Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen birthday party turns into shootout

Michelle

Hours after hosting a birthday celebration for her 18-year-old godson, Reanita Carter sat on her couch Sunday evening, shocked by the chaos and controversy that had unfolded.

Eight cars had surrounded her 13th Street home, four in front and four in back, but it wasn't guests that emerged. It was bullets. Rounds and rounds of gunfire.

Five people got shot. Bullets ripped wood off the wall in her daughter's bedroom, hit the windowsill and the door frame above Carter's front door. Bullets shot through the banister surrounding her front porch and even struck the front porch of the house next door.

"It sounded like a hundred of them [bullets]," Carter said. She had just gone around the block when it happened, she said. Upon returning, she saw the stalled traffic and police cars, but had no idea the drama that brought them had unfolded at her house.

cont...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/dec/01/birthday-party-turns-into-shootout/?local

This area has become known as "Little Chicago" with incidents similar to this occuring more and more frequently. I guarantee you won't hear about it on national news.

• Like 2

It's all over the local news there. Why would the national news pick it up? A kid was shot in the eye here the other day it wasn't in the national news.

Should every shooting be national news?

I'm not being condescending, I really want to know.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

It's all over the local news there. Why would the national news pick it up? A kid was shot in the eye here the other day it wasn't in the national news.

This is what the national media calls a mass shooting. If the circumstances had been different it would have been all over the news. But, you're right...if national news reported every gang related shooting there wouldn't be enough time left to fan the flames on other issues.

• Like 1

This is what the national media calls a mass shooting. If the circumstances had been different it would have been all over the news. But, you're right...if national news reported every gang related shooting there wouldn't be enough time left to fan the flames on other issues.

In this case no one was killed, it wasn't at a school or a mall or a movie theater with hundreds of people.

I guess I just don't see the point in haranguing the media about it.

In this case no one was killed, it wasn't at a school or a mall or a movie theater with hundreds of people.

I guess I just don't see the point in haranguing the media about it.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm sick and tired of the violence no one has the chutzpah to openly address and condemn.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

From the article:

"But Ridgedale Neighborhood Association President Gary Ball said following the shooting that he has no sympathy for Carter and he wants her to move.

Sunday evening, neighbors identified Carter's home as a place that drew crowds so large that the police had to disperse them. One neighbor said police were there about three months ago.

"We're sick and tired of this crap," said Ball. "Everybody in these neighborhoods live in fear."

Ball said Carter's home is among a few in the Ridgedale community that draw negative attention."

It doesn't sound like the neighbourhood was particularly fond of Carter or her house.

• Like 3

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm sick and tired of the violence no one has the chutzpah to openly address and condemn.

I completely agree with the condemnation of violence, but the fact remains that there are too many gun crimes everyday for it to be realistically reported on nationally everyday. It would take 24 hours or more to cover every case from the day before.

Perhaps it speaks to a larger issue....

It would be better to have a little honest reporting than to run the same stories over and over again, manipulating and polarizing people's opinions on one or two issues.

• Like 2

It doesn't sound like the neighbourhood was particularly fond of Carter or her house.

There are a lot of great people in that community who are trying to revitalize it, but it seems they are fighting a losing battle.

The unfortunately this stuff happens all the time and has been going on for a very long time. We need to be careful who we hang around and spread messages of love and non violence.

My heart always skips a beat, when I hear about another shooting, wondering if one of our friend's grandchildren might have been a victim.

Edited by Michelle

From the article:

"But Ridgedale Neighborhood Association President Gary Ball said following the shooting that he has no sympathy for Carter and he wants her to move.

Sunday evening, neighbors identified Carter's home as a place that drew crowds so large that the police had to disperse them. One neighbor said police were there about three months ago.

"We're sick and tired of this crap," said Ball. "Everybody in these neighborhoods live in fear."

Ball said Carter's home is among a few in the Ridgedale community that draw negative attention."

I was just going to put the same, seems she is known for mixing with thugs.

She is 34 and has 7 children, it does not mention anything about the father/s or what she does for a living (apart from breed)

Yes she is black and no doubt the shooters were too, maybe the community will start rioting in protest to these scum who are making them live in fear.

I do not understand how she was allowed to have the party, she is known to the police, they know she has unsavory company, why did they not just stop it from the beginning, tell her to hire a hall........or are the police afraid of them too?

