Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

my theory why we have such short lifespans

megabyte

our scientists love the fruit fly because it completes a generation in just 3 weeks and so it is useful when studying what effect a certain substance may have on subsequent generations

could it be that humans have such pitifully short lifespan for the same reason?

[annunaki were supposed to live to age 36000 for example]

could aliens who have been tinkering with our civilization since year dot be using us to study substances over generations before giving it to their own population? someone who lives to age 36000 could study several of our generations after releasing a substance such the plague to see what it does. [yes apparently they saw men in black dressed as grim reapers releasing gas substances around villages prior to that village succumbing to the plague - this was on an episode i just watched called ancient aliens

it is quite obvious from reading ancient writings and also reading about current ufo abduction reports that aliens have always had their own agenda and sometimes it was for our good and sometimes it was not.

I would love to know what others think

• Like 1

Welcome to UM Megabyte. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I'm sorry to be the one that has to say it, but the TV show called Ancient Aliens, is bad TV, with even worse science, theories, legends and myths. Half the things you'll see in there, are blatant lies and the other half unsubstantiated theories.

To give an example, the Anunnaki are a group of Sumerian, Akkadian, Assyrian and Babylonian deities, mythical beings. It stands to reason that a long, very long life span is allotted to them. Comparing their alleged lifespan to that of a normal human is nonsense.

I would take anything that show says, with a big bag of salt.

Welcome to UM Megabyte. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I'm sorry to be the one that has to say it, but the TV show called Ancient Aliens, is bad TV, with even worse science, theories, legends and myths. Half the things you'll see in there, are blatant lies and the other half unsubstantiated theories.

To give an example, the Anunnaki are a group of Sumerian, Akkadian, Assyrian and Babylonian deities, mythical beings. It stands to reason that a long, very long life span is allotted to them. Comparing their alleged lifespan to that of a normal human is nonsense.

I would take anything that show says, with a big bag of salt.

ok then so what do you believe with is likely to be the truth about all the ufo reports - ancient and modern?

Does this "theory' of yours explain why the "firefly" has a particular lifespan and why different animals have different lifespans?

Did the "Annunaki" Play with their "lives" also?

Doubt it.

Does this "theory' of yours explain why the "firefly" has a particular lifespan and why different animals have different lifespans?

Did the "Annunaki" Play with their "lives" also?

Doubt it.

i agree with you that not everything on earth has been genetically altered by et's

i do happen to believe that our lifespan is really very short. if you compare it to a cat or a dog and take the percentage of time we spend in childhood and also old age - if we spent the same percentage of time being children as cats do then we should be fully sexually mature and having offspring at age 4. I also believe that a decade of being at our best is very short percentage of our lifespan. we also spend way too long being old and less capable as compared to a the percentage of time a cat spends being old and incapacitated

I am not claiming I know the answer - but i am open to theories

• Like 1

ok then so what do you believe with is likely to be the truth about all the ufo reports - ancient and modern?

Theyre unexplained flying objects.

BUT, even if they were extra terrestrials checking us out, the same way we do with other animals, i fail to see how the presense of ufos (ET or not) equates to the sumerian gods being real and genetically altering human beings, as well as other animals on earth.

I think your hypothesis is flawed, and lacking any type of corroborating evidence.

Hi megabyte,

In fact lifespans are longer then before. :tu:

If you want to talk about "hypothesis" that is different. I always like to imagine and talk about different hypothesis.

Lets say that Humans have had longer lifespans in history. I would say that we evoluated then to have short lifespans to make a room for others. Imagine that we lived

36 oo years like Dumuzid from Sumerian king list? Overcroweded planet.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Life Spans of Humans is affected by multitude of Factors.

The Kind of food you eat, the kind of environment you live in, the Kind of Work you do, The Kind of lifestyle you have...all affects the human lifespan.

For example, my own maternal grandmother, was from the early 20th Century...born in 1905. She lived in cleaner environment than we do, ate food that were naturally produced, worked hard physically, had a very energetic lifestyle....she lived to the age of 105 years and died two years back.

People around her, in her times, lived a similar lifestyle in similar environment.

Not that throughout the ages, Aliens/ ETs flew around in UFOs and tinkered with our lifespans.

Why look to ETs when the answer lies in our own lifestyles on this 3rd Rock from the Sun???

Greetings, megabyte, and welcome to UM. :)

I echo the sentiments of others who have commented and must stress the fact that human lifespans are hardly static. In the Bronze Age, when the Sumerians, Akkadians, Egyptians, and others were honing the their creation myths, the average lifespan was approximately 35 years. Approximately thirty percent of all children died before their fifth year of life; 20% of all pregnancies ended in spontaneous miscarriage.

