Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist jailed for posting on Facebook -

DKO

I have donated to the poor, gave food to the hungry, sheltered the homeless, brighten an child's day, lend an hand to those in hard times, tipped more than average for a college student, sacrificed my social life to take of my mother, live without money so others may, work for free when others can't pay, and constantly take my time to help others understand. And I do this all without god or religion in my life, because I strive for a better world for my family and others. I don't strive to be rewarded in the afterlife, because then I will truly become an morally poor individual by sacrificing others for the sake of myself. Never have I been so happy in my life than when I was under an non-existent god, because in my ignorance I feared for my afterlife and was selfish in my reasons in life.

Geez, another do gooder atheist making sure others know how superior and unselfish they are.....I know theist and they don't fit you simplistic sterotype.

doug

Remove Mother Theresa. She's a gimmick. She had some strange views on human sufferring.

She might have been used by the catholic church though. Mind thats an organisation which covered up systematic rape of innocent children.

And told Africans condoms don't work. In a continent ravaged by aids thats tantamount to genocide.

Mother Theresa helped thousands die with dignity, she was not perfect, but you are anther example of simple minded atheist. Also Child molesters are everythwhere, well maybe you don't know that, would not be surprised. I doubt she was a gimmick....what are you doing to help others?

doug

Edited by dougeaton

You phrase the question as though religious beliefs confer with it morality. Yet I don't need to list examples showing this is not so because they are so common.

I have plenty of meaning in life. There's the somewhat basic interactions I have here, with people who's intelligence and comments I respect. There's my nieces who look to me as a substitue father, there's my friends and family. There's my job.

There's the work I do with various atheist and skeptical groups (though here admittedly at a very basic level).

I find much more meaning in private and close conversations with friends, canoeing down a freshwater spring, donating my time to cleaning said spring, helping build housing for my less fortunate humans, or simply making sure my nieces have a great time with their uncle (even if at times they have to be subject to lectures concerning what little I know of science and history), I take much greater and deeper meaning from these and so much else in my life than any in my mind paltry concept of God or afterlife.

I know fellow atheists who state they abide by the law due to simple restraints of freedoms that would be put upon them should they break the laws. For myself, I am something of a coward. I would not be able to bear the disappointment of those I respect and love. Further, I feel I would present a poor example for those who foolishly look up to me.

Lastly, I find no desire in myself to do any great evil such as you've described. I think most are, regardless of their faith or lack there of, providing their culture is one similar to ours.

Now, to me the only way I can understand why you would feel such a question is relevant and to be taken seriously, is that either your own morality is so compromised by religious scriptures in place of morality, or your are a sociopath.

If the former, then I would encourage you to seek for yourself to determine what is and what is not moral. Seek justification and seek further answers, as there none who are perfect and your conclusions on morality could be well based on faulty premises.

If the latter, and your religious beliefs are truly all that is holding yourself in check from your above recommendations... I plead you to hold to your faith and ignore whatever arguments against it that come your way. Just don't hold your faith over another's.

I think our morality is a left over from when the christian faith was central. Wait another generation, things are already getting worse in the USA and the break down will continue. After all, your just a monkey with a bigger brain, why should anyone listen to you?

doug

Oui and the same one that has followers get up in arms and want to see a middle aged school teacher flogged (and probably beheaded) because of the name a class of children gave to a teddy bear! I have nothing against people having their own quiet beliefs but religious extremists ruin it for everyone with behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

Here's the thing. Islam is NOT a religion of peace. People say "Oh, it's just the extremists." However, I know first hand it's not. Islam and Muslim beliefs promote violence and destruction of any whom do not believe in their God and follow their rules to a "T" if you will. Every other religion does have extremist groups and those groups should be dealt with in the harsh and extreme measure they promote. Adversely, the other religions do NOT teach violence, destruction, and murder.

When it comes to Islam, at it's core, is violence and destruction and those whom fight to defend it saying otherwise are fools and uneducated. I have, however, met Islamic's that are moderate in their belief system. The problem is, if they were to be called to arms or to take action against any/all other religions/people, they WOULD do it. If not for their religion, for fear of what their fellow islamist believers would do to them.

• Like 4

Religion is what kept the Dark Ages cooking for over five hundred years.

Which is to say that things would now be much better without religion? Perhaps. But the problem is that when this restriction reaches the point of making people unable to even discuss openly their faith in God then THAT would be just as bad as a religion. And I see the world getting worse all the time so I don't think religion is all to blame. Especially since religions (especially in the west) have become MUCH less popular in recent decades.

Alexander Aan, an Indonesian civil servant who is currently in custody and facing an 11-year prison sentence for expressing his atheism on Facebook.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/05/indonesian-atheist-faces-long-jail.html

Like when the Muslims bombed Bali? Twice.

Damn retards.

That hardly makes any sense whatsoever. What about the individuals who carried out the 9/11 attacks? They had plenty of religion in their lives, according to the recordings, yet they killed a substantial amount of people.

:tu:

I am sure that religion brings order.

That hardly makes any sense whatsoever. What about the individuals who carried out the 9/11 attacks? They had plenty of religion in their lives, according to the recordings, yet they killed a substantial amount of people.

:tu:

I am sure that religion brings order.

Religion can in it's more "negative" manifestations create folk who are easily led and will follow just about any orders me thinks.

