Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Universe A Matrix Computer Game

Still Waters

British philosopher Nick Bostrom says he believes that the reality we perceive around us may be the product of a highly-advanced computer program, much like the plot of the Matrix movies - and surprisingly NASA have said they agree with him.

Dr Bostrom proposed in a paper he wrote that an evolved race of aliens have imprisoned the human-race in what he refers to as a "digital imprisonment".

http://yournewswire....liens-say-nasa/

so nasa is one guy now? and saying he may be onto something is agreeing with his theory? uh huhhhh....

What if we created this virtual reality to keep us from going insane. Perhaps we're traveling through the cosmos generation after generation. All is deep slumber. Awaiting for worlds to be ripe for colonization. Then when the time is right we "die" in this false world. Only to awaken into the true reality. Like a dream.

• Like 5

There are glitches, not very often, but there are glitches in what we call reality. Is that our minds skipping or what?

I've often wondered about these glitches. How sometimes you get the feeling of being watched or someone touches you. You hear someone talking and no one is there. Just random weirdness.

• Like 1

So without any evidence a philosopher comes up with the matrix (which was entertaining, but fiction) as a unifying theory and we're just suppose to go 'Hmmm, okay'? It's an argument from ignorance. We haven't resolved quantum mechanics or dark matter but that's probably because that's the 'border' of the program we are in... really?

• Like 2

So without any evidence a philosopher comes up with the matrix (which was entertaining, but fiction) as a unifying theory and we're just suppose to go 'Hmmm, okay'? It's an argument from ignorance. We haven't resolved quantum mechanics or dark matter but that's probably because that's the 'border' of the program we are in... really?

Far too skeptical -- indeed cynical. It is a model that works every bit as well as the theory of reality you probably function under, and is mathematically consistent to boot.

I've often wondered about these glitches. How sometimes you get the feeling of being watched or someone touches you. You hear someone talking and no one is there. Just random weirdness.

I don't know that what you describe are the sort of glitches involved here.

A ghost could be the residual thought-form of someone who once existed within the system. Like a leftover. It's an interesting thought experiment. What if this supposed matrix is not a computer program but the side effect of billions of human minds connected together. Like a wired collective unconscious. Creating a very very lucid dream in which we all exist in until we wake up. The system only keeps our mind in the right range to keep us from waking, but we create the reality. While we're all hooked to a stasis system that keeps us in hyper sleep. Sort of a Matrix-Inception mix.

• Like 2

Far too skeptical -- indeed cynical. It is a model that works every bit as well as the theory of reality you probably function under, and is mathematically consistent to boot.

Perhaps so Frank but the main issue I have is there isn't any evidence other than pure speculation to support a 'matrix' reality. You're jumping on the 'no evidence to the contrary' fallacy bandwagon.

By the way, it's good to see you around again Frank, I hope all is well with you. :tu:

• Like 1

Well, I know the Konami code doesn't work, I tried...

• Like 4

Perhaps so Frank but the main issue I have is there isn't any evidence other than pure speculation to support a 'matrix' reality. You're jumping on the 'no evidence to the contrary' fallacy bandwagon.

I don't know that there is "no evidence" and I doubt you do either. Sounds to me like people have already cited some.

When it comes to theories as to the nature of reality, evidence is kinda hard to come by and even harder to assess. By the way, I've jumped on no bandwagons -- I have no basis for doing so and am neutral -- and you have no "evidence" for having concluded otherwise.

By the way, it's good to see you around again Frank, I hope all is well with you. :tu:

Thanks.
  • Like 3

British philosopher Nick Bostrom says he believes that the reality we perceive around us may be the product of a highly-advanced computer program, much like the plot of the Matrix movies - and surprisingly NASA have said they agree with him.

Dr Bostrom proposed in a paper he wrote that an evolved race of aliens have imprisoned the human-race in what he refers to as a "digital imprisonment".

http://yournewswire....liens-say-nasa/

Isn't this what David Icke of shape-shifting alien lizards fame said some time ago?

• Like 1

The computational power required is too large. Not only physics simulated but chemical reaction and thoughts of humans as well as animals simulated.

The computational power required is too large. Not only physics simulated but chemical reaction and thoughts of humans as well as animals simulated.
What if this supposed matrix is not a computer program but the side effect of billions of human minds connected together. Like a wired collective unconscious. Creating a very very lucid dream in which we all exist in until we wake up.

Wouldn't something like this require far less computing power. Since basically all you have is a collective reality.

Wow, original idea, doctor.

I don't know that there is "no evidence" and I doubt you do either. Sounds to me like people have already cited some.

When it comes to theories as to the nature of reality, evidence is kinda hard to come by and even harder to assess. By the way, I've jumped on no bandwagons -- I have no basis for doing so and am neutral -- and you have no "evidence" for having concluded otherwise.

Thanks.

Will Occam's razor suffice then? Do we assume that the observable universe is as we see it and real or do we assume that our reality is a matrix developed by aliens and the whole host of other assumptions that go along with that? It makes for a decent thought experiment, granted but little else I'm afraid.

• Like 2

If our universe is indeed just a simulation, you can't base what would be possible "outside" of it from what we see is possible from the inside, in here.

A crude example; a computer in a "The Sims" game capabilities in comparison to ours. :)

• Like 1

You suppose Mario and Luigi ponder their reality? :huh:

post-103357-0-51374000-1431752620_thumb.

• Like 1

I think by Occam's Razor the projection theory is simplest; reality is damn complicated. Also I would say we don't know what sort of computer would be needed since we don't know the algorithms involved, and some very complicated things can come from simple algorithms.

I've for a long time thought something along these lines is probably behind what we perceive as reality, but never thought it terribly important. It's kinda like arguing if there was a real Robin Hood. Whether or not, the universe is what it is, and we perceive the universe the way we perceive it.

(Maybe I speak too quickly here -- on further thought, if it should be that there are shortcuts available to us within reality as is hinted within quantum phenomena so that we can do godlike things, maybe the whole thing could turn out to be more important than it now seems).