Today, on the other hand, the average lifespan (in the West, at least) is around 76 years. Further, the average human is significantly taller than his ancestor of some 3,000 years ago. Whereas most Westerners get married in their twenties and have children in their twenties or early thirties, in the Bronze Age a bride could be as young as twelve or thirteen years of age and her husband only a few years older. When you were eighteen years old and "middle-aged," you started a family by what we modern folks would consider to be extremely young--still kids, really.

A multiplicity of factors determine lifespan, and it's all well understood through scientific principles. Aliens are not needed. The most obvious factors are good nutrition and modern medicine. The absence of something so basic as vaccinations is one main reason the infant mortality rate in the ancient world was so universally high. And something many people don't realize is that one of the greatest inventions in all of human history was the capability to produce clean, safe drinking water; that alone lengthened average lifespans.

When trying to tackle these subjects in the course of one's studies, the critical factor is the quality of sources to which one turns. While there is an abundance of high-quality and reliable research material that is available to everyone, I cannot agree enough with something TheSearcher mentioned in the second post of this discussion: sources like Ancient Aliens are not to be trusted. I've seen numerous episodes of this program, myself. TheSearcher said that when you watch this program, you must take it's information with "a big bag of salt." I might extend this analogy and suggest there is not a bag of salt in this world that's large enough. The information dispensed on Ancient Aliens is so lacking in substance and scientific evaluation that, in my opinion, it has no research value whatsoever. In other words, you won't learn a single thing that's pertinent to real-world historical facts.

Finally, on the subject of aliens, I am not the least shy about stating my own opinion. I am absolutely certain that aliens had nothing whatsoever to do with the developments of ancient cultures around the world. Indeed, these ancient societies did not need the assistance of aliens. This is the sort of thing of which TV shows like Ancient Aliens are so unforgivably guilty: at the same time that they dispense oodles of intellectual flotsam, they rob ancient societies of the great things ancient peoples achieved. Give credit where credit is due. ;)

very good points and yet the ancient alien theory resonates so deep in me [and lots of others too I bet]

why does it resonate so deep in me? even though it is all unscientific and without any merit ?

why am I drawn to it like a moth to a flame and nothing anyone tells me sways me even in the slightest

I am not even saying I believe all the arguments authors such as Daniken and Sitchin write about - I do question these

but for some reason ever since I was 10 years old and read my first story about Stonehenge in a childrens book and it was not even alien astronauts oriented [did not even mention alien astronauts as a possibility] I was hooked in a huge way and that is that - it simply resonates somewhere deep inside me ever since then

I guess I might never know

• Like 1

I think alien didn't do anything wrong with our lifespan or whatever because in my opinion there is something and being happening is our DNA is slowly regenerated from long lifespan to shorter lifespan as such Evolution Theory we are in time space that our lifespan suffers degradation because of the FOOD you eat or some of DNA string been reform to another life forms unsure.gif

Hi megabyte,

If you want to talk about "hypothesis" that is different. I always like to imagine and talk about different hypothesis.

Lets say that Humans have had longer lifespans in history. I would say that we evoluated then to have short lifespans to make a room for others. Imagine that we lived

36 oo years like Dumuzid from Sumerian king list? Overcroweded planet.

Lifespan overall has not changed until very recently. The average age has changed drastically due to the lack of war and other pestilences. Now we have to remember until very recently 15 to 30% of children died in child birth and if surviving child birth died in very early years of children diseases. If they survived children diseases they were either taken as slaves (with understandably early demise) or to become soldiers (with also understandably early demise). Now those who managed to avoid all the above mention problems, could live until a ripe age.

What interests me is that individual people in the past have lived just as long as people now are living (and I'm not talking of people in the bible). What I mean is that the oldest people in modern society now live beyond 115 years, and in the Classic Age and the Middle Ages there are many documented people who lived to be over 100 as well. Really, only the average lifespan of the population has risen, but the age to which we are capable of living has never significantly increased.

What interests me is that individual people in the past have lived just as long as people now are living (and I'm not talking of people in the bible). What I mean is that the oldest people in modern society now live beyond 115 years, and in the Classic Age and the Middle Ages there are many documented people who lived to be over 100 as well. Really, only the average lifespan of the population has risen, but the age to which we are capable of living has never significantly increased.

Would you mind giving an example of documented people living to a 100 years+? It's just that besides the various religious books, I don't really know of any accounts of people living that long in the old days.

