Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Gun Control News


  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    xFelix

xFelix

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Joined:30 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:00 PM



What do you guys think of this article?

Would you agree that gun control is just counter productive to the goal it has been intended to serve?

Would you agree that some form of gun control is necessary?


Let's keep it civil though, no need to act as savage as our politicians make us seem.

Edited by xFelix, 20 May 2013 - 04:02 PM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.


#2    dannyboy52

dannyboy52

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined:15 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male

  • You Can Fool Some People All Of The Time,And All Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Cant Fool All Of The People All Of The Time

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think having a handgun for protection in your own home is acceptable.However I really dont think the constitution was really taking the future into consideration with the "Right To Bear Arms" passage,and of course the NRA will back the constitution to the hilt.At the end of the day it is not the legal gun permits that are causing the problem, it's the illegal purchase and use of all types of firearms that is the problem.Health and safety checks should be carried out in a more diligent fashion as some mental health patients seem to able to buy arms.It IS a difficult step and I really would like to see some changes in the right to bear arms ammendment,but no I dont have the complete answer.


#3    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

It's easy and clear to work out.

Will a nut case or criminal who is going to break the law and kill people going to care about getting a gun legally and with a license? No. So what difference will it make? Good honest people will not be able to defend themselves against criminals or nut cases or the government.


Also you don't want the US to become the UK.....

View Postdannyboy52, on 20 May 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

I think having a handgun for protection in your own home is acceptable.However I really dont think the constitution was really taking the future into consideration with the "Right To Bear Arms" passage,and of course the NRA will back the constitution to the hilt.At the end of the day it is not the legal gun permits that are causing the problem, it's the illegal purchase and use of all types of firearms that is the problem.Health and safety checks should be carried out in a more diligent fashion as some mental health patients seem to able to buy arms.It IS a difficult step and I really would like to see some changes in the right to bear arms ammendment,but no I dont have the complete answer.


So if the government decided to start putting everyone into death camps and had full military control hand guns would be enough to stop it?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

    Alien Abducter

  • Closed
  • 4,720 posts
  • Joined:25 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

What's so bad about gun control?


#5    preacherman76

preacherman76

    Humble Servent

  • Member
  • 10,841 posts
  • Joined:16 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Parts Unknown

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

What's so bad about gun control?

Watch the video.



Anyhow, I cant believe abc is running this story. Maybe that governmnet AP phone records thing really backfired. No pun intended.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#6    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

    sapere aude

  • Member
  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seoul/Berlin

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

The video does not take insular laws, and how they don't work, into context.


#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,421 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I think our founding fathers were smarter than you think and were taking the future into consideration when giving us the right to bear arms.  Maybe they didn't know they types of weapons we have now would exist but they knew government and knew someone would decide we shouldn't have them at all at some point.

Of course we need some gun control but it fails to keep them out of the hands that steal them or get them by illegal means.  My problem with some of the laws that deal with people with mental difficulties its too broad.  They want to band anyone that has ever seen a psychologist for any reason from getting one.


#8    Thanato

Thanato

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,114 posts
  • Joined:27 Jun 2004

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

There is a drastic difference between a Gun Ban and Gun Control.

Gun control can be just as easy as screening people who purchase guns, ensuring that they do not have a history of violent tendencies.

Yes criminals don't care, but the person who has snapped and will snap again they more then likely will go through the proper channels.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

****
"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato
****

#9    Odin11

Odin11

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined:15 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

  • I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostCoffey, on 20 May 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

It's easy and clear to work out.

Will a nut case or criminal who is going to break the law and kill people going to care about getting a gun legally and with a license? No. So what difference will it make? Good honest people will not be able to defend themselves against criminals or nut cases or the government.


First, good honest people should have no problem passing checks so I think that point is moot.
Second, the argument you’re making is “criminals are just going to end up breaking them, so there’s really no point in making laws.” Do you really think thats a good argument?

Edited by Odin11, 20 May 2013 - 09:06 PM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#10    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostOdin11, on 20 May 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

First, good honest people should have no problem passing checks so I think that point is moot.
Second, the argument you’re making is “criminals are just going to end up breaking them, so there’s really no point in making laws.” Do you really think thats a good argument?

if it's the criminals that are the problem then why make the laws for normal people? They want to take automatic weapons away from everyone, not just put checks in place. The checks will be for normal handguns etc and if they go the ay of Canada where they cna class you as mentally unstable without reason... Then this isn't going to go well is it. You probably don't evne know why your country has the 2nd Amendment and what they fought against.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#11    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

    sapere aude

  • Member
  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seoul/Berlin

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Laws are for everyone, not just criminals or "normal people".

Actually, it is hard to tell what "they" want, since there is no real discussion taking place. Gun control is a pretty wide field, with lots of different rule-sets. Right now, only the extremes are in the focus of intention, which is not helping the case at all.


#12    Odin11

Odin11

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined:15 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

  • I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostCoffey, on 20 May 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

if it's the criminals that are the problem then why make the laws for normal people? They want to take automatic weapons away from everyone, not just put checks in place. The checks will be for normal handguns etc and if they go the ay of Canada where they cna class you as mentally unstable without reason... Then this isn't going to go well is it. You probably don't evne know why your country has the 2nd Amendment and what they fought against.

Why be rude? No really? Why do you make the assumption that I’m ignorant of U.S history? Why make the assumption that I’m anti-gun or anti- 2nd Amendment?   This is the first time I’ve said anything in a gun control topic, you know nothing of my views on guns. The only thing you can take from my post is that I disagreed with your bad argument. This is why it’s near impossible to have real discussions about gun control. All you saw was that I disagreed with you, and then you just assumed that I’m anti-gun and called me ignorant. How is that helping?

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#13    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostOdin11, on 20 May 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Why be rude? No really? Why do you make the assumption that I’m ignorant of U.S history? Why make the assumption that I’m anti-gun or anti- 2nd Amendment?   This is the first time I’ve said anything in a gun control topic, you know nothing of my views on guns. The only thing you can take from my post is that I disagreed with your bad argument. This is why it’s near impossible to have real discussions about gun control. All you saw was that I disagreed with you, and then you just assumed that I’m anti-gun and called me ignorant. How is that helping?

I did not assume you are anti gun, but if you knew anything about the 2nd amendment you would certainly want fully auto.semi auto assault rifles.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#14    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,434 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:27North 80West

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostOdin11, on 20 May 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

First, good honest people should have no problem passing checks so I think that point is moot.
Second, the argument you’re making is “criminals are just going to end up breaking them, so there’s really no point in making laws.” Do you really think thats a good argument?

It is a good argument if the purpose of the law is to eliminate guns in the hands of the wrong people.  If the purpose of the law is something else, unstated, then perhaps not.

Most of the time any given law creates more unintended consequences than it does achieve its stated goals.


#15    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

    sapere aude

  • Member
  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seoul/Berlin

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 21 May 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

It is a good argument if the purpose of the law is to eliminate guns in the hands of the wrong people.  If the purpose of the law is something else, unstated, then perhaps not.

Most of the time any given law creates more unintended consequences than it does achieve its stated goals.
The top line: Indeed.

Second line: Do you have an example for what you have in mind? Do you have a general distrust towards your lawmakers?





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users