Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does believing in something make it real?

Gary Meadows

Be it God, aliens, ghosts, etc. Does believing make it real?

The somewhat recent explosion of Slender Man stories made me wonder. Does enough of us believing in something pull an idea from the darkness of thought into reality?

Are we with our infinite imagination the true creators?

*mind explodes*

Whoa!

• Like 2

No.

Oh ok. Case closed. But a little more thought on the subject couldn't hurt.

Edited by Jeffertonturner
  • Like 1

Millions of small children believe - freverently - in Santa Claus (or Father Christmas, etc)... Where is he then?...

This is my thought on the subject... So ... No...

it does make for a good sci-fi story premise though...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 6

Oh ok. Case closed. But a little more thought on the subject couldn't hurt.

But that's what I think.

I have brown hair, will thinking it's ginger make it so?

No.

It's What I think, you can think what you want.

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 2

Millions of small children believe - freverently - in Santa Claus (or Father Christmas, etc)... Where is he then?...

This is my thought on the subject... So ... No...

it does make for a good sci-fi story premise though...

But is it alive because of how many people believe?

Count how many times you see his image in the coming months. Does that not make it somewhat real? In some sense..

Edited by Jeffertonturner
  • Like 1

I'm not articulating this as well as I'd like but,

Slender Man did not exist. Until one thought it up, then more believed, then multiple people kill others, and themselves for him. But he did not exist. But that belief made it so.

That is what I'm driving at.

• Like 1

We definitely have powers of creation regarding our imaginations. Humanity has created many conceptual ideas, many of which are discussed on these board. As to the possibility that the concepts have been made material, I would say no.

There is actually a subgroup of Christianity which believes that a creative force exists which we can access with our language and create stuff ourselves.

• Like 2

I just find it interesting that, once we come up with an idea that catches on, it cannot be destroyed, even by logic.

We are indeed powerful.

• Like 3

Does enough of us believing in something pull an idea from the darkness of thought into reality?

....No. Imaginary things are still imaginary things no matter how hard you wish it to be true. The number of people wishing it has no effect.

I just find it interesting that, once we come up with an idea that catches on, it cannot be destroyed, even by logic.

If an idea is false then logic will destroy it no matter how hard you wish it to be true

In the end a belief is still just a belief. You can believe that the universe is run by a giant, fluffy purple cat but no amount of faith and belief will make it true.

Just because you like or want something to be true doesn't make it so.

• Like 4

Agreed, but the bigfoot, loch ness, ufo, ghost "proof" will never stop and will "live" longer than you and I. So where is the line?

:)

• Like 1

If an idea is false then logic will destroy it no matter how hard you wish it to be true

I think what he means is that the concept itself can't be destroyed.

• Like 3

It's only 'real' in the mind of the believer, but without physical evidence it will never be 'physically real', no matter how many people believe it to be true.

It also doesn't matter when a possible logical explanation is provided. It will be immediately dismissed.

• Like 2

Believing in something makes it real for the individual, billions hold complete belief in a few old books and scrolls that were fabricated by mere mortal humans with absolutely no evidence to back up anything that is written, but we call it religion and this world is ran by it!

• Like 5

The somewhat recent explosion of Slender Man stories made me wonder. Does enough of us believing in something pull an idea from the darkness of thought into reality?

*mind explodes*

Whoa!

Nope. Quantity does not equal quality either. Just because a load of people are either gullible enough to believe, or naïve enough to follow, still does not make it true.

We certainly are creators for sure.... of our infinite imagination.

• Like 3

We are indeed powerful.

The idea may be powerful, but the rest is based on numerous things:

gullibility

naivety

hope

faith

a sense of being a part of

superstition

belief in hearsay

fantasies

lack of education

looking for excitement

indoctrination

peer pressure

need I go on...but as mentioned, the quantity does not indicate the quality, because each person could have their own reason for believing. So if an idea can fall into the minds of all those on the list above, then we are looking at potentially....thousands, if not millions of believers.

• Like 2

If you believe and believe in something you eventually reshape your life to achieve it.

• Like 2

If you believe and believe in something you eventually reshape your life to achieve it.

When I was little, for a long time I wanted to be a werewolf and wished desperately to wake up one day in a new, wolf body but no matter how hard I wished for it and believed it would happen, it never did. So much for belief. :cry:

Edited by Ryu

Nope. Quantity does not equal quality either. Just because a load of people are either gullible enough to believe, or naïve enough to follow, still does not make it true.

We certainly are creators for sure.... of our infinite imagination.

I think of it as "wish fulfillment" it's the thing that creates millionaires out of people who can dream up a good, convincing story. Frodo is as alive today to a new Tolkien reader as he was the moment the first person was introduced to him in the pages of Fellowship...
  • Like 1

Do you want a scientific answer or a spiritual one? How about both? Everything that exists, began as a thought. Everything in nature was a thought in God's mind, simply spoken into existence. Everything made with human hands began as a thought as well, and I do believe we can be co-creators. Take matter down to the quantum level and things get strange. They have shown in laboratories that a particle is a wave up until the point of observation, at which time it 'chooses' it's destination as a particle. Everything we see and experience can go no further than what you have 'downloaded' through your lifetime or the thought forms given to us as children. My reality is very different from the average person. I have a very open mind and welcome new ideas. I've been given a brain that tends to crave the unknown and because of that, I see things most people can not. I never doubt the existence or validity of a person's reality. If they believe it to be real and define it, it can be created.

• Like 2

Believing in something makes it possible or Im-possible.

Its all down to interest after this.

Edited by Mark One

When I was little, for a long time I wanted to be a werewolf and wished desperately to wake up one day in a new, wolf body but no matter how hard I wished for it and believed it would happen, it never did. So much for belief. :cry:

Yes but look at all that hair on your body ;)

*mind explodes*

Whoa!

It depends on how you look at it. From an internal perspective it's as real as you want it to be. From a creative perspective it can become real. Take a realistic perspective and it might be real, if there is evidence of it. Belief is nothing without action.

Believing in something makes it possible or Im-possible.

Its all down to interest after this.

Maybe because the majority of humanity believes they DON'T exist? Majority rules.