Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does the name Jesus make you mad? Why ?

SpiritWriter

It seems that the name Jesus stirs up alot of controversy and "feelings",

what are those feelings?

why is it upsetting?

what is your biggest grief with religion

abrahamic God

Jesus - what does this name do to you on the inside.

I AM MORE THAN TROLLING

This is a real topic, although I know we will get comments of a negative nature. I think its good to explore that...

how does your body respond to these words:

Holy

Jesus

Holy Ghost

Believer

Born Again

Baptism

Baptism of the Fire

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

Does make me mad at all. Slightly irritated, if indeed they are being used in a proselytizing-type context. But other than that, no particular feelings.

• Like 2

Levon wears his war wound like a crown

He calls his child Jesus '

because he likes the name

seems a fairly common name in the Caribean, too

doesnt bother me. its just a word.

• Like 1

Like Arbitran, it makes me irritated. People claim that he existed, when we have nothing to base that claim off of other than stories in the bible.

• Like 5

I don't mind if I hear the name jesus said as a swear word, because that's all it is to me now. I do get irritated when some christians preach about jesus because they are so sure a fictional character (I say this because his existence is yet to be proven) is a cast iron fact. I hate religion, so any reference to it, whatever word is used, does grate on me. This is because all the words you mentioned in the list I associate with a lie that has been responsible for the deaths of millions, and ruined millions more lives. But I used to believe it all, so I get the appeal.

• Like 4

idk, i have some friends name jesus but its a pretty cool name the only thing that really bothers me is when someone is un willing to listen to others or already have their mind set (almost the entire population of the world, and yes atheists to)

• Like 3

what are those feelings?

Maybe It's a little unsettling to me to see his name used so often without any proof of his existence.

why is it upsetting?

Why do you assume everyone is upset? Disbelief is not upsetting!

That it is mind controlling and breeds hatred and bigotry, not to mention intolerance!

abrahamic God

Is there a question here? I simply don't believe....

The need for Tums comes to mind!

I AM MORE THAN TROLLING

Should I report you?

This is a real topic, although I know we will get comments of a negative nature. I think its good to explore that...

Holy

Jesus

Holy Ghost

Believer

Born Again

Baptism

Baptism of the Fire

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

I try not to think of them! In fact, most of them I pay no attention to at all. They're just religious terms.......nothing to get my boxers in a twist about.

• Like 6

Not at all. I consider Him a friend. Hope to see Him soon. Hopefully He won't be too disappointed in me.

• Like 7

What irritates me is that i was raised in school and stuff, to fear NOT believeing in him, or id go to hell, and be tortured with my worst fear. Why does a religion have to scare you into believing them? even now i hate talking bad or in disbelieve in God because of the fear built in me by priest and teachers

Edited by JeffRobinson
  • Like 4

please don't

OK, but I'm watching you! :ph34r:

• Like 2

what are those feelings?

why is it upsetting?

The name of Jesus is evoking diverse feelings in me. On the one hand I remember Hellish people - Christians who do not believe in him too much, but they pretend that they do all through their life. On the other hand I recall a feeling that the connection of a man to a Jesus Christ - to the ideal of someone like him who is in the Heaven - really works. But probably to a different Jesus Christ that how he is interpreted by Christians. More exactly to several Beings who are like him.

Edited by The_Spirit_of_Truth
  • Like 1

what are those feelings?

why is it upsetting?

abrahamic God

I AM MORE THAN TROLLING

Holy

Jesus

Holy Ghost

Believer

Born Again

Baptism

Baptism of the Fire

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

My body has no response to any of these words.

• Like 2

Cool,

Another SpiritWriter thread that's going to go for miles once Vatic finds it, lol..

To answer: how does your body respond to these words:

Holy

No Problem....

Jesus

*angry* Yes, I used to have a problem with this.. Someone very close to me (bapist) would say "Jesus loves you"... but less rarely, I love you.. And I never liked it... guess I still dont... When they use his name to get their point across like "but Jesus said" or "The Lord" I feel they are defeating his own teachings but putting him of a pedastool that they should be standing on.. Devout use "Jesus" to live their lives, and IMO, that takes life from them..

Holy Ghost

No Problem.... I think this is a universal truth..

Believer

No Problem.... So long as it's not thrust on others..

Born Again

Baptism

No Problem.... So long as people do not claim that Baptism is essential.. It should be a choice made by an individual, not something imposed under fear of not having it done..

Baptism of the Fire

Never heard of it? sounds sizzling.. Is this something I can perform on the BBQ? lol..

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

Problem. I think ritual can help some people.. Unfortunately I fear it is also used as a tool for harm. Errr, I cant really decide what I feel on this subject? Good & Bad I quess..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Nope doesn't make me mad but for an odd reason just gives me an urge to shut the nearest door on somebody.

• Like 3

Not mad. Irritated sometimes, but most times the word isn't of any significance and doesn't bother me. Same applies to the rest.

