Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Court considers soldiers 'right to life'

soldiers right to life

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,379 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Britain's highest court is to debate whether soldiers in battle are entitled to the right to life under human rights legislation.

The Supreme Court will reportedly investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of Private Phillip Hewett in Iraq in July 2005 and examine whether troops in war zones are covered by Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

http://www.telegraph...ht-to-life.html

Posted Image

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

This is going to sound harsh, but these men and women know what they are signing on to. So I don't understand how anyone can make a fuss about it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

If you are not willing to risk your life then don't volunteer of your own free will to join the armed forces.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

So... If a soldier is killed in battle...  Will the EU send a cop to arrest the enemy soldier?....   Oh yeah...That'll stop 'em in their tracks....

#5    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

the courts would be better deciding if soldiers come back with mental health problems its the states job to look after them .at the moment its left to charities and 10% of the homeless are ex soldiers .
its a national disgrace .soldiers are prepared to give there lives for whatever cause the goverment of the day decides is right but they should be looked after if it ****s them up.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,753 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I agree, a soldier signs up knowing he/she is putting their life on the line - that is not the issue here. As I see it, once a serviceman/woman has volunteered for active service, the Ministry of Defence/Government has a duty of care toward them. This means that no-one gets sent into harm's way lacking the proper kit (both defensive and offensive)! If service personnel lose their lives due to lack of items such as body armour, protected vehicles, correct intelligence and briefing etc, then the authorities must be held to account.

It states in that article that Private Hewitt's vehicle was an 'armoured snatch Landrover' - there was no such thing! The 'Snatches' were what they sound like - lightly constructed vehicles designed for a swift dash forward to capture or disable an enemy quickly and return immediately to cover, and were used extensively in Northern Ireland during the 'Troubles'. What they were not designed for was swanning around in a djebel bristling with IED's. (This is just one instance among many, stretching back to my time and beyond.)

Basically I'm with smurf on this one.

Edited by ealdwita, 13 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#7    Insaniac

Insaniac

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

So, in regards to combat scenarios, the supreme court's essentially telling British soldier's they have no right to live?

Not sure I'm even understanding this correctly, to be honest...

"He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened their heart against Him, and succeeded"? ~ Job 9:4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users