I do subscribe to the explanations given by kmt, paralcelse Spartan etc, live spans are actually longer now than they used to be. And UFO's are just that, unidentified flying objects. I don't reject the existence of aliens as such, as it would be quite arrogant to believe that we are the only life in such a vast universe. However I don't believe for one second that they have modified us in any way whatsoever or even visited us.

our scientists love the fruit fly because it completes a generation in just 3 weeks and so it is useful when studying what effect a certain substance may have on subsequent generations

could aliens who have been tinkering with our civilization since year dot be using us to study substances over generations before giving it to their own population? someone who lives to age 36000 could study several of our generations after releasing a substance such the plague to see what it does. [yes apparently they saw men in black dressed as grim reapers releasing gas substances around villages prior to that village succumbing to the plague - this was on an episode i just watched called ancient aliens

it is quite obvious from reading ancient writings and also reading about current ufo abduction reports that aliens have always had their own agenda and sometimes it was for our good and sometimes it was not.

I would love to know what others think

Hi, in order for your theory to work, we would first need to confirm, in fact, that extra-terrestrials do exist and they are also highly progressed than we are in terms of medical technology to be able to shorten our lifespan.

Nowadays, eyewitness accounts can only take you so far. Without concrete forensics to confirm any of the claims, unfortunately, the whole accountability falls apart.

Hi, in order for your theory to work, we would first need to confirm, in fact, that extra-terrestrials do exist and they are also highly progressed than we are in terms of medical technology to be able to shorten our lifespan.

Nowadays, eyewitness accounts can only take you so far. Without concrete forensics to confirm any of the claims, unfortunately, the whole accountability falls apart.

I agree that there is no proof that satisfies everyone and I have myself found many holes in what has been written by Daniken and Sutchin

I am watching a doco right now about the marianas trench in the pacific ocean and Sitchin says that the earth used to be unstable and located where the asteroid belt is now and that an unproven planet entered the solar system and stabilised the solar system by exploding part of the unstable planet earth and after the explosion this earth became the asteroid belt and the planet earth but in the new orbit

now that would mean that this trench should be the oldest thing on the planet and that would be 4/5 billion years and yet the scientists are saying that they prove that this trench is only 170 million years old

this seems to disprove Sitchin

I do believe that there is more to ancient history than what the mainstream experts can prove

I say we should all read the books about these things [if we want to] and just wait til whatever can be proven will be proven.

until proven one way or the other it can simply be something we can all wonder about if we want to

in the meantime i want to have an antediluvian life span please of at least a few thousand years

very good points and yet the ancient alien theory resonates so deep in me [and lots of others too I bet]

why does it resonate so deep in me? even though it is all unscientific and without any merit ?

why am I drawn to it like a moth to a flame and nothing anyone tells me sways me even in the slightest

I know, and I'll tell you.

Because you are ignorant of the facts, that's why.

Don't get me wrong, that's not an insult. It's just a statement that you are unaware of factual information that fringe authors and claimants (suspiciously) never mention when they're detailing their particular flights of fancy in an attempt to generate money.

If you look into it on your own, you'll stop being drawn like a moth and start being repulsed by these lying con men that have their hand rummaging around in your pocket.

Regarding the lifespan of a cat (your example,) it might be that humans would live much longer lives if someone would keep us and feed us healthy food and we didn't have to do anything but sleep all day.

Were I you, I'd look into the lifespan of wild cats such as bobcats and lynx.

Harte

Harte

On what basis are you saying we have a "pitiful" lifespan? Compared to a mythical set of beings? Thats like saying a body builder is "pitifully weak" compared to Superman.

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

As for the "grim reapers", doctors (such as they were) at the time filled face masks with herbs as they thought it protected against the disease. I wouldn't be surprised if this was something similar (loath as I am to take anything from a program called "Ancient Aliens" seriously).

You've already made your mind up that aliens exist then. Huge assumption.

Not necessarily. The average lifespan has gone up because infant mortality has gone down. When its said that an "average life expectancy" is 35, this doesn't mean that people aged 35 are dropping dead.

Easy: because you want it to be true. How exciting would it be to find out we were the product of ancient aliens? I don't know anyone who wouldn't find this amazing. Problem is: no evidence. None. Zilch. Nada.

Using aliens to explain our past is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I question your sources about people in the middle ages living to 100, but essentially you are correct. The average age is going up.

• Like 1

Diet & nutrition, physical activity, diseases, the style of living, and many others contribute to an increase or decrease in our life span. Look at our general lifespan even fifty/sixty years ago, it was much lower than it is today. Increased awareness and education of disease, as well as new innovations in medical technologies, has drastically increased our life spans. I don't think an alien theory on our life spans has any merit whatsoever.

