Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Theories on the Bermuda Triangle

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#46    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:28 AM

Reptilian on Dec 25 2007, 03:46 AM, said:

hmm I see.

Ok how about this?

It's the Lochness Monster working in collaboration with a flying version of Godzilla! One of them takes down ships, the other planes.

More plausible explanation for you people?

pffft, please. a flying version of godzilla?
geeze, you must be off your nut.
also, what was the purpose of that comment? i was just making a point that apparently you didnt seem aware of. and who are 'you people'?

the truth is out there....

#47    Reptilian

Reptilian

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:22 AM

lol

The profane masses have many heads and no brains.

#48    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

• The greatest sceptics are normally the biggest sheep. Anon

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

The most common thweorys ive read is that the area is highy electrical and causes instruments to malfunction threfore diseapear its a natural part of the earth there is a similar area of the coast of japan where similar dings happen. i think the name is the devils triangle. but both areas are a natural occurence.

www.tmblive.com
If you dont know what it is, it must be art.

#49    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

louie on Dec 25 2007, 11:09 AM, said:

The most common thweorys ive read is that the area is highy electrical and causes instruments to malfunction threfore diseapear its a natural part of the earth there is a similar area of the coast of japan where similar dings happen. i think the name is the devils triangle. but both areas are a natural occurence.

yeop, youre correct. except called the dragons triangle as well. alota strange things there. ghost ships, many disapearences, uso's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Sea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXZ-TJ0KSIU

think thats a vid on it too.

#50    Reptilian

Reptilian

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:13 AM

Another plausible theory is volcanic activity on the ocean floor.

I just saw this in a documentary.

I'm not sure about Bermuda, but in the Japanese case the area is located right on top of two tectonic plates that are constantly grinding against eachother.

Volcanic vents on the ocean floor can dispense large amounts of gas. Huge bubbles larger than ships. If one comes up underneath a ship it will lose buoyancy and sink.

Also, volcanoes can spew how lava up into the air for many many miles. This is no exception in the case of volcanic activity in the ocean either. At those speeds the water provides almost no resistance. Hot lava can come out of a seemingly calm ocean and travel many miles up into the air where it collides with planes and disrupts engines.

Also the noxious gasses that comes to the surface can explain the hallucinations people have had.

Edited by Reptilian, 26 December 2007 - 03:18 AM.

The profane masses have many heads and no brains.

#51    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,908 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

MyYoungBlood on Jul 27 2007, 05:19 AM, said:

THEORY1:Atlantis is at the very bottom,being guarded by The Kraken.
THEORY2:It's a base of operations for aliens and UFO'S.
THEORY3:There is a worm hole or Black hole in a certain location.

NOW SHARE YOURS!

Fact 1: Statistically, you are no more likely to disappear in the Bermuda Triangle than any other patch of the Atlantic Ocean.

#52    capeo

capeo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

• Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    Aldous Huxley, "Proper Studies", 1927

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Wookietim on Dec 26 2007, 11:07 AM, said:

Fact 1: Statistically, you are no more likely to disappear in the Bermuda Triangle than any other patch of the Atlantic Ocean.

You beat me to it.  Nothing happens in the bermuda triangle.  It's a bunch of made up stories to sell books.

"Come down off the cross, we could use the wood." - Tom Waits

#53    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

capeo on Dec 26 2007, 04:15 PM, said:

You beat me to it.  Nothing happens in the bermuda triangle.  It's a bunch of made up stories to sell books.

yes, of course. thats it
nothing happens there, ever.

#54    Lord Of The Dragons

Lord Of The Dragons

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

• Look upward, share the wonders I have seen.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

Reptilian on Dec 26 2007, 03:13 AM, said:

Another plausible theory is volcanic activity on the ocean floor.

I just saw this in a documentary.

I'm not sure about Bermuda, but in the Japanese case the area is located right on top of two tectonic plates that are constantly grinding against eachother.

Volcanic vents on the ocean floor can dispense large amounts of gas. Huge bubbles larger than ships. If one comes up underneath a ship it will lose buoyancy and sink.

Also, volcanoes can spew how lava up into the air for many many miles. This is no exception in the case of volcanic activity in the ocean either. At those speeds the water provides almost no resistance. Hot lava can come out of a seemingly calm ocean and travel many miles up into the air where it collides with planes and disrupts engines.

Also the noxious gasses that comes to the surface can explain the hallucinations people have had.

