Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BioTechnology

Reader

I was just wondering what people thought of BioTechnology... 'cause we had a heated discussion in my Bio class about it... so.. I wondered what you guys would say about it.

Do you think that putting human DNA inside cows to make "better milk" is morally right or wrong?

Thanx!

happy.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• Reader

• Super Pancake

• Malek

Top Posters In This Topic

It depend on what is your morality. If you found normal and rightful that a race do everything she can to get better, you should think that this is moral.

But you will surely disagree with this technology if you don't like to see human "playing God". Conservators wouldn't agree neither I guess.

From my own point of view, I say that if it does not affect the subject and it give an useful result it can be moral. If the final result goes to wars, shame on humanity for having invented this technology.

I think its great that we are now entering a Biotechnology era... Soon the technology will mature and we will see many cures for disease...

How is that morally wrong?

Humans have faults. Our dna gets damaged, like we fix other things.. Why not fix ourselves?

We dont grow up, We grow OLD. after the age of around 20, life actually declines. You start to LOSE brain cells. You are dying from the age of around 20 !

So clearly that needs fixing.

Im not religous, but from a religious perspective.

If god made this universe, and these tools do it exist in the known universe. Then a god hasnt hidden them from us. So we should use what we have to do a little re-arranging and cure aging and the rest of our problems

----

Also biotechnology can greatly help poor nations. We can grow food in places that it doesnt normally grow in by changing the genetics. Also get food to grow faster etc..

its a very useful technology and a VERY dangerous one because people will be able to geneticly engineer viruses that can specificly target a group of people.

Edited by whoa182

its a very useful technology and a VERY dangerous one because people will be able to geneticly engineer viruses that can specificly target a group of people.

522101[/snapback]

That's what I'm afraid of, humans normally are good people in nature but there are just some who are out right dangerous to society, such technology is way to dangerous. but it's not like it's going to change 50 or so years from now there will be super humans "yeah" thumbsup.gif to bad I'll be too old, and probably wanting to die already.

But the biggest contenders of this technology is not the religious groups it's the pharmaceutical companies (who fund religious groups) who got the most to lose.

This is a very good question.

Why should we allocate most federal research dollars on biotechnology, when most of our issues are societal (social) based? Probably because we put too much trust in scientists and doctors... and the business community is licking its chops everytime a "new breakthrough" is discovered.

Unfortunately, is seems that human beings are more concerned about staving off death, then actually living.

Life: Length over quality? I take quality.

Why should we be trying to lengthen the "end" of our lives... when that's the crappiest part, and those people are basically "leaches" on our society (receive federal living assistance)?

I think giving scientists "free reign" over technology and medical research is immoral... they may have a decent motive, but they always underestimate the potential negative impact.

Unfortunately, is seems that human beings are more concerned about staving off death, then actually living.

Life: Length over quality? I take quality.

Disoveries from Biotech research does offer Longer and Healthier QUALITY of life.. It doesnt add 30 years of frailty, but an extra 30 years of healthy active life.

We dont die of aging, we die of the diseases that come with aging.

With biotech removing such diseases like heart disease, autoimmune diseases, failing organs.. We actually get to live a longer life without being frail, as a result we are not a burden on society thumbsup.gif

Edited by whoa182

biotech is more than jus gene splicin. it has a bright future ahead of it like Genetics.

Like everything else, bio-tech can be used for good or evil.

It is not the technology that is inherently wrong, it's how it's used

that would be the question. It's the age-old question, is man

good or evil? This can and has, been said of all technology. You

should not keep such things from doing the good it could achieve...

on the other hand I am loathe to think of people like dubya

with such technology sad.gif