Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Is The NRA So Powerful?

Yamato

imo it is a lot simpler.

we, the NRA members, gunowners\people, bring money to political fight.

i wonder how many of antigunners here, are ready to put their money where their mouth is, cuz we progunners do it all the time.

• Like 2

i wonder how many of antigunners here, are ready to put their money where their mouth is, cuz we progunners do it all the time.

You might pay regular NRA membership dues and receive individual benefits and selective incentives both, just like you would buy your own guns to economically represent your position on gun ownership --> putting your money where your mouth is. As Professor Munger alluded to, failing all three of Dr. Olson's factors for overcoming the free-rider problem, antigunners want the free ride, and the gun owners are expected to pay in part for their own civil rights violations. Antigunners might donate to Obama/political campaigns and regularly pay their taxes, but on this particular issue it looks like another federalized "Everybody pay their share of what I want to do" complex.

The nra has there own lobbyist in DC. They have many backers from big shots from DC

• Like 2

The nra has there own lobbyist in DC. They have many backers from big shots from DC

Our representatives on Capitol Hill have millions upon millions of gun-owning constituents in every district of the United States too.

Better to lobby for what's explicitly guaranteed by law than to lobby for something that's not. I don't see drugs listed anywhere in our Constitution. I don't see Israel either. Except drugs and Israel don't kill anyone, I almost forgot that.

imo it is a lot simpler.

thats it in a nutshell. If the NRA does not do as its constituents ask it to then they dont exist as they wont have there membership

imo it is a lot simpler.

How has the NRA ever cleaned up after a gun party gone wild.

Did they help clean up after 20 shot kids, no they asked for more guns and a bigger party they don`t have to clean up after.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Our representatives on Capitol Hill have millions upon millions of gun-owning constituents in every district of the United States too.

Better to lobby for what's explicitly guaranteed by law than to lobby for something that's not. I don't see drugs listed anywhere in our Constitution. I don't see Israel either. Except drugs and Israel don't kill anyone, I almost forgot that.

The guns fighting a lost cause does though.

They are gaining support because they haven't to caved Obama as most of the GOP has. They don't define patriotism as the highest form of dissent when Republicans are in power, then call the opposition obstructionists when the Democrats are in power. They don't define bipartisanship as being conceding on everything to avoid being demonized into coercion by the left. They stand up for the Constitution and feel that this right was guaranteed because our founding fathers considered it to be essential and important, not because its some passing whim that could be dispensed with later, so that politically correct suits could question why it's a necessary right and abuse executive power to try and toss it out the window.

Edited by Order66

If I had the backing of America's last successful industry (gun making) I would be pretty powerful too...

The fight is not about liberty, it is about preserving Smith&Wesson.

• Like 4

If I had the backing of America's last successful industry (gun making) I would be pretty powerful too...

The fight is not about liberty, it is about preserving Smith&Wesson.

2nd Amendment: Founded in 1789

Smith & Wesson: Founded in 1852

The last successful industry? You're quite the America basher. And you say you're in Des Moines. Have you seen any signs of the US corn industry lately?

2nd Amendment: Founded in 1789

Smith & Wesson: Founded in 1852

The last successful industry? You're quite the America basher. And you say you're in Des Moines. Have you seen any signs of the US corn industry lately?

That is very little successful lately because of the drought and American products not really competitive on the international market because overpriced. But that is OK...

Yes, there are very few things that we, the once biggest exporter in the world, can still successfully export. And the biggest demand is American guns... sometimes they even try to smuggle them out... something we cannot say for the rest of our industrial products.

I just dont get all the gun bashing lately,i've never been anywhere and seen a rogue gun all hopped up on meth or a gun trying to jack someone for there gold chain.Nope never seen it happen,the problem is inside these peoples heads our culture now days is all messed up.We have become a society without morals,respect,or caring about anyone other than ourselves and we are looking for something to blame it on.Does anyone truly think criminals will voluntarily register there weapons?Turn them in?If so go to chicago where all barry's laws are in effect and take a walk late at night in good chunks of the city and see how that works out for you!

• Like 1

I just dont get all the gun bashing lately,i've never been anywhere and seen a rogue gun all hopped up on meth or a gun trying to jack someone for there gold chain.Nope never seen it happen,the problem is inside these peoples heads our culture now days is all messed up.We have become a society without morals,respect,or caring about anyone other than ourselves and we are looking for something to blame it on.Does anyone truly think criminals will voluntarily register there weapons?Turn them in?If so go to chicago where all barry's laws are in effect and take a walk late at night in good chunks of the city and see how that works out for you!

Insular solutions lead nowhere. I always like to put forward the good old NY City laws about handguns. Well, all it took in the good old days is to take the ferry to Jersey and within a block of the landing point there was a gun shop where anybody who wanted to could buy himself a gun, put it in his pocket and take the next ferry home, until the Brady laws came along. One might not have to do with the other, but gun violence has been on the decline since those laws were enacted. And they are still on the decline.

And toothless laws lead nowhere, if you want to ban non-registered guns the penalties have to be stiff, like several years without possibility of parole. When you get 1 year for holding up a liquor store, but 5 for using an unregistered gun in the process holding up liquor stores becomes economically not feasible. And if you use your own gun you soon will find yourself without one.

Prohibition only stopped the legal distillers yet caused gang violence to explode,the war on drugs is a absolute failure,soon as they pass a new law to ban something criminals just get rich.

• Like 1

Prohibition only stopped the legal distillers yet caused gang violence to explode,the war on drugs is a absolute failure,soon as they pass a new law to ban something criminals just get rich.

I am not talking prohibition, I am talking control. And Booze, in most states, is a good example.

I am not talking about legal citizens who obey the law,im talking about criminals control means nothing to them.Be it guns,booze,drugs,or anything else and yes booze is controlled now during prohibition not so much.

I am not talking about legal citizens who obey the law,im talking about criminals control means nothing to them.Be it guns,booze,drugs,or anything else and yes booze is controlled now during prohibition not so much.

Criminals are not in it to be criminals, as a rule they are in it to make money just like anybody else doing a job or they are mentally deranged. The solution is to make it damn expensive to earn money by being a criminal and putting the deranged into an asylum. And long mandatory sentences makes it damn expensive. And having guns controlled also does as the countries where they are show. There they have to fork out a few thousand to get themselves an old Makarov illegally. That in itself makes it cost prohibitive to use it in petty crime.

• Like 1

I get what your saying questionmark,i just am looking at all the unintended consequences that can happen that is all.Everyone should not be punished because some nut jobs had a bad day.

I get what your saying questionmark,i just am looking at all the unintended consequences that can happen that is all.Everyone should not be punished because some nut jobs had a bad day.

Where I agree.

That is very little successful lately because of the drought and American products not really competitive on the international market because overpriced. But that is OK...

Yes, there are very few things that we, the once biggest exporter in the world, can still successfully export. And the biggest demand is American guns... sometimes they even try to smuggle them out... something we cannot say for the rest of our industrial products.

Corn is an industry, an industrial product with a myriad of uses. Anyone in Iowa would know this. We're the biggest exporter of corn in the world. We feed the world, literally. Come down off your anti-American hobby horse for a moment and don't blame your country on the drought next. Millions would starve if we didn't feed them. Though there's always another poor reason not to show gratitude for the good things people do.