Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Russian Nazca lines discovered

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#16    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postthe L, on 17 October 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Maybe they knew how to made baloon or glider?

Except that no archaeological evidence has ever been found to support any claim that they knew how to make balloons or gliders.

#17    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 October 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Except that no archaeological evidence has ever been found to support any claim that they knew how to make balloons or gliders.
Even if they could fly...how would it help them?
They could observe the area, but how would they transfer that to locating the diagram on the ground?
The would need to take photos at a minimum, and even that wouldn't help unless there were reference points on the ground to correlate.  Many of these areas are barren, rocky wastelands without so much as a tree for a reference point.
I think they just drew them as they are using some method we haven't thought of.  There's a lot can be done by just driving a stake into the ground and attaching a length of rope to it for example.  Or pacing out distance.  Or measuring off longer distances with lengths of rope.  Crop circles are an example of these methods.

Edited by synchronomy, 17 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#18    Astral Hillbilly

Astral Hillbilly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

• Pain is inevitable....Suffering is optional !

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postthe L, on 17 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Or those in Nasca actually they could see from air.

The third paragraph in the article says the elk, or deer, could be viewed from a nearby ridge. They could have sent instructions back to the workers on the ground. No big mystery here.

#19    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,465 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

If you're partial to a wee hallucinogenic drug now and again, you don't need wings, gliders or balloons to fly.

#20    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 October 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

But are you aware that todays theory of Nasca lines are based on pure speculation?
So if they could speculate so I can too. And many others. There is no explaination for Nasca lines whatsoever.
We asumed that Nascars made it but thats it.

View PostEldorado, on 17 October 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

If you're partial to a wee hallucinogenic drug now and again, you don't need wings, gliders or balloons to fly.

Or if you can astral travel. :tu:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#21    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

I recently also read a little on the Map stones found in russia,God's Blueprints they were termed.Maybe these pictures drawn on the Earth can be God's diagrams before creating life. :yes:

#22    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,465 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 20 October 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

I recently also read a little on the Map stones found in russia,God's Blueprints they were termed.Maybe these pictures drawn on the Earth can be God's diagrams before creating life. :yes:

God should go back to night-school then.  His Engineering Drawing skills are crap.  (no offence, God)

#23    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostEldorado, on 20 October 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

God should go back to night-school then.  His Engineering Drawing skills are crap.  (no offence, God)
Not that bad actually,children draw like this and we still appreciate their art.

#24    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,465 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 20 October 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Not that bad actually,children draw like this and we still appreciate their art.

Aye... but God ain't a child, allegedly.  Maybe it was his "abstract" period?  (only kiddin, Harsh)

#25    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 17 October 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Even if they could fly...how would it help them?
They could observe the area, but how would they transfer that to locating the diagram on the ground?
The would need to take photos at a minimum, and even that wouldn't help unless there were reference points on the ground to correlate.  Many of these areas are barren, rocky wastelands without so much as a tree for a reference point.
I think they just drew them as they are using some method we haven't thought of.  There's a lot can be done by just driving a stake into the ground and attaching a length of rope to it for example.  Or pacing out distance.  Or measuring off longer distances with lengths of rope.  Crop circles are an example of these methods.

I agree.  They made these from the ground, with no real ability to see the big picture, at least as we are able to from the air.  They didn't need to fly to make the drawings.  With very simple math one can work out things like proportions and scale something up - from there it would jsut be a matter of  using whatever they had as a unit of measurement.

My comment was directed mostly at wild speculation that they could see the whole thing from the air when there is no evidence that they had any ability to fly.  And a thinly veiled jab (in my post previous to the one you quoted) at those who theorize that the Nazca lines had something to do with signalling alien life.  I can be kind of an ass sometimes.  Too late to go back and remove the post now.

#26    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 20 October 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

I agree.  They made these from the ground, with no real ability to see the big picture, at least as we are able to from the air.  They didn't need to fly to make the drawings.  With very simple math one can work out things like proportions and scale something up - from there it would jsut be a matter of  using whatever they had as a unit of measurement.

My comment was directed mostly at wild speculation that they could see the whole thing from the air when there is no evidence that they had any ability to fly.  And a thinly veiled jab (in my post previous to the one you quoted) at those who theorize that the Nazca lines had something to do with signalling alien life.  I can be kind of an ass sometimes.  Too late to go back and remove the post now.
I reread your post and can see now it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
All too often the "Ancient Aliens" conclusion is put forth.  I view it as a cop-out to detemine the real methods and motivation for such structures being constructed.
These theories always imply that our ancestors we a bunch of primates without culture or intelligence beyond the hunter-gatherer idea.

Edited by synchronomy, 20 October 2012 - 02:59 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#27    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,018 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Maybe the figure just represents the location for good hunting grounds for that particular animal, as it could once be seen from a distant ridge?
Or a veneration to their "gods" to give luck in hunting.

#28    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

View Postpallidin, on 20 October 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Maybe the figure just represents the location for good hunting grounds for that particular animal, as it could once be seen from a distant ridge?
Or a veneration to their "gods" to give luck in hunting.

Seems more likely to me than some of the more "paranormal" explanations for large scale drawings like this.  Good thinking.

#29    blind pew

blind pew

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostEldorado, on 14 October 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

It was after they "discovered" vodka.

By the way it looks it was done AFTER vodka was discovered

#30    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postthe L, on 19 October 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

But are you aware that todays theory of Nasca lines are based on pure speculation?
So if they could speculate so I can too. And many others. There is no explaination for Nasca lines whatsoever.
We asumed that Nascars made it but thats it.

There's speculation and speculation....

You might want to read this old post of mine, or the pdf I linked to in that post:

http://www.unexplain...5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users