Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The boy who sees with sound

UM-Bot

shades.jpg
There was the time a fifth grader thought it would be funny to punch the blind kid and run. So he snuck up on Ben Underwood and hit him in the face. That's when Ben started his clicking thing. "I chased him, clicking until I got to him, then I socked him a good one," says Ben, a skinny 14-year-old.

"He didn't reckon on me going after him. But I can hear walls, parked cars, you name it. I'm a master at this game.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: people.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyWeather

• lilmisbombadil

• noyritus

• Felly

Wow, that is extremely talented. It's just too bad he can't enjoy the many wonderous colors and sights the world has to offer...

Wooh. That's pretty amazing.

thats awesome talent.

but seriously, who would punch a blind person!? if I saw someone doing that I'd go after them.

...he kind of reminds me of daredevil

Now he just needs the suit and become a lawyer. Seriously those are some very special skills, that kid is very gifted.

Edited by Brian McMalley

Makes me wonder what all the amazing gifts people have are. Like maybe we don't know we have them, because we never had the motivation to discover them. If Ben had never been blind, he probably wouldn't have learnt to use echolocation.

people are pretty amazing.

Omg. That is so touching and amazing. But even thoguh he can't see many wonderfull things, his hearing is more in tune so he probably hears a lot more then an average person does. Definately reminds me of Daredevil to.

wow!! incredible what humans can achieve, it really is.

er- if thats a picture of him choosing eyes to wear its a slightly odd choice :s

It's funny how we're all thinking of daredevil :lol:

funny how i thought i'd be ever so original by posting that it reminded me of daredevil...

who cares bout him lookin like daredevil....this guy has not only talent...but even though this sounds bad....him being able to do this makes u wonder how we are connected with everything else on earth....bats and dolphins can do what he does..what does that say bout evolution?

he's awesomely talented. but I'm shocked that no one else apart from me, is shocked that people hit, in the face, a blind person!

who cares bout him lookin like daredevil....this guy has not only talent...but even though this sounds bad....him being able to do this makes u wonder how we are connected with everything else on earth....bats and dolphins can do what he does..what does that say bout evolution?

haha, i personally say we'rd connected with everything else on earth by having the same creator, but i'm totally not here to debate evolution/christianity.

us and dolphins being able to do echolocation doesn't favor evolution or creationism.. You could think, as perhaps you do, that since we share common characteristics, humans could've evolved from dolphins and kept the abilities to do echolocation. You can also think that since we share common characteristics, it shows common authorship by a creator. Kinda like looking at different Frank Lloyd Wright buildings... They share characteristics that you see and say, that's Frank Lloyd Wright. (I'm an architect.. sry =p)

Wow, that is extremely talented. It's just too bad he can't enjoy the many wonderous colors and sights the world has to offer...

Lol he will probably say that us mere mortals wont ever appreciate the many wonderous sounds the world has to offer :P

Why would you want to hit a blind kid then run away?Thats just plain nasty.

Fifth grade kid hit him. Fifth grade kids are probably not as nice and sensitive as they should be.

I saw a show about this a while back - not this kid specifically - but a blind man who used a little handheld clicker and used the echolocation to find his way from a park back to a coffee shop in a town he'd never been too before.

He then proceeded to teach a blind teenage girl how to do it. After only about 3 hours of practice, she was riding her bike down the sidewalk, even avoiding people walking. Amazing.