She was not even there when it happened, she had just gone round the block..talk about good timing. She was mainly concerned about losing her housing voucher and may become homeless because of the shooting!!!! no concerns about the neighbourhood and the disturbances she causes them. I hope they do throw her out of the community, there has to be somewhere which will take scum.??

It was a kids birthday party ... and the shooting was later in the day , hours after the party ~

It was a kids birthday party ... and the shooting was later in the day , hours after the party ~

No it wasn't....she was sitting in shock hours after the shooting.

No it wasn't....she was sitting in shock hours after the shooting.

'Hours after hosting' ... I think it points to the shooting just hours after the party ... the party guests have left ~ and the shooting is an issue for the adults in the house

Or am I still reading it wrong ? :unsure2:

She is 34 and has 7 children, it does not mention anything about the father/s or what she does for a living (apart from breed)

:tsu: lol

Yes she is black and no doubt the shooters were too, maybe the community will start rioting in protest to these scum who are making them live in fear.

Twitter is awfully silent when it comes to black on black crime. But hey, #BLACKLIVESMATTER, right?

• Like 2

'Hours after hosting' ... I think it points to the shooting just hours after the party ... the party guests have left ~ and the shooting is an issue for the adults in the house

Or am I still reading it wrong ? :unsure2:

You are reading it wrong...the shooting happened during the party. She was still in shock hours after hosting the party. It wasn't exactly a kid's birthday party, it was for an eighteen year old with 80 guests in that tiny house.

Another link...

http://www.wrcbtv.co...njures-5-people

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

You are reading it wrong...the shooting happened during the party. She was still in shock hours after hosting the party. It wasn't exactly a kid's birthday party, it was for an eighteen year old with 80 guests.

Another link...

Ahhh okay ... thanks ... second language and over the other side of the globe syndrome on my part ... much apologies ~

• Like 1

In countries where shootings are rare, yes, in the US, not national news worthy.

You are reading it wrong...the shooting happened during the party. She was still in shock hours after hosting the party. It wasn't exactly a kid's birthday party, it was for an eighteen year old with 80 guests in that tiny house.

Another link...

This article made me fall over. Not every shooting is gang related, so why? People retaliating for not being invited to the party?

ACK, seriously lady?!?!?! Who in their right mind gets 8 cars worth of their buddies together to shoot up a house because they weren't invited to the party?

• Like 1

Just by living in the area people are inadvertently associated with a gang in one way or the other. Somebody's sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, friend, neighbor, whatever, it automatically makes you someone else's enemy and a potential target. Having a business in the area that would include my husband and I, along with our employees, just because of people we might do legitimate business with or hire.

I am particularly disgusted with the apathy about it right now because of Ferguson...and the fact that the grandchildren of a few of our friends were at this party.

Has anyone told who the shooters were ? Or is it gonna be a retaliation thing now ? One thing that needs to be taught , especially in minority communities , is that they need to educate the importance of why it is right to report crime and not be fearful to do so. This snitches thing has scared people into oppression meanwhile the criminal goes unpunished..

Has anyone told who the shooters were ? Or is it gonna be a retaliation thing now ? One thing that needs to be taught , especially in minority communities , is that they need to educate the importance of why it is right to report crime and not be fearful to do so. This snitches thing has scared people into oppression meanwhile the criminal goes unpunished..

People know, but they aren't going to talk. There will be retaliation in the next couple of days.

Just by living in the area people are inadvertently associated with a gang in one way or the other. Somebody's sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, friend, neighbor, whatever, it automatically makes you someone else's enemy and a potential target. Having a business in the area that would include my husband and I, along with our employees, just because of people we might do legitimate business with or hire.

I am particularly disgusted with the apathy about it right now because of Ferguson...and the fact that the grandchildren of a few of our friends were at this party.

Community is important. Maybe communities with such problems need to have more town meetings. It used to be that neighbors knew what the kids were up to in the neighborhood. I just hope hope that people don't give up in the world and throw in the towel like it's all going to hell in a basket real fast.

As dumb as I may sound, I still believe in love , that it works and can fix anything.

If I had an issue like that in my community , i would gather people for a meeting and do something together to solve the issue.

People know, but they aren't going to talk. There will be retaliation in the next couple of days.

You know what , don't give up. Contact everyone you can. Make a change .