• Like 1

Nah, I have no personal beef with religious words. Could I ask if the word Muhammad makes you mad? Or Allah? Personally the only words strung together in the English language that make me mad are 'Twilight/Fifty Shades of Grey is a good book series'.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

Nah, I have no personal beef with religious words. Could I ask if the word Muhammad makes you mad? Or Allah? Personally the only words strung together in the English language that make me mad are 'Twilight/Fifty Shades of Grey is a good book series'.

No they don't make me mad.

I think you are trying to say that the words alone have no effect on you, but I was looking for the overall meaning of the concepts and the reactions they stir.

These are the concepts I hate:

-Domestic Violence

-Psychological manipulation/abuse (specifically to control/oppress - yes I know this is done in religion/politics/relationships/ - I do not like this in any regard)

-Child Abuse

-Oppression

-Racism

-Hate

-Crime (hurting others)

-taking money (and other resources) away from the education system

-1% of the population owning all the wealth

-bad teachers

-ill intentioned teachers/leaders/priests

-rape

-violence

-power (this word stirs up a positive and a negative for me)

-the media (this word, although not specifically "negative" stirs up a negative reaction in me - I see it as a way to control, and it makes me MAD! Even though I see the good uses for it and the "good" potential it has)

hmmmm. There is more, but that's all I can think of to list right now.

The word "T-mobile" makes me mad...

Edited by SpiritWriter

Being told a dead guy loves me is a bit creepy, not to mention I don't swing that way.

• Like 2

what are those feelings?

why is it upsetting?

abrahamic God

I AM MORE THAN TROLLING

Holy

Jesus

Holy Ghost

Believer

Born Again

Baptism

Baptism of the Fire

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

I think the name Jesus, when used in a religous context, is often used to manipulate people unfortunately. When used in that context I find it annoying. Such a person as a biblical Jesus may have as well. I dunno. Either way, I'll give an answer as to what pops in my mind for each one.

Holy- Batman and Robin

Jesus- car Dealer

Holy Ghost- Nothing.

Believer- Nothing.

Born Again- Nothing.

Baptism- My kids. (Raised Catholic.)

Baptism of the Fire- Parris Island

Laying of the Hands- Ridiculous

exorcising demons- Ridiculous.

Ultimately my "body" has no reaction to these statements in this context. They're just words. My reaction would depend on how the words are used.

:su

• Like 3

why is it upsetting?

My religious teachers taught the Bible and about Jesus as if there were incontrovertable evidence to support what they said. When I started looking into it for myself, I found there was almost no evidence at all to support anything they told me - they had just parotted stories they had heard without making any effort to verify them. While not exactly a lie, this was a lot less than the truth. And it was a major disappointment at the time.

I submit that anger at any of these names is misplaced. It is not the legend that is at fault, but the abusive way in which "believers" try to inflict their unsupported and unwanted opinions on the rest of the world.

The historical evidence supporting even the existence of Jesus is miniscule at best. It consists of two statements by Papias, Bishop of Hieronymous. In one he says he "has the words of John ringing in my ears." In the other he relates a story he says was told to him by "the daughters of Philip." By "John" Papias probably meant John the Apostle; though, there are several Johns he might have been talking about. Papias calls him a "presbyter." I note that he never called anyone else a "presbyter" and he never referred to anyone else as an apostle, so he probably meant John the Apostle. Papias was an "ear-witness" to the existence of John. As far as I know, that is the only report by a person claiming to be a witness to the existence of Jesus or any of the apostles.

Papias did not claim to have met Philip, only his daughters (The Bible says there were four.). Thus, he was not a witness to the existence of Philip.

Not even Paul, who lived in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus' execution, ever claimed to have seen him or heard of the execution. Everything Paul claimed to "lnow" about Jesus came to him in a "vision" - a hallucenation.

That's as close to direct evidence of Jesus as there is. Where there was an apostle, presumably there was a teacher. Thus, the existence of the teacher is a reasonable assumption. But NOBODY anywhere gives an eye-witness account of Jesus. Nobody says "I had breakfast with Jesus yesterday." or "I saw them nail him to the cross." Not even the Gospels claim to be eye-witness accounts.

There is also a statement by Irenaeus that Polycarp was a student of John. Polycarp, himself, never said any such thing, but Irenaeus was a very careful scholar and if his sources were right, he was right. But that, too, is hearsay evidence.

What can a historian really say about Jesus? "Such a person MIGHT have existed."

Holy Ghost

The concept does not appear in the Bible. It was a later invention.

Born Again

A probable misquote by Justin the Martyr of a verse in John. The verse says that to enter the kingdom of heaven, one must be born of water - in other words, baptized. Justin rendered it "born again," thus kicking off the whole born again thing.

Doug

• Like 1

Jesus

In the religious sense, no doesn't make me mad at all. Religion has been around for awhile, as well as non-believers. Both should be tolerant of each other by now.

Jesus

In the NY City cab driver sense that drove me way out of the way just to collect more fare from a naive tourist... now THAT Jesus made me mad.

• Like 3