Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

You All Are Going To Hell

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

So am I, so is everyone, so did Jesus. Even God, is, in effect, hell.

The old English word hell comes from a root which means to cover or conceal. Similar words have a similar meaning. A hull is a covered part of a ship, or the covering of a nut. Healing is the covering of a wound. A shell is a covering, a whole is an uncovering, a hill is a covering of earth or stone over the level earth. In King James day to hell potatoes meant to store them underground as in a cellar. To hel a house meant to cover a portion of it with tile. A book heller was the person who put the cover on a book.

Hell is the grave, the common grave of mankind no matter what the method of burial is. That is why Jonah, who thought he would die in the belly of the fish, called it hell, and Jesus went to hell. The Bible says God is in effect hell because he watches over it in order to see those who will one day be resurrected. (Jonah 2:2 / Psalm 16:10 / Matthew 12:40 / Acts 2:27-32 / Amos 9:2 / Psalm 139:8)

Posted Image

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostDavid Henson, on 14 February 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

So am I, so is everyone, so did Jesus. Even God, is, in effect, hell.

The old English word hell comes from a root which means to cover or conceal. Similar words have a similar meaning. A hull is a covered part of a ship, or the covering of a nut. Healing is the covering of a wound. A shell is a covering, a whole is an uncovering, a hill is a covering of earth or stone over the level earth. In King James day to hell potatoes meant to store them underground as in a cellar. To hel a house meant to cover a portion of it with tile. A book heller was the person who put the cover on a book.

Hell is the grave, the common grave of mankind no matter what the method of burial is. That is why Jonah, who thought he would die in the belly of the fish, called it hell, and Jesus went to hell. The Bible says God is in effect hell because he watches over it in order to see those who will one day be resurrected. (Jonah 2:2 / Psalm 16:10 / Matthew 12:40 / Acts 2:27-32 / Amos 9:2 / Psalm 139:8)
What you have to remember is that the bibles origin for the word hell didnt begin originate in english, we translated, so we must go back rather than forwards. would be crazy to put the new meaning of the word in place of the old.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

So I've been told.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#4    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

I thought the original meaning of hell was a pit where they burned rubbish?

#5    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 14 February 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

What you have to remember is that the bibles origin for the word hell didnt begin originate in english, we translated, so we must go back rather than forwards. would be crazy to put the new meaning of the word in place of the old.

While I think it is important to go back it is also important to go forwards. Our current day understanding of hell is more based upon the English word than the ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin. Besides, we are also talking about the old English word which has changed in meaning.

View PostSean93, on 14 February 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

So I've been told.

Yeah, me too.

Posted Image

#6    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

View PosttheSOURCE, on 14 February 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

I thought the original meaning of hell was a pit where they burned rubbish?

You are thinking of the Greek word Gehenna, which is a Greek transliteration of the Hebrew Geh Hinnom and was - is a valley outside of ancient Jerusalem. But there are also two other Greek words, Haides and Tartarus, and one Hebrew word Sheohl which are also often mistranslated as hell. Hades (English transliteration) and Sheol (English transliteration) correspond to one another and both mean the unseen resting place of the dead. There is no consciousness there. When you die, according to the Bible, that's it. You are dead and buried. Not spirit, no soul, no ghost, no heaven and no eternal punishment.

Its kind of funny, if you think about it. The skeptics and atheists are always saying the Bible isn't true, just a bunch of crap, because when you die, that's it. You are dead. When that is exactly what the Bible says.

Posted Image

#7    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostDavid Henson, on 14 February 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

You are thinking of the Greek word Gehenna, which is a Greek transliteration of the Hebrew Geh Hinnom and was - is a valley outside of ancient Jerusalem. But there are also two other Greek words, Haides and Tartarus, and one Hebrew word Sheohl which are also often mistranslated as hell. Hades (English transliteration) and Sheol (English transliteration) correspond to one another and both mean the unseen resting place of the dead. There is no consciousness there. When you die, according to the Bible, that's it. You are dead and buried. Not spirit, no soul, no ghost, no heaven and no eternal punishment.

Its kind of funny, if you think about it. The skeptics and atheists are always saying the Bible isn't true, just a bunch of crap, because when you die, that's it. You are dead. When that is exactly what the Bible says.

Ah, thank you for that clarification.

#8    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PosttheSOURCE, on 14 February 2013 - 02:31 AM, said:

Ah, thank you for that clarification.

Sarcasm?

Posted Image

#9    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostDavid Henson, on 14 February 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

Sarcasm?

None at all. Sorry if my short and sweet post made it seem that way.

#10    THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

Of course i went to hell. I had to sit through a Twilight movie.

#11    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#12    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,558 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

A musician friend told me long ago, "When I die, I know that I'm going to hell." Then he paused, smiled and enthusiastically added, "But I know that the band's going to be great!" :)

#13    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostTHE MATRIX, on 14 February 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Of course i went to hell. I had to sit through a Twilight movie.

The humiliation men must traverse through to get laid is a monumental tragedy.

(Assuming it was with a girlfriend date...why else?)

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#14    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostDavid Henson, on 14 February 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

Its kind of funny, if you think about it. The skeptics and atheists are always saying the Bible isn't true, just a bunch of crap, because when you die, that's it. You are dead.

I don't recall any UM poster ever having made that argument. It's a non sequitur.

#15    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,342 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

View Postredhen, on 14 February 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

I don't recall any UM poster ever having made that argument. It's a non sequitur.

I will pipe in and say yes the bible is a story book and as all of us and our biology is the same and yes we just die and that is our gift back to the earth that gave us the conditions to live. To pretend anything else is a wish at best. Not a non sequitur.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 14 February 2013 - 05:06 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users