Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Haunting

mnbutterfly

I have been experiencing a few things that I just can't explain. Not sure whether to just ignore it or try to do something about this like a house blessing. We live in a townhome and sometimes we hear walking or even running upstairs. My husband and have ignored it thinking that it could be the vibration from the next door neigbors. Before we moved into this townhome we lived in a home built in the 1930's I believe, it was pretty old. I never experienced anything until one night my husband and I both woke up to the sound of a child talking. We have kids, but my son was gone and my daughter was a newborn baby at the time and could not talk. It was words, but we couldn't make them out. Now that we are moved into this townhouse nothing major has happened until now. It's been a year since we moved. The other day I heard the toilet flush by itself twice. My son was next to me, and my daughter was upstairs. I thought maybe I just had a broken toilet flapper or whatever those things are called, but it's not cracked or broken, not leaking water. After I heard it flush the second time there were water droplets all over the seat of the toilet and a little on the floor. I wiped it down, I also got a little scared and said a prayer just in case. Then I found an unexplained red stain on our white bed sheets. My son was sleeping up there at the time, but he didn't have juice or any markers. I looked and looked, but couldn't find a thing. My son also told me that he didn't do it, still not sure though. Then last night while my husband was gone overnight for work, I was sitting in bed watching t.v. I felt a burning sensation and looked down to see four small scratch marks on my hand. It really hurt for little scratches. I am a little freaked out over this. I prayed last night again. What do you think about this and should I just give it time to see what else occurs?

• Like 1

Hi Mnbutterfly and welcome to UM. Many of us have had similar experiences in the past similar to what you are describing, as I did when I was a lot younger. With me, the activity got to such a point I got angry instead of being afraid and told whatever was causing the noises and strange events to leave in no uncertain terms. You say that you pray, I assume you have faith? I'm not a believer myself but I was brought up as a christian and when I told whatever it was to leave I was saying things like "God has won - you must go". I can't remember the specifics now (We are talking over 25 years ago!) but it certainly had the desired effect as I was almost in a rage and I didn't experience any other activity after that, or at all since. I'm sure other members here can also give you some thoughts. Keep posting and let us know how it is going.

• Like 1

I live in a Haunted home and I was going to say that maybe just try and live with it, if it's not causing you any harm. Which maybe it is because of the scratches, I have actually found when I've had multiple experiences in one night, telling it to just stop usually stops. Though it may not want to cause you harm, it may only want your attention. My house is haunted by a young girl, and she loves attention.

But first I suggest finding out the history of the house, if you are a religious person then once you have gotten the history maybe get someone from your faith. (I'm not a believer but it can't hurt)

So basically what Murk said.

• Like 1

First......

Many homeowners have experienced a toilet that seems to flush by itself.

If this has ever happened to you, you probably wondered if you needed to call a plumber or ghost busters. It’s not so mysterious…just a problem in the plumbing.

A toilet may flush by itself when the Douglas valve seal becomes warped.

When this valve seal becomes warped, the toilet tank will continually leak water into the bowl and the fill sensors are triggered that the toilet bowl is full and needs to be flushed.

This is the same principle as when you fill the toilet with buckets of water. After a while, you’ll find the toilet reaches a certain level and then automatically flushes itself.

To check if your toilet is leaking from the tank to the bowl, you should use the food-coloring test.

After flushing the toilet, add several drops of food coloring into the toilet bowl tank and wait about half an hour. If you see any traces of the food coloring in the toilet bowl water, then you know there is a leak. If the water is clear, there is no leak.

If you detect the food coloring in the toilet bowl’s water, then you know that the problem is caused by too much water leaking past the flapper and filling the toilet bowl. If this is the case, you will need to have the flapper replaced. The flapper valve is made of rubber and is very inexpensive.

If you are uncomfortable replacing this valve yourself, a local plumber will be able to easily take care of the problem.

http://www.elocalplumbers.com/content/plumbing-articles/my-toilet-flushes-by-itself-3928

As for the rest, as you said, neighbors, or outside noise. No need to freak yourself out more by thinking a " haunting ". Considering hauntings, ghosts, etc. have not even been close to proven to exist. Not even enough evidence to get Universities to look into, or PHD carrying professionals.

Start looking into what the noises and such can be caused by, without thinking " paranormal ".

Besides, if ghosts existed, they would not bother someone as hot as you :)

• Like 2

In the end you want to feel at home again. You want to feel safe, and perhaps even more importantly to have your kids feel safe. You seem like a rational person who has tried to rule out some mundane things - which is a good thing.

I'm not a believer in ghosts or hauntings and I'll say that up front. I'll also say however that I don't know what's going on at your house.

If it makes you feel better to have a cleansing done, then you should do it - because in the end, its your house and you and your family have to live there. I'm sure there are lots of people here at the forum who could recommend the best way to go about it.

There are lots of different people here on the site - some of us believe and some of us don't. Regardless of who tells you what, its ultimately your decision regarding what to do. Do whatever is going to make you feel at home in your home.

Best of luck, and welcome to UM.