• Like 2

wtf? that's BS i have no idea why people take it so personal when others don't think the way they do it makes nooooooo sense to me at all and is just plain childish.

• 4 months later...

".......his case has led to calls for his execution by hardline Islamists"

Would that be the same Islam that calls itself the 'Religion of Peace' and whose Holy Book forbids the taking of life?

Well, yes. But keep in mind that "peace" (salaam) is not defined in islam the way you and I define it. The islamic "world of peace" (dar al salaam) will be achieved once Islam rules the world. And not before. And nowhere does the Koran forbid the taking of life, If you someone told you that, they were pulling the wool over your eyes.

• Like 2

Well, yes. But keep in mind that "peace" (salaam) is not defined in islam the way you and I define it. The islamic "world of peace" (dar al salaam) will be achieved once Islam rules the world. And not before. And nowhere does the Koran forbid the taking of life, If you someone told you that, they were pulling the wool over your eyes.

Really? Then there's only one solution, isn't there?

getting_it_right.jpg

Or the Crusades!

Give us a break. The Crusades were simply a reaction the jihad, which had overrun the holiest sites of Christianity.

Since then, the crusades have long stopped, but the Jihad has started again with force.

getting_it_right.jpg

I don´t know if there is a particular solution, or several.

One thing is for sure: Appeasing radical islam does not bring us "peace", at least the way we understand "peace".

• Like 3

getting_it_right.jpg

tim_headshake.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Actually continual studies show that the rates of violence have steadily decreased as we move from historical and pre-historical times, even counting the wars of the last couple of centuries. Now this is talking percentage wise related to population, you do have some increase due to population.

Steven Pinker has a good book on this, actually.

Unfortunately, violence is a really cheap news story so we certainly hear about it more.

As for those decrying the evil of Islam, itself, remember that one of the most famous evil men was a proud Christian. The fault does not rest on the religion, though the religion can provide the needed excuses.

Nonsense. There is no collective "we" for all of mankind. Some parts of mankind have made progress, others are reverting to the middle ages. And as for "evil men", there are everywhere, but the effort to create brutal, retrograde primitive societies as a replica of the supposed "perfect society" that their 7th century prophet ruled is a characteristic of only one religion.

It's not good being Christian in Morocco... http://www.jihadwatc...n-facebook.html

...or in any other society ruled by islamic laws. Morocco. with its liberal king, is actually one of the better places. Would you prefer to be a Christian in Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Northern Nigeria, Northern Mali, Chechnia.... continue at will.

"Aan started an atheist group on Facebook on which he shared comic strips of the prophet having sex with his servant, Dharma said.

He also uploaded three articles on his account, including one describing the prophet being attracted to his daughter-in-law."

Very "innocent" guy here. He's been at this for a while.

Source http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesian-atheist-jailed-for-prophet-mohammed-cartoons/524376

"Aan started an atheist group on Facebook on which he shared comic strips of the prophet having sex with his servant, Dharma said.

He also uploaded three articles on his account, including one describing the prophet being attracted to his daughter-in-law."

Very "innocent" guy here. He's been at this for a while.

Source http://www.thejakart...cartoons/524376

This_is_an_outrage.jpg

getting_it_right.jpg

An account in Gesta Francorum (The Deeds of the Franks) describes the massacre of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Moslems and Jews:

The defenders fled along the walls and through the city, and our men pursued them killing and cutting them down as far as Solomon’s Temple, where there was such a massacre that our men were wading ankle deep in blood … Then the crusaders rushed around the whole city, seizing gold and silver, horses and mules, and looting the housing that were full of costly things. Then, rejoicing and weeping from excess of happiness, they all came to worship and give thanks at the sepulchre of our saviour Jesus. Next morning, they went cautiously up the temple roof and attacked the Saracens, both men and women [who had taken refuge there], cutting off their heads with drawn swords … Our leaders then gave orders that all the Saracen corpses should be thrown outside the city because of the stench, for almost the whole city was full of dead bodies … such a slaughter of pagans had never been seen or heard of, for they were burned in pyres like pyramids, and none save God alone knows how many they were.

Source: Knight, Honest to Man: p82-83.

Quite the humanitarians.

One thing that I greatly dislike is how many individuals push Muslims on the defensive as if we must change to oblige society while we lose values that we believe in.

Why should we feel shame for what we truly believe ?

I randomly visit this board and this is a continual problem here. No point in even coming.

One thing that I greatly dislike is how many individuals push Muslims on the defensive as if we must change to oblige society while we lose values that we believe in.

Why should we feel shame for what we truly believe ?

I randomly visit this board and this is a continual problem here. No point in even coming.

If what you believe in is a Shariah society like the one the islamists have created in Afghanistan, Yemen, Northern Nigeria. Northern Mali, and everywhere else where islamic law rules absolute, then yes, you should justify what you believe in.

A belief leads to action, and if that action means you want to destroy modern secular society, then yes you should answer for that and face discussion.

"Religious tolerance" is fine if you are talking about a purely personal religion with no consequences for others. It is not fine if you talk about a political religion like islam. And if addressing that "pushes muslims on the defensive", then you obviously we haven an issue. Please note that moderate muslims like for example Bassam Tibi also say that modern societies have to defend themselves against islamism. (And are reaping death threats in return.)

We do have an a problem with political islam, and we are ignoring that at our peril.

• Like 2