Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Upside down trees

Q-C

I thought I'd heard it all about bigfoot and it's behaviors, but this is a new one for me.

I recently watched a 2010 episode of Monsters and Mysteries in Alaska. On the island of Prince of Wales in Alaska, there are uprooted trees planted upside down, root end toward sky. They showed 2 trees and they looked very old. They checked for heavy equipment signs, like from loggers, but saw none. The claim was bigfoot does this to mark it's territory.

To clear up any misunderstandings:

--I am a skeptic

--I do no think bigfoot planted the trees

--I am fully aware of the "credibility" of these shows

--I do no think the trees grow that way

Has anyone heard of these upside down trees or seen them? Is this some type of logger joke?

I gotta go out for a while but I'll catch up later.

I thought I'd heard it all about bigfoot and it's behaviors, but this is a new one for me.

I recently watched a 2010 episode of Monsters and Mysteries in Alaska. On the island of Prince of Wales in Alaska, there are uprooted trees planted upside down, root end toward sky. They showed 2 trees and they looked very old. They checked for heavy equipment signs, like from loggers, but saw none. The claim was bigfoot does this to mark it's territory.

To clear up any misunderstandings:

--I am a skeptic

--I do no think bigfoot planted the trees

--I am fully aware of the "credibility" of these shows

--I do no think the trees grow that way

Has anyone heard of these upside down trees or seen them? Is this some type of logger joke?

I gotta go out for a while but I'll catch up later.

It is reported that the upside down tress are the way a male BF "marks" his territory. That had to be a huge BF to be able to pull the tress up and then plant them upside down. I hope to never encounter him..

Sounds like BS to me.

No doubt, I just wondered what it could be. How did they get turned upside down?

But, now that I think about it, they only showed this briefly and maybe because they said they were uprooted trees stuck back in upside down I thought that was what I was looking at. But maybe it is just the anatomy of that particular tree and when old and dead looks "upside down".

Don't know.

Wondered if anyone else had ever seen these.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Watch the video and see the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQsOv3AwjV0

@linttrap

That's the episode. Thanks. Do they look like they are actually upside down trees? If so, how is it done? Why?

Or is it just an illusion.

Also wondering what that professor in the episodes teaches. I'll catch his name and search it.

Edited by QuiteContrary

From North American Bigfoot Search site:

"Dr. Robert Alley, a retired professor of Anatomy and Physiology has been a Sasquatch researcher since 1974, holds degrees in anthropology, physical therapy and chiropractic, and is best known as the author of “Raincoast Sasquatch,” an excellent introduction to sasquatches in general, and particularly to the surprisingly rich historical reports, Native beliefs, as well as continuing reports and evidence of Sasquatches in the Pacific coastal rain forests. (“Raincoast Sasquatch,” 2003, Hancock House Publishers, Blaine, WA.)

While travelling as a provider of rehabilitative health care in British Columbia, Alberta, Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Louisiana, Alley worked with sasquatch/bigfoot investigators such as Thomas Steenburg, Rene Dahinden Dr. Grover Krantz and others. He has personally investigated reports from Florida to Quebec, California to Alaska and the Northwest Territories and is especially interested in forensic evidence such as hair, tracks and hand prints as well as forensic art and witnesses’ descriptions of wild hominids, reported eye-shine and their behavior.

In a forthcoming book, “Wild Men of the North,” Alley compares current and historical reports of sasquatches across the northern and subarctic forests of Western Canada, Alaska and Eastern Siberia with a variety of northern native accounts and examines evidence for northern Sasquatches as a larger relict subspecies of fossil hominid such as Homo erectus, Meganthropus, Denisova Man, as well as feral humans or manlike bipedal apes.

Dr. Alley lives in Ketchikan, Alaska where he continues teaching and doing research as well as investigating reports in Alaska and northern British Columbia. He is currently working on the laboratory identification of hair samples, tracks and fingerprints and is part of a large–scale hominid DNA study.

Here is the link to many of Dr. Alley's sighting reports:http://www.sasquatchtracker.com"

I hadn't heard of AK's Meldrum.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I would have to see more than this to believe them. Like digging around the base to see whats in the ground.

I found a botanical garden in Alaska full of inverted trees, no bigfoot intervention at all. :tu:

Not sure if the two are related.

My link

Quick photo from the botanical garden.

upsidedowntrees4.jpg

Quick photo from the botanical garden.

upsidedowntrees4.jpg

http://www.glaciergardens.com/history.htm

"Full of frustration about the large repair bill he was sure to see, he used the equipment to pick up a large tree stump and slammed the inverted stump into the ground trunk first. The tree stuck into the soft mud upside down and as the roots hung like the vines of a petunia basket, it only took moments before Steve had a vision of how to recycle the trees cleared from the development of the property: The Upside Down “Flower Towers.” Each “Flower Tower” is made by inverting a spruce or hemlock tree with the root ball pointing towards the sky. The stock of the trunk is buried 5-7 ft, fish netting lines the top of the root ball, and mosses are laid down over the netting to provide nutrients. Each year, Mr. Bowhay personally pants each “Flower Tower” with roughly 75 – 100 flowering plants for our guest’s enjoyment."

Great, I see now how it is done. So even if not related to the Glacial Gardens in Juneau, loggers with their equipment could have done the ones on Prince of Wales Island.

Thanks! Mystery solved. And no bigfoot involved, unless this is how they entertained themselves when the loggers were away from their equipment.

Why couldn't the good Dr. Alley mention this isn't unheard of? Don't answer that. It is a rhetorical question.

From what ive seen on google earth, Prince of Wales island and Juneau arent too far apart. Are there any found in between the two?

Definitely no reason to asume 'bigfoots' though.

I always assumed they were just old rotting trees or trees that had been struck by lightening.

But the explanation makes a good deal of sense. If you look at the area, it's pretty clear that it was logged at some point in the last few decades.

But if you really think about it, I don't care how big/strong bigfoot is supposed to be, there's no way in hell he could uproot a tree of that size, invert it, and replant it like that.

Upside down trees are an oddity around the world Madagascar has some very large trees that are huge.

As far a a Bigfoot marking it's territory I don't see that as a viable possibility because it it were then we'd be seeing them in other locations. This particular phenomenon is particular to this one area and it's simply an possible explanation for something no one can figure out.

I always assumed they were just old rotting trees or trees that had been struck by lightening.

But the explanation makes a good deal of sense. If you look at the area, it's pretty clear that it was logged at some point in the last few decades.

But if you really think about it, I don't care how big/strong bigfoot is supposed to be, there's no way in hell he could uproot a tree of that size, invert it, and replant it like that.

Yes, they said the area had been logged. So, I agree. We have a plausible solution sans bigfoot.

I think this one also belongs in the 2 legged dogman database..........

hyraxfiles.jpg

hyraxfiles.jpg

I all most spit my beer out when I read this. And that would have been alcohol abuse! :w00t:

Ahh, I see. Where intelligence, common sense, and such go to die.

Oh, don't be so negative. Try thinking of it as the place where imagination comes to life!

Oh, don't be so negative. Try thinking of it as the place where imagination comes to life!

I like that...i ma gi na tion :innocent:

Even if it is a regional phenomenon it is a place for researchers to start looking. If a male marks his territory he will survey his territory eventually.

I wonder though are any of these upside down trees found in avalanche zones or chutes?

Even if it is a regional phenomenon it is a place for researchers to start looking. If a male marks his territory he will survey his territory eventually.

I wonder though are any of these upside down trees found in avalanche zones or chutes?

BtAK....what is your thinking with the avalanche zone or chute thing? Got knocked over by avalanche/rockslide you mean?