Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lost Angkorian ruins found in remote Cambodia

Sundog

Archaeologists using revolutionary airborne laser technology have discovered a lost mediaeval city that thrived on a mist-shrouded Cambodian mountain 1200 years ago.

The stunning discovery of the city, Mahendraparvata, includes temples hidden by jungle for centuries - temples that archaeologists believe have never been looted.

further details and video: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2WHLHVoWb

• Like 2

great spot blackdogsun ... :tu:

It will also allow archaeologists and historians to learn more about the evolution of Angkor, the enormous political and religious empire that dominated most of south-east Asia for 600 years.

we in Asia believe ... regardless of what is said ... that the empire is far more ancient than 600 years ...

:lol:

• Like 2

Cool links!

The stunning discovery of the city, Mahendraparvata, includes temples hidden by jungle for centuries - temples that archaeologists believe have never been looted.

Try saying that ten times fast! :)

• Like 1

Aweeesome! There are still real mysteries left... well there was lol

This is one of the most interesting areas I have ever been. If you go to Angkor Thom, a temple that has only partially been cleared of the encroaching jungle, it is not hard to believe there are yet many structures still hidden in Cambodia. Giant trees, strangler figs and vines can grow to enormous size in a wet tropical climate and in probably less than 100 years completely hide a structure several stories tall.

Edited by Sundew

I bet they were tipped off by former Khmer Rouge

Well now that they've told everyone that there are unlooted temples there, I'd expect some looting to start. If there is an entire city, they'd need thousands of guards to keep looters out.

Otherwise.... super cool!!

• Like 1

I bet they were tipped off by former Khmer Rouge

According to our guide in Siem Reap (and signs along the Thai/Cambodian boarder) they are not all former; they are still operating within Cambodia though at a "low level". We were warned that they hold up people for money, but are rarely violent, but I can't confirm this. Our guide who looked to be in his thirties, said both his parents were murdered by the Khmer Rouge as were another Cambodian woman's parents we met a few weeks ago here in the states. Very sad the legacy of communism around the world.

This is actually a very interesting article; I'm sure there are many more temples like this that remain hidden due to the dense forest and I think it's the stuff of movies but I'm distracted by the link halfway down the page that says, "New trend in Japan, eyeball licking". After I saw that I couldn't focus on the article.

I'm also thinking if it's really Atlantis like it's in danger of being looted and damaged. Maybe should have waited to announce the discovery but then again... the area is pretty hard to find.

• Like 1

how many years have we had google earth? And that's tech for the public... and we discover a whole city just now? next we'll find 4-5 new planets between venus and mars...

how many years have we had google earth? And that's tech for the public... and we discover a whole city just now? next we'll find 4-5 new planets between venus and mars...

And your brain.
  • Like 2

yup.. very cool! So much more will be found using that Airborne Laser and temperature variable sensing tech. The temp vision stuff can see cooler areas above rock walls under Sand for instance. The invisible becomes visible !!

Edited by lightly

There ARE still undiscovered wonders in the modern world ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a photo at the top of the article. What I don't understand is what makes this an "Atlantis-like" city.