Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

IRS to read your email, Facebook, Twitter

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

That's right, folks.  The IRS is "allowed" to read your email, Facebook, Twitter etc without a warrant.  

It makes me wonder how many of us are being mini-audited through our internet communications?   Hope all my homeys did your IRS tax returns honestly and on time.  ;)

Posted Image

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,104 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

My jaw is so sore from hitting the ground so often these days :o

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#3    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Sounds like they're getting desperate for money they think they got coming to them, every last red cent, if they're going to all that trouble.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#4    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Not even surprised.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostYamato, on 14 April 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

That's right, folks.  The IRS is "allowed" to read your email, Facebook, Twitter etc without a warrant.  

It makes me wonder how many of us are being mini-audited through our internet communications?   Hope all my homeys did your IRS tax returns honestly and on time.  ;)

Posted Image

I totally believe this. Those guys suck...

#6    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Should our emails be protected by the 4th Amendment?   Opinions?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#7    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

What suprises me, is that people are only just starting to realise what the government agencies are up to, concerning reading your FB and twitter accounts etc

Especially when some people that I have read about, posting on their FB / twitter accounts and getting a visit from the local police or FBI soon after, such as Brandon Raub (after posting a hip-hop quote on Facebook) and Justin Hallman (A 16-year-old high school student,whose video report for his American Government class, earned him a visit from the FBI) and the list goes on

Brandon Raub
http://www.guardian....acebook-sue-fbi

Justin Hallman
http://rt.com/usa/fb...rt-hallman-076/

Posted Image

#8    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures, along with requiring any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. It was adopted as a response to the abuse of the writ of assistance, which is a type of general search warrant, in the American Revolution. Search and seizure (including arrest) should be limited in scope according to specific information supplied to the issuing court, usually by a law enforcement officer, who has sworn by it. The Fourth Amendment applies to the states by way of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The "writ of assistance" they are refering to is:

A writ of assistance is a written order (a writ) issued by a court instructing a law enforcement official, such as a sheriff or a tax collector, to perform a certain task. Historically, several types of writs have been called "writs of assistance".[1] Most often, a writ of assistance is "used to enforce an order for the possession of lands".[2] When used to evict someone from real property, such a writ is also called a writ of restitution or a writ of possession.[3] In the area of customs, writs of assistance were first authorized by an act of the English Parliament in 1660 (12 Charles 2 c. 29),[4] and were issued by the Court of Exchequer to help customs officials search for smuggled goods. These writs were called "writs of assistance" because they called upon sheriffs, other officials, and loyal subjects to "assist" the customs official in carrying out his duties.[5]
In general, customs writs of assistance served as general search warrants that did not expire, allowing customs officials to search anywhere for smuggled goods without having to obtain a specific warrant. These writs became controversial when they were issued by courts in British America in the 1760s, especially the Province of Massachusetts Bay. Controversy over these general writs of assistance inspired the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which forbids general search warrants in the United States. In the United Kingdom, general writs of assistance continued to be issued until 1819

The Leon case applies only to search warrants. The Supreme Court ruled in Arizona v. Evans, 514 U.S. 1 (1995) and Herring v. United States (2009), that the exclusionary rule does not apply to evidence found due to negligence regarding a government database, as long as the arresting police officer relied on that database in "good faith" and that the negligence was not pervasive.[48][49][50] In Davis v. United States, 131 S.Ct. 2419 (2011), the Supreme Court ruled that the exclusionary rule does not apply to a Fourth Amendment violation resulting from a reasonable reliance on binding appellate precedent.[51] To what extent the "good faith" exception applies to warrantless seizures in other contexts remains unclear.
The rule has been held not to apply in the following circumstances:
  • probation or parole revocation hearings;[52] tax hearings;[53]
  • deportation hearings;[54]
  • military discharge proceedings;[55] child protective proceedings;[56]
  • sentencing hearings;[citation needed]
  • evidence seized from a common carrier;[57]
  • evidence collected by U.S. Customs agents;[58]
  • evidence seized by probation or parole officers;[59]
  • evidence seized outside the United States;[citation needed]
  • evidence illegally seized by a "private actor" (i.e., not a governmental employee);[60] and
  • illegally seized evidence used to impeach the defendant's testimony.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia....es_Constitution

#9    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,208 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I keep telling my sister and my nephews that they shouldn't post things on face book (or anywhere on the internet for that matter) without understanding that the whole world is going to going to have access to it.  The information you put out there is held and spread by companies and individuals that generally don't hold your privacy as a concern.  And even if a company- facebook for example, did decide to hold your information private, there is no guarantee that a hacker or a government warrant wouldn't override them and get the information anyways.  Seriously, how do you know if all your emails aren't stored in a Chinese government server that your email provider rents?  Bottom line is: If you want to hide a criminal act or information then don't post it on the internet!

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostPurifier, on 14 April 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Sounds like they're getting desperate for money they think they got coming to them, every last red cent, if they're going to all that trouble.
Unless you happen to be a billionaire.
In which case the IRS will look the other way I'm sure.

#11    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostPurifier, on 14 April 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Yes, they are sharing information with the states and federal agencies.  I've heard of several people losing all their refund to pay on student loans or other state taxes.  If it's not really their debt they will be months disputing it.  Doesn't surprise me that they would read email, face book, etc.  No wonder they want you to file free forms for that quickest free method of refund.  I filed mine over two months ago and I'm still getting "being processed".  Maybe they are still trying to find my face book account that doesn't exist LOL

#12    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,925 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostJackofalltrades, on 14 April 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

What suprises me, is that people are only just starting to realise what the government agencies are up to, concerning reading your FB and twitter accounts etc

Especially when some people that I have read about, posting on their FB / twitter accounts and getting a visit from the local police or FBI soon after, such as Brandon Raub (after posting a hip-hop quote on Facebook) and Justin Hallman (A 16-year-old high school student,whose video report for his American Government class, earned him a visit from the FBI) and the list goes on

Brandon Raub
http://www.guardian....acebook-sue-fbi

Justin Hallman
http://rt.com/usa/fb...rt-hallman-076/

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 14 April 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Yes, they are sharing information with the states and federal agencies.  I've heard of several people losing all their refund to pay on student loans or other state taxes.  If it's not really their debt they will be months disputing it.  Doesn't surprise me that they would read email, face book, etc.  No wonder they want you to file free forms for that quickest free method of refund.  I filed mine over two months ago and I'm still getting "being processed".  Maybe they are still trying to find my face book account that doesn't exist LOL

Not Good! Not Good at all! Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to check our bank accounts, saving accounts, IRA accounts or whatever account you may have.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#13    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostPurifier, on 15 April 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

Not Good! Not Good at all! Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to check our bank accounts, saving accounts, IRA accounts or whatever account you may have.

Hate to break the news to you but they already can do that, usually it's called a garnishment when they discover a balance and they just take your money out of an account.  They do contact financial instituions where ever they think you may have money and not just the accounts that reported 1099's.  I know of several under the table small businesses that recently got caught that way, then they audit them years back. I don't really feel sorry for them since  it makes the rest of us pay who are honest reporters pay more than our fair share.

#14    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,971 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

According to the current law, opened emailed and email older than six months does not require a warrant. Email that hasn’t been opened or is less than six months old does
http://www.foxnews.c...emails-without/

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#15    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postninjadude, on 15 April 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard. So any email you read is instantly public property? Well then, let's see all the email accounts of every elected official posted on a .gov.. Now that's transparency.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users