Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Secular Symbolism and Allegory?

symbolism religion atheism allegory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Jeanne dArc

Jeanne dArc

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hey everyone ^_^

So I'm a skeptic, but I often appropriate religious and/or magical symbolism for their allegorical value.

For instance: my avatar is a painting of mine, representing the witch goddess Hecate in triune form, with Medea as the Maiden, Circe as the Mother, and Hecate herself as the Crone (left-to-right, in that order); above her is the triple moon. She carries a torch in both hands, lighting the way at the crossroads to both the Right Hand and Left Hand paths of magic. The color scheme is green and pink, as I was reading Wicked at the time: Elphaba and Galinda are represented in the colors, and of course further represent the witchcraft, right-/left-path, women-based allegories. Wicked struck me very deeply, symbolically. :) Altogether, it represents an empowerment of women, basically, with feminist, humanist, and free will tones in there. The allegory runs very deep though, it would take forever to explain fully :lol: I'll at least explain the witchcraft thing, pointing out that the irreligious, feminist, etc., would have been branded as witches in ages past; I have a strong sympathy with the concept of the witch, though I am an atheist myself (so I don't actually go for stuff like Wicca and the Neopagan religions).

Attached File  rsz_goddess1.jpg   108.83K   12 downloads

So I guess I was kind of wondering: any opinions on secular/irreligious use of essentially religious/magical symbols, allegory, etc.? Any other skeptics who use these sorts of symbols in art, literature, etc., as allegory or something? :innocent:

Anyone who thinks it's sacreligious/sinful/hypocritical/etc.? :devil:

Discuss :rofl:

#2    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 2,498 posts

• It just goes to show
    And that's the truth,
    That no matter where you go
    there you are!........
    .............. wait! Where am I?

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

What an interesting subject. I would think here in the States, with it's secular law and the freedom of religion throug out the years, everybody in some sort of way unconsciously uses particular religious items in certain settings. Is a Native American dreamcatcher one of these items. Possibly an item used for what it's named, but decorative? Inhave a collection of lit up houses, some of them being churches, and I think they are pretty. I have my own personal New Age belief system. Mostly so when lit up. Christmas lights, lighting up a persons home, part of the Christian home holiday time, but lots uses them. Sometimes what was part of a strong belief system, has been so ingrained, becomes part of the beauty of the area.

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

#3    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Welcome aboard, Jeanne. Great topic.

Maybe the key is that the causal arrow points the other way around. The archetypal symbols are universally meaningful, part of the human endowmwnt. Religions, noticing this, incorporate those symbols into their own iconography. That is a "neo-Jungian" view of the situation, anyway.

Posted Image

#4    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,509 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

I think there is a ton actually. Just because someone  is atheist dosnt mean they are not apart of our cultures and heirs to our history. True the zealot atheists may throw out our past, but I do know those that still identify with a spiritual tradition without actually believing in it in a spiritual way. It's perfectly normal and honest in the simplest of ways.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#5    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,442 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Atheism is just the lack of belief in a God, or Gods.Have fun.

Posted Image
Three lectures...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#6    Jeanne dArc

Jeanne dArc

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

View Posteight bits, on 12 July 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

Welcome aboard, Jeanne. Great topic.

Maybe the key is that the causal arrow points the other way around. The archetypal symbols are universally meaningful, part of the human endowmwnt. Religions, noticing this, incorporate those symbols into their own iconography. That is a "neo-Jungian" view of the situation, anyway.

Very good point ^_^

Also tagged with symbolism, religion, atheism, allegory

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users