Such large eruptions would be seen by satellites and detected by various other means, no mystery involved. Therefore I don't think that would make a good explanation.

capeo on Dec 26 2007, 04:15 PM, said:

Most, if not all, legends are based on real people and/or events. Therefore something must have happened in this area for it to achieve such notoriety.

Posted Image

Cistene? I thought it was the Sixteenth Chapel. I always wondered why nobody ever mentioned the other fifteen.

Truckers never get lost, we just occasionally mis-place ourselves.

Religion is the primitives answer for why the Sun goes down at night- Brother Cavell. Battlestar Galactica

#55    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

greggK on Jul 29 2007, 03:01 AM, said:

The Bermuda Triangle used to be either the North or South Pole.

that is also my thought. If you dig a hole in the center of the Bermuda triangle area you come up in the middle of the "Chinese/Asian Triangle" of the coast of Japan. The north south pole thing would make sense as everyone always talks about polar shifts. Plus the whole magnetic "residue" could make equipment crazy lead to errors by the instruments and crew hence they disappear

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#56    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,765 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Wookietim on Dec 26 2007, 05:07 PM, said:

Theres some interesting reading here about disproportionate disappearances:

Myth:

“A check of Lloyd’s of London’s accident records by the editor of Fate in 1975 showed that the triangle was a no more dangerous part of the ocean than any other. U.S. Coast Guard records confirmed this and since that time no good arguments have ever been made to refute those statistics. So the Bermuda Triangle mystery disappeared, in the same way many of its supposed victims had vanished.”

Fact:

This is completely false. Lloyd’s does not insure the smaller stuff, so all yachts go unreported and uncataloged in statistics. Lloyd’s seldom insures the smaller charter and private aircraft, so likewise for them. Lloyd’s is not the ultimate source. It is not a marine investigation bureau. It reports on sailing news relevant to insurance.

US Coast Guard SAR (Search and Rescue) statistics for all districts are published yearly in a thick voluminous report. This details the statistics for calls of assistance, causes of accidents, weather, deaths, conditions, whatever. However, missing vessels are not readily included. In reality, the designation Overdue Vessels are more important. But because it is hard to determine the number of people on board and exactly where the vessel last was, “missing” or “overdue” cannot be easily calculated. They may be catagorized under “caused by other factor” if at all. I have just received a list of vessels from the 7th district after 12 years of asking for and being denied missing vessel statistics, always receiving the reply “nobody tracks such statistics.” For the last 2 fiscal years this includes about 300 vessel names or types. And now I must start my search, to see which reported back to port (if any), what the weather conditions were like, etc.
The Coast Guard is not even capable of accurately determining the numbers, and therefore could never have conducted a study. What they probably did was comment on the popular notion that 20 aircraft and 50 ships are missing. That number was bandied about incessantly in the 1970s and is still in the Encyclopedia Britannica. This number is not extraordinary for 100 years, though it is more aircraft than elsewhere over seas.
NTSB database searches reveal that in the last decade only a handful of aircraft disappearances have occurred off New England while over 30 have happened in the Triangle. These are American statistics only, and do not reflect other nationalities.
Then there are those who claim the disparity is due to the Triangle’s greater amount of traffic. In reality, the 1st Coast Guard district answers about just as many calls for assistance as the 7th, but the number of disappearances is still remarkably different.

http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/myths___facts.html

#57    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,765 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

Orcseeker on Dec 21 2007, 04:26 AM, said:

The methane bubbles could be true.

Theres some interesting reading here about the methane bubbles explanation:

In the early 1980s, geologist Richard McIver published an article in the AAPG Explorer suggesting that methane hydrates — a crystalline solid of methane gas and water, similar to ice (see sidebar) — on the ocean floor could break apart and release giant methane gas bubbles that could cause ships or airplanes to sink or explode. The article was sort of tongue-in-cheek, Dillon says, but the explanation for the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle struck a chord and quickly propagated through the media. And because most geologists might go so far as to say it is conceivable, Dillon says, the explanation has stuck around, despite some inherent flaws.

Methane hydrate is located in great volume all over the world, mostly on continental margins in the ocean or in permafrost in the Arctic, in places where the cold sea or land temperatures and extensive pressures hold them stable. Mapping has shown vast hydrate deposits off the East Coast of the United States from New Jersey to Georgia, although few, if any, in the actual area of the Bermuda Triangle, Dillon says.

