Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Snow in an Infant Planetary System

exoplanets exocomets planetary formation tw hydrae eso

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,951 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Snow in an Infant Planetary System
A frosty landmark for planet and comet formation

www.eso.org said:

A snow line has been imaged in a far-off infant planetary system for the very first time. The snow line, located in the disc around the Sun-like star TW Hydrae, promises to tell us more about the formation of planets and comets, the factors that decide their composition, and the history of the Solar System. The results are published today in Science Express.

Astronomers using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) have taken the first ever image of the snow line in an infant planetary system. On Earth, snow lines form at high altitudes where falling temperatures turn the moisture in the air into snow. This line is clearly visible on a mountain, where the snow-capped summit ends and the rocky face begins.

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

oh wow thats very interesting thank you dwarf!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

Psychic Spy

• 1,030 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

that is... pretty remarkable, not something i'd heard of either

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postpatagonianhorsesnake, on 18 July 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

that is... pretty remarkable, not something i'd heard of either
indeed thats why im so captivated by it, i too have not herd of this before! we share a common interest now pata

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users