Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Missing Iowa Girls

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#91    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,210 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

Depressing. I have no other word.

#92    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

View Postsupervike, on 22 August 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

The mother of Lyric was hospitalized today, but no update on the girls:

http://www.kwwl.com/...rl-hospitalized

I don't know why this incident was reported.
Given the history and the circumstances, it's certainly not surprising, and I fail to see the purpose of reporting it.

#93    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,424 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postregi, on 22 August 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

I don't know why this incident was reported.
Given the history and the circumstances, it's certainly not surprising, and I fail to see the purpose of reporting it.

Completly agree.

#94    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

I've been thinking about this case, and about Robert Carpenter's sighting.
I think that whether or not Carpenter actually saw the girls that day isn't as interesting (to me) as the statements by him and his wife that they often saw the girls in that area before.
The family's of the girls have stated that the girls never rode that far- as far as the lake, that is, so this info should have been clarified.
I think it could be a resaonable conclusion that the family simply might not be aware of where the girls actually rode. Lyric wasn't where she was thought to be just the previous week.
If just one of the girls were truly often seen by Carpenter and/or others in the Carpenter's part of the neighborhood, then that should have been established during the door-to-doors.
Assuming it was determined as accurate, then I would wonder what it was that attracted them to that part of the neighborhood, and I would focus on that part of the neighborhood.
After all, that's the general vicinity of where their items were located.

#95    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,424 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

I agree with that.  The way I perceive it was the the Grandmother had been basically raising Lyric for quite some time.  I think honestly (and this is just conjecture) that the Grandmother really had no clue of Lyric's overall coming and goings.  It's not hugely unusual.  I realize times have changed a bit, but I can clearly recall being of that age and having free reign in Evansdale, especially during the summer.

I grew up right down the road from the Grandma (on River Forest Rd) and it was no big deal to ride my bike down to the lake.  The lake didn't have the bike trail at that time (it now circles the lake) but it had a old WW 2 army tank that we would play on.  The tank is still there...but I don't know if that would still be an attraction, especially for girls.

I do think she (the Grandma) was just unaware of how far Lyric would actually go.

#96    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, I think it's a rather naive notion that the girls wouldn't have gone that far. I realize it could be a startling revelation, but the girls could have arrived there in minutes, and it seems an obvious place to go.
It seems to me that the lake itself would be an attraction, but with the park and the trail, the area is even more so. Even those east woods might have an attraction for some kids.

I seem to recall it said that Lyric had been going to the grandmother's only recently.
That could explain why Mrs. Carpenter expressed more familiarity with Elizabeth.

#97    starchild1976

starchild1976

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

It is sad these girls haven't been found yet. There are 15 convicted, registered sex offenders in the Evansdale area. They were riding their bikes. It seems common sense to me.

#98    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,424 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Believe me, anyone who was on the 'registered sex offender' list has been checked, rechecked, and triple checked.

#99    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

Imo, the longer this takes the less and less it seems the two drug troubled parents could have had anything to do with it.

And imo, the less  likely the girls are alive or still in the United States.

How horrible. I can't even fathom the anguish of not knowing the fate of your child

Edited by QuiteContrary, 04 September 2012 - 04:01 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#100    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Police say that the last reported sighting of the girls was between 12:30 and 1:00pm on Gilbert Drive, in the vicinity of Meyers Lake.
My question is why would they just now "reveal" this? How long have they known this? Surely, they don't expect memories to be better now than they were then!
Good night nurse.
http://www.desmoines...sing-Iowa-girls

#101    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

I want to point out that the sighting doesn't sound like Carpenter's sighting because Carpenter had said he'd seen the girls between 12:00 and 3:00pm... and he lives on Lake Avenue and said he was watering his lawn at the time.
Now, if he lives on or near the corner of Lake Ave., I guess it's possible that he could have seen them from a distance...you know, not necessarily riding past his FRONT yard, although that's what he seemed to indicate, but he also couldn't narrow the time-frame.

I studied the area again on google maps, and noticed a skate park located on Gilbert, 2 streets east of Lake Ave.
I've never heard any suggestion that the girls could have been going there, or any expressed knowledge that the girls had gone there before.
Carpenter had said that the girls would "ride past" and "turn around". I wonder if the girls had been going to the skatepark those times and turned around because friends weren't there...something like that.
I've said it before, but because of Carpenter's statement that the girls often rode by that area, then authorities need to find out why.
It's odd that the parents weren't aware of any attraction the girls had to that area.

#102    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

There is no new news on this at all

#103    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 08 October 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

There is no new news on this at all

Yeah, that article I linked was dated 9-14...

I've thought about it, and either way I look at it, I just don't get it.
If it was Carpenter's sighting they're referring to in the article- which wasn't officially acknowledged before, then why are they now recognizing it?
And if it's a different sighting and considered to be credible, then why didn't they report it at the time it was learned?
The thing for me is that they can say two things...they can say " 'A' is the last known, or definite sighting, and 'B' is the last reported, or possible sighting", and I don't know why they didn't, or why they'd withhold that info.
I'm not saying that I think it would have made a difference, I'm just trying to make the point that I think that would have been a better way to handle such information.

#104    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,424 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

At least they haven't given up looking....Seems the police were 'recanvassing' areas around Evansdale last night.  Hopefully, there is more info to go on for them.

http://www.kcrg.com/...-174795631.html

#105    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,424 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

There have been 2 bodies found in the woods, apparently by hunters.

No more info right now.

http://wcfcourier.co...19bb2963f4.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users