Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remember the Taliban?

and-then

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/19/pakistan-polio-idUSL4N09T2Q920121219

After the green on blue attacks began and the idiocy (IMO) of riots by Afghans about a mistaken burning of Qur'ans I called for a quick end of our involvement in the conflict there and the removal of our forces. I still do so. But this article reminds me of what we went there to fight. The mindless hatred that kills it's own just to spite an enemy - and the enemy seems above all to be modernity and free thinking. I feel awful for the people of this region and I fear for the fact that a country with nuclear weapons also has this level of insanity walking freely - even leading.

Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism more so than that of any weastern country. To claim pakistan is run by nutjobs is a pathetic assumtion! crooks maybe? But not crazy. As for the accusations pakistan is funding many of these terror cells is also is rather dimwitted and lacks any credible evidence? Yet congressmen in america talk about it as if they have proof. I still have yet to come across any credible proof(apart from some apparent ex taliban members) about ISI involvment, and unless I actually see any valid proof that bin laden was killed in pakistan, I wont evan talk about that! I mean didnt he die of kidney failure years ago? I remember reading many articles about it and im sure you do too.

• Like 2

http://www.reuters.c...N09T2Q920121219

After the green on blue attacks began and the idiocy (IMO) of riots by Afghans about a mistaken burning of Qur'ans I called for a quick end of our involvement in the conflict there and the removal of our forces. I still do so. But this article reminds me of what we went there to fight. The mindless hatred that kills it's own just to spite an enemy - and the enemy seems above all to be modernity and free thinking. I feel awful for the people of this region and I fear for the fact that a country with nuclear weapons also has this level of insanity walking freely - even leading.

Afghans were already angry at the presence of foreigners in their country; the Qu'ran episode just gave more fuel to the fire for another out of a long line of attacks. Afghanistan has had many episodes of civil war since we showed up.

Is it just silly mindless hatred or is there more to it than that? Treason has historically been regarded as the highest of crimes one can possibly commit. Not only would traitors be sentenced to death but often in the most imaginative, grisly and torturous ways possible. I would despise my fellow hypothetical Americans for cooperating with their Chinese occupiers and they wouldn't have to burn something that has sentimental value to me for me to despise them already. The timing might make some Americans look silly, mindless and hateful in the eyes of a foreigner if some Chinese-trained Americans attacked Chinese military after they burned some Bibles. But that's just tiddlywinks in the grand scheme of invasion and foreign military occupation.

• Like 1

Afghans were already angry at the presence of foreigners in their country; the Qu'ran episode just gave more fuel to the fire for another out of a long line of attacks. Afghanistan has had many episodes of civil war since we showed up.

Is it just silly mindless hatred or is there more to it than that? Treason has historically been regarded as the highest of crimes one can possibly commit. Not only would traitors be sentenced to death but often in the most imaginative, grisly and torturous ways possible. I would despise my fellow hypothetical Americans for cooperating with their Chinese occupiers and they wouldn't have to burn something that has sentimental value to me for me to despise them already. The timing might make some Americans look silly, mindless and hateful in the eyes of a foreigner if some Chinese-trained Americans attacked Chinese military after they burned some Bibles. But that's just tiddlywinks in the grand scheme of invasion and foreign military occupation.

I'm sure that the Afghans are mad that we are there. All they want is peace just like the rest of humanity at any given time. When we leave the Taliban will subjugate them again because they are like sheep. They know no other way to be. This thread is about remembering the evil done by these guys. Killing volunteers who are trying to help children because OBL was killed using a similar campaign of vaccination? That level of hatred is medieval.

I'm sure that the Afghans are mad that we are there. All they want is peace just like the rest of humanity at any given time. When we leave the Taliban will subjugate them again because they are like sheep. They know no other way to be. This thread is about remembering the evil done by these guys. Killing volunteers who are trying to help children because OBL was killed using a similar campaign of vaccination? That level of hatred is medieval.

Sounds like a total failure to me. Whatever.

It's time to come home.

I don't want "peace", I want liberty or death.

Sounds like a total failure to me. Whatever.

It's time to come home.

I don't want "peace", I want liberty or death.

Agreed - it is time to come home - it was a long time ago. But many will say it was all to no purpose and on that I disagree. Those people are as human as we are and one can be forgiven (for awhile) for thinking they might actually have a desire to be free. They made it clear pretty early on that this wasn't the case. And now what comes will be horrific for them. The Taliban will probably kill everyone who had anything to do with US or allied forces. A darkness will return there and I suspect American blood will continue to be shed there for some time to come.