Even if you go back into the earlier human period, there are many influential external factors that contribute to what we would consider, early death.

If you are seriously interested in understanding human life span and disease then please look into the hypothesis of EVOLUTION.

the idea that humans have a short life span is relative only to something that has a longer life span. something real, that is - not a biblical character or mythical being.

as far as i'm concerned some of us live way too freaking long.

• Haha 1

i do happen to believe that our lifespan is really very short. if you compare it to a cat or a dog and take the percentage of time we spend in childhood and also old age - if we spent the same percentage of time being children as cats do then we should be fully sexually mature and having offspring at age 4.

Haven't observed the life spans of cats (beyond "too long"), so let's use dogs.

A dog is considered a mature adult around 2 and a half years and lives to about 12 in captivity.

A human is considered a mature adult in the early 20's and lives to about 75 years in captivity.

That's about the same percentage in life cycle for physical maturity. Sexual maturity is harder to pin down because a dog that has a handful of tiny babies can deliver them safely at a younger relative age than a human can deliver it's far larger (in relation to the mother) baby.

Even if the maturity cycles were radically different, the rebuttal would be "Those are dogs. Humans are different.".

I also believe that a decade of being at our best is very short percentage of our lifespan. we also spend way too long being old and less capable as compared to a the percentage of time a cat spends being old and incapacitated

"In the wild" as in without modern medicine, we lived about 50 years. Biologically, being at our peak means being capable of breeding. A normal human female can deliver a baby safely at about 15 and all the way up to about 45. That's the majority of the normal life spent at our peak.

I am not claiming I know the answer - but i am open to theories

From the responses you've made, it looks like you're open to people telling you why they think you're right.

The fact is at our current 70ish average lifespan, we're one of the longest lived species on the planet on par with animals that should live much longer than us based on gestation and birth rate (like elephants). We're talking land animals, of course.

You're basing your entire premise on a few unverifiable mentions of humans with incredibly long lifespans. Many would call these mentions fiction.

I've read the story of Peter Parker. Do you think aliens tampered with our DNA to eliminate our super strength and agility plus our ability to climb sheer smooth surfaces along with our danger sense?

From the responses you've made, it looks like you're open to people telling you why they think you're right.

That was humorous, but a little unfair.

I think Megabyte showed restraint under the withering gaze of the lovely and deadly Emma Acid.

Didn't even wince when I pointed out the ignorance.

All in all, pretty outstanding when compared to many, many other posters in this section.

Still...

It was damn funny! :tu:

Harte

Would you mind giving an example of documented people living to a 100 years+? It's just that besides the various religious books, I don't really know of any accounts of people living that long in the old days.

I guess 100+ was a little hyperbolic, but I was just referring to people like:

Saint Anthony (dead at 105)

Xenophanes (dead at 94)

Sophocles(dead at 90)

Democritus (dead at 90)

Pyrrho (dead at 90)

Michaelangelo(dead at 88)

Eratosthenes(dead at 82)

I'm going by the 'documented' evidence for each individual (ie. classical texts), so take it for what it's worth. I'm neither defending or standing behind the numbers, because obviously I don't have the primary sources myself. But those are the numbers we have. I'm just merely interested in the idea that a small portion of the population has always lived much longer than the average. Throughout history, we really only know how a select 3-5% of the population lived at any period in time anyways. It seems logical that the undocumented 'common' peasant could fortuitously live just as long as any other 'select' or 'extraordinary' figures to only whom we have evidence. The evidence in modern times shows this is true: the people who live the longest are just ordinary people.

That was humorous, but a little unfair.

I think Megabyte showed restraint under the withering gaze of the lovely and deadly Emma Acid.

Didn't even wince when I pointed out the ignorance.

All in all, pretty outstanding when compared to many, many other posters in this section.

Still...

It was damn funny! :tu:

Harte

Yeah, it was slightly harsh considering her good attitude to rebuttals. As you've said, most people who post in this (I believe any) section tend to be incredibly defensive instead of actually willing to discuss.

The thing that inspired that post was this:

I am not even saying I believe all the arguments authors such as Daniken and Sitchin write about - I do question these

but for some reason ever since I was 10 years old and read my first story about Stonehenge in a childrens book and it was not even alien astronauts oriented [did not even mention alien astronauts as a possibility] I was hooked in a huge way and that is that - it simply resonates somewhere deep inside me ever since then

Which to paraphrase says something along the lines of: "Everything says you're right, but I still think you're wrong."

This is of course light years ahead of people who can't accept that the facts are on the other side of the discussion, but it's still saying, "Regardless of the facts, I still think I'm right".