• Like 2

I think you're just freaking yourself out without cause.

Think of logical explanations before jumping to the paranormal.

Just my opinion.

:yes:

• Like 2

Thank you all for your opinions I do appreciate them. Sakari, I did read about the food-coloring test even before you mentioned it. The toilet isn't leaking and seems to be operating normally. Part of me thinks maybe my son might have flushed something down the toilet he shouldn't have. Lol. While I can't figure out why I developed scratches within a few minutes, I am not fully convinced it is something bad. I once was a skeptic like some people on here. Let me make clear I respect all of your feelings/ advice. I think if it weren't for my past experiences with children in general or with unexplained phanomena I would have passed. I was a kitten who did wrong. Don't pressure , but if you love her stay with her.

Thank you all for your opinions I do appreciate them. Sakari, I did read about the food-coloring test even before you mentioned it. The toilet isn't leaking and seems to be operating normally. Part of me thinks maybe my son might have flushed something down the toilet he shouldn't have. Lol. While I can't figure out why I developed scratches within a few minutes, I am not fully convinced it is something bad. I once was a skeptic like some people on here. Let me make clear I respect all of your feelings/ advice. I think if it weren't for my past experiences with children in general or with unexplained phanomena I would have passed. I was a kitten who did wrong. Don't pressure , but if you love her stay with her.

You are very welcome....And welcome to UM. Hope you decide to stick around.

Your scratches......Google Dermographism

Sorry about that last part. I walked away from my computer before I finished posting and my jokster sister finished the rest. Ha, ha.

• Like 1

What I was going to post before was I once was a skeptic, but I have experienced so many things that I could never explain. For instance, when I was a ten my friend and I did that silly bloody mary thing in the mirror. Not such a good idea at the time, but we didn't know any better. Later that night, the faucet turned on in the bathroom and I got up to see who was in there, but no one was in there, everyone was sound asleep. Also, I have heard a child talking late at night once. No matter what I experience I also make sure I can rule everything else out and I always make sure that I do this. I am a very logical thinker, but at the end of the day I realized I also have to keep an open mind. That is just me. Thank you all very much again for your kind advice. And the lesson I learned, never to walk away from the computer without logging out. Lol.

What I was going to post before was I once was a skeptic, but I have experienced so many things that I could never explain. For instance, when I was a ten my friend and I did that silly bloody mary thing in the mirror. Not such a good idea at the time, but we didn't know any better. Later that night, the faucet turned on in the bathroom and I got up to see who was in there, but no one was in there, everyone was sound asleep. Also, I have heard a child talking late at night once. No matter what I experience I also make sure I can rule everything else out and I always make sure that I do this. I am a very logical thinker, but at the end of the day I realized I also have to keep an open mind. That is just me. Thank you all very much again for your kind advice. And the lesson I learned, never to walk away from the computer without logging out. Lol.

Just do not keep your mind so open that your brains fall out :)

• Like 1

Heh heh, I do that to my brother and sister when they stay logged into facebook and my parent's house.

I posted something crude about my brother and a pickle on his wall once...lol

• Like 2

So has anything else happened since you originally posted?

Nothing much has happened. I hear noises from time to time, but nothing to really be concerned over. My daughter who is two kept waking up and screaming for nights. Some nights it was hard for her to fall asleep and some nights it seemed as if she was having nightmares. I decided to get some holy water from the local catholic church. I used this around the house and haven't heard anything or had anything out of the norm happen since.

Well that is good news :) I think your daughter is having nightmares, and they will pass. My gf's son who is three used to get them almost every night about 6 months ago - literally waking up screaming. He's fine now and sleeps all night although it did take a little while to pass. It sounds like you have much less to be concerned over now and that's always good! :tu:

• Like 1

If it doesn't pass (the waking screaming) look into night terrors. It's sleep disorder and can be very scary.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My oldest son had sleep terrors when he was younger it scared the daylights out of me. He would get up running (still asleep) screaming bloody Murder I actually thought someone was in my house after him but I caught him in the hall and quickly realized he was asleep but I hugged and hugged him trying to console him but the screaming just went on and on. It still breaks my heart just to remember it. It was just so anguished and terrified but I was scared to wake him up since I to use to sleep walk and my mother was told to never wake me during an episode.

Also you can take him to a doctor but in my experience there was nothing they could do. Said he would grow out of it.

It's interesting your son had Night Terrors because sometimes sleep disorders are genetic and now you are having sleep problems.

It's right not to wake someone during an episode because you can get hurt. All sleep disorders are related in one way or the other. Therapy can be helpful as can benzos for some.

Best of luck to you

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

Thanks cold and yes my youngest had them to for a short period of time luckily my children haven't sleep walked but I didn't start until I was 14 and living in very stressful conditions so I'm really hoping its not genetic.

Thanks cold and yes my youngest had them to for a short period of time luckily my children haven't sleep walked but I didn't start until I was 14 and living in very stressful conditions so I'm really hoping its not genetic.

Hopefully. Stress can cause sleep disorders too.