Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is it time for Obama to give back his Nobel?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostMichelle, on 12 October 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Even a black man is better than having a woman in the White House...unless of course if she's in the kitchen.
Give me strength.  That is about the stupidest bit of sexism I have ever seen.  Why should he be denied his due because he defeated a woman?  He also defeated a guy from Arizona.  Does that mean Arizonans have to stay in the kitchen?

#62    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,766 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostMichelle, on 12 October 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

And sexist men are what kept Hillary and Palin out of the White House.

I might agree with you on Hillary, Michelle, but draw the line at Palin!

Hillary would (and would have), I think, do (done) a good job while Palin was (and still is) simply not up to the demands the position expects.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#63    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 October 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Give me strength.  That is about the stupidest bit of sexism I have ever seen.  Why should he be denied his due because he defeated a woman?  He also defeated a guy from Arizona.  Does that mean Arizonans have to stay in the kitchen?

Do you mean to tell me that the men who didn't vote for her in the primaries or say they don't agree with her politics aren't sexist? Face it, they don't want a woman president. Most men can't handle a woman boss at work much less running the country.

#64    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostMichelle, on 12 October 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Do you mean to tell me that the men who didn't vote for her in the primaries or say they don't agree with her politics aren't sexist? Face it, they don't want a woman president. Most men can't handle a woman boss at work much less running the country.
You are going entirely too far in say that about most men.  You know I begin to think you are a female sexist.  Lots of women voted for Obama too.

Frankly I would not have voted for Mrs. Clinton.  I saw no sign that she was competent -- just being married to the President proves nothing.

#65    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 October 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

You are going entirely too far in say that about most men. You know I begin to think you are a female sexist.  Lots of women voted for Obama too.

Frankly I would not have voted for Mrs. Clinton.  I saw no sign that she was competent -- just being married to the President proves nothing.

Thank you for participating in my little experiment. You continually imply that anyone who complains about Obama or his politics are racist and yet when the tables are turned you can clearly see how ridiculous it is. You reacted quite predictably.

#66    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

I reacted sensibly and don't retract a thing.  The opposition to Obama having the Nobel prize does have a racist smell to it, although I will admit it's mostly sour politics.

#67    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 12 October 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

I might agree with you on Hillary, Michelle, but draw the line at Palin!

Hillary would (and would have), I think, do (done) a good job while Palin was (and still is) simply not up to the demands the position expects.

I fully agree with you...I was just making a point. Some will get it and some won't, but it never hurts to try. ;)

#68    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,766 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostMichelle, on 12 October 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

I fully agree with you...I was just making a point. Some will get it and some won't, but it never hurts to try. ;)

Well, sometimes it does - but it's only the pride or ego that gets wounded so I suppose that's recoverable from! :D

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#69    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,558 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 October 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

I reacted sensibly and don't retract a thing.  The opposition to Obama having the Nobel prize does have a racist smell to it, although I will admit it's mostly sour politics.

I guess, if you are a brain washed by CNN. I mean seriously, 0bama should be the last guy on this planet to recieve such an award. He has more blood on his hands then anyone today. It has nothing to do with him being black. but more to do with him being red. Stained with the blood of thousands of innocents.

Edited by preacherman76, 12 October 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#70    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,260 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well, what if you found Palin and G. W. Bush scary? And what if you would find B. Obama scary, if he was able to get his way? Does that mean one is racist and sexist? And, um, prejudiced against Texans? :unsure2:

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 12 October 2013 - 12:57 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#71    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

• 23,260 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

well said.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 12 October 2013 - 12:57 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#72    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

I rooted for Obama even though I'm basically an economic conservative simply because he was black.  Much of the world did.  Oh he was also well educated and well spoken and well traveled, and those were all positives, but his economics were to me even then scary.  One never is absolutely happy with any politician.

The issue is his Nobel Prize, and I think he overcame a lot of domestic American racism and helped render it irrelevant.  That was why he got the Nobel.  I suspect the prize givers also wanted to give him a bit of a leg up in his presidency, and that may have helped on the edges.

#73    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

• 23,260 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 October 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 October 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

The issue is his Nobel Prize, and I think he overcame a lot of domestic American racism and helped render it irrelevant.  That was why he got the Nobel.  I suspect the prize givers also wanted to give him a bit of a leg up in his presidency, and that may have helped on the edges.
But it wasn't anything to do with racism.You saw the citation that I posted above somewhere about why he was given it. It was for "increasing peace and harmony between nations" or some such twaddle. Nothing to do with being a black person. I'm sure if the Nobel people had given him it on those grounds, everyone would have howled that they were being incredibly condescending. Overcoming racism seems to be what people want to think that it awarded for, in order to make it seem less of a joke.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 12 October 2013 - 01:03 PM.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#74    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,558 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 October 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I rooted for Obama even though I'm basically an economic conservative simply because he was black.  Much of the world did.  Oh he was also well educated and well spoken and well traveled, and those were all positives, but his economics were to me even then scary.  One never is absolutely happy with any politician.

You dont think thats racist?

Anyhow, I often said during his campaign that Id vote for him myself, if I could believe a single word that came outta his mouth.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#75    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 12 October 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

You dont think thats racist?

Anyhow, I often said during his campaign that Id vote for him myself, if I could believe a single word that came outta his mouth.

Choosing, or not choosing someone, based on color is the very definition of racism. Which proves that the people who cry racism the loudest are usually the ones guilty of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users