If we actually want political change in Afghanistan we should be occupying Pakistan because that's where all the influence is. We were fighting more Pakistanis in 2001 than we were Afghans, Taliban, and Al Qaeda combined. But instead we're arming Pakistan's government with military weapons and bombing their civilians, the same losing strategy we've been pouring our money down the drain for in Afghanistan. This money pit should have been abandoned in 2002.

• Like 2

Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism more so than that of any weastern country. To claim pakistan is run by nutjobs is a pathetic assumtion! crooks maybe? But not crazy. As for the accusations pakistan is funding many of these terror cells is also is rather dimwitted and lacks any credible evidence? Yet congressmen in america talk about it as if they have proof. I still have yet to come across any credible proof(apart from some apparent ex taliban members) about ISI involvment, and unless I actually see any valid proof that bin laden was killed in pakistan, I wont evan talk about that! I mean didnt he die of kidney failure years ago? I remember reading many articles about it and im sure you do too.

Why do you think Pakistan is innocent ?. Ordinary Pakistani's are coming to England in their thousands to escape the evil regime that is dominating that Country,and we are understanding enough to accept them.Dont tell me that Pakistan does not harbour the Taliban,who go there when things get too hot in Afghanistan.Start reading and watching the news buddy.
  • Like 1

Why do you think Pakistan is innocent ?. Ordinary Pakistani's are coming to England in their thousands to escape the evil regime that is dominating that Country,and we are understanding enough to accept them.Dont tell me that Pakistan does not harbour the Taliban,who go there when things get too hot in Afghanistan.Start reading and watching the news buddy.

Erm.. what are you on about?

What makes pakistans leadership so evil exactley?

Pakistanis are coming to the uk for economy reasons nothing to do with their government!

Give me one piece of credible evidence that pakistans leadership or the ISI is harbouring terrorists? And im not talking about the guys jumping borders. And stop accepting everything you hear on the news!

Erm.. what are you on about?

What makes pakistans leadership so evil exactley?

Pakistanis are coming to the uk for economy reasons nothing to do with their government!

Give me one piece of credible evidence that pakistans leadership or the ISI is harbouring terrorists? And im not talking about the guys jumping borders. And stop accepting everything you hear on the news!

I have yet to hear that anyone has been arrested for trying to execute a schoolgirl just for wanting an education. At a minimum that sounds like complicity of the government at some level. And if you pick and choose what you are willing to accept as evidence when it doesn't fit your world view then I'd say it is you that has a deficit of info. The AQ folks ADMITTED Bin Laden was killed and Pakistan - that ever so kind government - is holding the physician that helped nail him, in prison. The average person would probably think of that as evidence.

We need to leave Afghanistan to themselves weve done what we can.

• Like 1

The Taliban are the ultimate Wahhabist extremists and will stop to nothing to disrupt a society that doesn't apply to their ideals. The difference between them and other Islamic extremists is that the Taliban are actually true believers while the likes of Al Queda have more sinister intents, not particularly religious. This doesn't mean they're less ruthless BTW. In fact, these shootings just prove that they will go to whatever lengths possible to achieve their goal, even shooting school girls who just want an education.

You can't reason with them, you can't indoctrinate them. You either eradicate them from the face of the earth or you let their own kin do it. The way they reason belongs to another dimension, incomprehensible for western minds

We've got no business being there and we should rethink our policies towards Pakistan who seem to be supportive of these lunatics. You want to side with animals, you should get treated like an animal.

• Like 2

But then, there is obviously this,

WHY IS AFGHANISTAN SO IMPORTANT?

A glance at a map and a little knowledge of the region suggest that the real reasons for Western military involvement may be largely hidden.

Afghanistan is adjacent to Middle Eastern countries that are rich in oil and natural gas. And though Afghanistan may have little petroleum itself, it borders both Iran and Turkmenistan, countries with the second and third largest natural gas reserves in the world. (Russia is first.)

Link

Which may suggest the reason we're still planted in Afghanistan are due to "political" purposes.

We need to leave Afghanistan to themselves weve done what we can.

I think we needed to be out about 18 months after we got there. And BRLD the idea that we are staying for some sort of profit could be true but I hope we haven't sunk so low that we are killing our own for money. I'm sure some believe we've been doing this forever but I just cannot comprehend it would be true. Coffey has mentioned several times a pipeline across the region that was the real reason we invaded and I scoffed at this because we had evidence that the Taliban assisted AQ in training for 9-11. Regardless why we went, it's time to GO. If satellites or other intel shows us the roaches are regathering then that can be taken care of to the extent we need to by standoff weapons -i.e. bomb their backsides into oblivion. If we had to repeat every 3 months we'd still be better off than what's going down now.
  • Like 1

Well make sure you got a hook up inside before we get out. Bad friends are better then no friends.

Edited by AsteroidX