Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ethics and legal issues behind abortion

Blood_Sacrifice

Ethics and legal issues behind abortion  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Morally you support abortion only when

• The woman's life is at fatal (or similar) risk
    • Rape case scenario
    • Genetic deformities of the fetus
    • As a 'contraceptive method' to unwanted pregnancies
    • All case
    • Never - not even when the woman's health is at fatal risk
  2. 2. Legally when do you support abortion?

• The woman's life is at fatal (or similar) risk
    • Rape case scenario
    • Genetic deformities of the fetus
    • As a 'contraceptive method' to unwanted pregnancies
    • All case
    • Never - not even when the woman's health is at fatal risk

Morally - only when the woman's health is at fatal risk.

Legally - support the woman's choice in ALL cases.

So you can call me morally prolife but legally prochoice.

• Like 1

I'm pro-life in all cases, I don't believe that abortion should be used as contraceptive... even for a 14 year old. This is why they have adoption agencies.

The ONLY TIME I believe it's a feasible option, is under 2 circumstances:

1. Mother will die

2. Baby is severely retarded or deformed

I don't believe a woman should have the right to kill their baby in any other case even rape (again, this is why they have adoption agencies... it's not the babies fault), and I believe that if you do, you're no better than a murdering psychopath... and furthermore you should be locked up.

Edited by mindpurge

What about the psychological issues that could arise from not only being raped but then having to carry said rapist's baby to term and then give birth to that baby? I know, it's not the child's fault, but what about the psychological harm that could be inflicted on the mother?

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 3

I support a woman's right to choose in all cases both legally and morally. While I myself would not have one except under special circumstances, such as health, I believe that what others choose to do is none of my business and they will do what is right for them. I do, however have a big problem with late term abortions, especially when the baby would be viable outside the womb. There's no need for that, in my opinion.

• Like 6

I don't believe a woman should have the right to kill their baby in any other case even rape (again, this is why they have adoption agencies... it's not the babies fault), and I believe that if you do, you're no better than a murdering psychopath... and furthermore you should be locked up.

And I could say you're no better than a rapist for denying the women the legal choice to abort. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 9

For anyone to vote it is not right to abort in ALL cases...I do not get how they think it is morally right to go ahead and let the woman die as a result? It is disgusting

• Like 1

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one, but who are you to tell others they cannot?

Some tigers eat their young and some humans abort theirs, neither of which affects you or me in the slightest.

• Like 4

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one, but who are you to tell others they cannot?

Who is saying they cannot?

Who is saying they cannot?

Just a general statement BM, meant for any anti-abortionists.

• Like 1

I voted in all cases for both moral and legal, but I want to make a caveat that it only applies to the first 15 weeks, after that I would say life of the mother or severe problems with the fetus for both moral and legal.

I'm pro-life in all cases, I don't believe that abortion should be used as contraceptive... even for a 14 year old. This is why they have adoption agencies.

1. Mother will die

I think you might be a psychopath to believe that your ideals are the most important thing in the world considering narcissim is the #1 psychopathic trait. Also, adoption is not really a better option in my mind. It is just a different one.

Edited by FurthurBB
  • Like 3

If a woman is raped, I believe if she wants to get cleaned out right away, so be it...It is her right..

I have never been raped...but I would imagine it is a terrifying ordeal... I think so many want all traces of the rapist out of their bodies as soon as possible..

• Like 2

If a woman is raped, I believe if she wants to get cleaned out right away, so be it...It is her right..

I have never been raped...but I would imagine it is a terrifying ordeal... I think so many want all traces of the rapist out of their bodies as soon as possible..

Not only that. If we allow rape to be a viable form of reproduction, we could open up a pandoras box.

Women should have the right to make that choice for themselves. A state should not dictate whether or not a women has an abortion or has a child.

• Like 2

Not only that. If we allow rape to be a viable form of reproduction, we could open up a pandoras box.

There is always those possibilities, I agree..

1. Mother will die

You *stole* my avatar ...how rude

I really don't care. It is their life and their body, so they can do as they wish. Frankly, I would much rather see a mother abort a child that was the result of a rape than to see that child grow up feeling unloved. Putting a child up for adoption, also, could have extremely negative implications, especially if it is adopted into a home where they become sexually abused.

This topic is also in the incorrect forum. I do not see how this pertains to "Spirituality v. Skepticism". This is more of a "Philosophy and Psychology"-oriented topic.

Edited by Alienated Being
  • Like 2

You *stole* my avatar ...how rude

You change your avatar once a week ;)

I just don't care in anymore. Abort whomever you want.

What's the difference between a pile of aborted fetuses and a Lamborghini?

I don't have a Lamborghini in my garage....

• Like 2

You change your avatar once a week ;)

No,more like every three days .I'm trying to keep up with Eldorado and Hasina here ..don't harsh my mellow ...and its still no excuse to not at least ASK ,can I have the avatar a friend made for your old LiveJournal ,like TEN YEARS AGO . Rude.....just rrruuuddeee .Terrible forum etiquette .tut tut

Some tigers eat their young and some humans abort theirs, neither of which affects you or me in the slightest.

The unnecessary death of every human being; unborn, young or old, offends me and hurts me. It is, inherently and logically, no more ethical or moral to kill an unborn child than to kill one a week old, or to kill a ninety year old.

The problem is a practical one. An unborn child is biologically attached to its mother who is necessary for its survival . In turn the baby can affect the mothers physical and psychological health.

That puts two unique individuals into a potential conflict of interest.

The most ethical and logical solution is to assign proportional rights to both individuals. As an existing adult human, a woman has certain basic rights. So does an unborn child, albeit lesser in law and in reality because it is a biologically dependent entity rather than an entirely independent one..

The "trick" is balancing those rights in the best interests of both individuals. While pregnant, a woman's body is not just her own. She is also the host of a second unique and individual human being who will, with time and fortune, become a human being just like her. Tigers kill other tigers. humans kill other humans.

Murder does not affect me personally. Are you saying i have no right to comment on the morality of murder, or work to prevent one adult human being killing another just because it "doesn't affect me"?

Abortion doesn't affect me personally either, but i have the same rights to comment on it, and to work towards establishing legal and ethical frameworks to regulate it.

As a 'contraceptive method' to unwanted pregnancies.

Is this the whole morning after pill included in this or not? because the whole morning after pill isn't an abortion regardless of how many bibles and pro-lifers you try to throw at it.

Is this the whole morning after pill included in this or not? because the whole morning after pill isn't an abortion regardless of how many bibles and pro-lifers you try to throw at it.

That's not really abortion more like being on the pill.

I took the morning after pill twice ..Back when Gary and I did not want kids... That is one hateful pill to take, made me throw up ...

Women have been dealing with unwanted pregnancies for thousands of year, and will continue to do so despite whatever restrictive laws might be passed. Any way, why aren't we talking about the causes of unwanted pregnancies instead of the results? Why aren't we talking about sex education, free or cheap contraceptives, tougher child support enforcement, tougher sentencing for sex and child abusers, how we can support the mothers and their babies? Why aren't we focusing on solutions instead of insisting on making moral arguments? Reframing the question might result in practical, workable, solutions that moral arguments will likely never accomplish.

Edited by Beany