The hydrate hypothesis for the Bermuda Triangle is that some trigger, such as an undersea landslide, would cause hydrate deposits to break apart and release a tremendous gas bubble. That “burp” would reduce the density of water and, when it hit the sea surface under a ship, would cause the buoyancy of the ship to decrease and thus sink, says Bruce Denardo, a physicist with the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif. With airplanes, possibilities include that as the methane gas cloud rises through the air, the heat from the engines of an airplane flying through it would cause the cloud to ignite and thus incinerate the plane, or that the methane would replace enough oxygen in the air to cause the engines to quit.

“The sinking of ships by turning the ocean to froth is certainly physically possible,” Dillon says. But that possibility does not speak to chance or probability, says Bill Durham, a geophysicist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., who believes that the methane hydrates explanation is “as good as any other” but wouldn’t bet on it. “The thing is, when geologists say something is plausible, they’re talking about on the geologic time scale,” he says.

And indeed, submarine landslides have released large methane clouds in the past — about 13,000 years ago, says Debbie Hutchinson, a geologist at USGS in Woods Hole. Back then, sea level was much lower than it is now, which lowered the pressure on hydrate deposits and may have allowed them to melt and release gas. The high pressure exerted on the deposits in the last several thousand years from rising sea levels acts to stabilize them.

“While hypothetically I think bubbles could release and cause boats to sink, the likelihood is so remote that it just can’t explain” the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle, Hutchinson says. To sink a ship, it would have to be floating at just the right spot at just the right time. Furthermore, she says, as remote a possibility as it is that one boat would encounter a bubble and sink, the probability is even lower that such a phenomenon could cause more than one disappearance.

Another problem with the methane hydrate explanation, Durham says, is that methane gas released from a trap below the hydrate deposits would likely dissolve in the ocean water before reaching the surface. And, Dillon adds, if disturbed enough to break apart, the deposits themselves would likely float to the surface and then very slowly release gas, not in an explosive bubble.

Beyond the geology issues, there are also physics issues, says Denardo, who says as “an educated member of the public,” he just doesn’t see enough evidence to believe in the Bermuda Triangle’s deadly mystery. He has performed tests on floating objects to determine the amount of bubbles needed to sink a ship. Fluid dynamics is enormously complicated, he says, and sinking a ship by reducing the buoyancy requires a vast amount of bubbles, especially because the bubbles may additionally cause an upward force on the ship, making it more difficult to sink. “The ocean is much more complicated than our laboratory experiments,” Denardo says.

http://www.geotimes.org/nov04/geophen.html

#58    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,765 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

Torchwood on Jul 27 2007, 11:58 AM, said:

The bermuda triangle is very much like the rest of the wet bits of planet earth.

Theres been some extremely strange reports coming from around the island of Puerto Rico:

linked-image

Flight N3808H Pilot transcript-
Last words:

"Mayday, Mayday, Ercoupe ocho cero, eight zero, zero, Hotel. We can see a strange object in our course, we are lost, Mayday, Mayday."
An Iberia Airlines flight IB-976 en route from Santo Domingo to Spain responded to the Mayday and received a reply:

"Ah we are going from Santo Domingo to ah San Juan International but we found ah a weird object in our course that made us change course about three different times we got it right in front of us now at one o’clock, our heading is zero seven zero degrees…our altitude one thousand six hundred a zero seven zero degrees our VORs got lost off frequency"

Iberia Flight IB-976 then relayed a message from San Juan Center asking N3808H to turn on their transponder.
N3808H replied that the Ercoupe was not equipped with a transponder. At 2006 Iberia IB-976 asked for their call sing and estimated position and received this reply:

"Right now we are supposed to be a about thirty five miles from the coast of Puerto Rico but we have something weird in front of us that make us lose course all the time I changed our course a second (unintelligible) our present heading right now is three hundred we are right again in the same stuff sir."

Recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ghNPf267I

Theres also been some very peculiar underwater reports from the area:

Puerto Rico:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...=148197&hl=

USOs:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...=145983&hl=

#59    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

There is nothing unusual about region at all. There are lots of lights, ferries and ships and small boats in the area. It is simply creating a mystery where there is not one.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#60    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

karl 12 on Jun 7 2009, 11:00 AM, said:

Theres some interesting reading here about disproportionate disappearances:

So, are you aware of any insurance agencies that charge a premium for air or water craft that routinely pass through the triangle?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users