Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Jesus the Messiah?

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#1    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

The Genealogy of Jesus.
I was studying my Bible, and I came across some things in the Bible (the NT) pertaining to the Messiah-ship of Christ based on his genealogy. According to his genealogy, Jesus cannot be the Messiah. I am confused about this.

What do we say about this? The Bible says (based on genealogies) that Jesus is not the Messiah.

1. Luke's version-Jesus descended from Nathan but the Messiah MUST descend from Solomon (1 Chronicles 28:6-7), therefore according to Luke's genealogy Jesus cannot be the Messiah.

2. Matthew's version-Jesus descends from Jeconiah who is cursed to be childless (Jeremiah 22:28-30).

So based on Luke's Genealogy according to the Bible if Jesus descended from Nathan (Son of David) than he CANNOT be the Messiah. Based on Luke's genealogy if Jesus came from Jeconiah-- no wait, he can't come from Jechoniah because God cursed Jeconiah to be childless.

Now I am confused about the Messiah....

I think of this, and feel like a liar. Here on UM I have been spreading the words of Christ. However, according to the Bible I have lied....I am now confused. Yes, I follow God, but this post caused me to wonder about Christ. Because after that post I was forced to re-evaluate my relationship with God. I have come to realize that in my speaking with God Christ has not been mentioned. God and I have spoken many times before about Salvation, and he talks of himself. He says nothing to me of Jesus. Now I am beginning to feel that I have been a victim of tradition and indoctrination, that in order to remain friendly with those Christian who are my friends I have input Christ into my experiences, only to find that I have tricked myself. That this Christ has had nothing to do with my experiences. Yes, I have absolutely definitely experienced God. I KNOW that I have experienced God. But have I experienced Christ? Not directly. Now am I forced to re-evaluate and wonder.

#2    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,558 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

Maybe that's because 1 Chronicles 28:6-7 isn't talking about the Messiah.

It look's to me as if it's directly talking about Solomon. If you keep reading, into Chronicles 29, you'll see that David then hands over the position of King to Solomon. It's not a prophecy. It's a declaration that God has chosen Solomon to rule.

Edited by Tiggs, 03 August 2007 - 07:55 PM.
added Chronicles 29 info.

#3    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

Maybe that's because 1 Chronicles 28:6-7 isn't talking about the Messiah.

It look's to me as if it's directly talking about Solomon.

It's talking of the lineage of David being eternally preserved which is known as which lineage the Messiah will come from. The Messiah is prophesied to be the King of Israel who preserves David's line, and therefore would have to come from Solomon because only Solomon was promised an eternal reign through his descendants (like his father David.)

Edited by Knight of Zion (COI), 03 August 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#4    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,558 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

28:7 Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.

I've highlighted the important word.

Besides - Mary's bloodline descends directly from David, doesn't it?

#5    Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

28:7 Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.

No where in the NT does it say that Mary descended directly from David...in fact the Jewish linage is patriarchial and the female line is superfulous and of no importance in determining direct linage.

A man is accepted into church for what he believes--and turned out for what he knows.
-- Mark Twain

#6    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

But he has been, and no Mary's bloodline is NOT recorded,lineage is recorded through the Father and according to Matt and Luke the genealogy mentioned is Joseph's, yet Joseph was not the Father of Jesus.

No where in the NT does it say that Mary descended directly from David...in fact the Jewish linage is patriarchial and the female line is superfulous and of no importance in determining direct linage.

thumbsup.gif

#7    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

And where else, anywhere is the lineage of the mother cited to legitimize any of the biblical characters?

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#8    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

And where else, anywhere is the lineage of the mother cited to legitimize any of the biblical characters?

Exactly.

#9    moonlit12

moonlit12

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

• If you would just agree with me we would have no argument.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

The Genealogy of Jesus.
I was studying my Bible, and I came across some things in the Bible (the NT) pertaining to the Messiah-ship of Christ based on his genealogy. According to his genealogy, Jesus cannot be the Messiah. I am confused about this.
What do we say about this? The Bible says (based on genealogies) that Jesus is not the Messiah.
1. Luke's version-Jesus descended from Nathan but the Messiah MUST descend from Solomon (1 Chronicles 28:6-7), therefore according to Luke's genealogy Jesus cannot be the Messiah.

2. Matthew's version-Jesus descends from Jeconiah who is cursed to be childless (Jeremiah 22:28-30).

So based on Luke's Genealogy according to the Bible if Jesus descended from Nathan (Son of David) than he CANNOT be the Messiah. Based on Luke's genealogy if Jesus came from Jeconiah-- no wait, he can't come from Jechoniah because God cursed Jeconiah to be childless.

I think of this, and feel like a liar. Here on UM I have been spreading the words of Christ. However, according to the Bible I have lied....I am now confused. Yes, I follow God, but this post caused me to wonder about Christ. Because after that post I was forced to re-evaluate my relationship with God. I have come to realize that in my speaking with God Christ has not been mentioned. God and I have spoken many times before about Salvation, and he talks of himself. He says nothing to me of Jesus. Now I am beginning to feel that I have been a victim of tradition and indoctrination, that in order to remain friendly with those Christian who are my friends I have input Christ into my experiences, only to find that I have tricked myself. That this Christ has had nothing to do with my experiences. Yes, I have absolutely definitely experienced God. I KNOW that I have experienced God. But have I experienced Christ? Not directly. Now am I forced to re-evaluate and wonder.

Take heart my friend, you have not been mistaken.  There are 2 geneologies for Jesus - Mary's and Joseph's.  In Matthew, Joseph's lineage in given, in Luke, Mary's.
Matthew's geneology descends from Abraham, Joseph to Jesus because all the Messiah promises are fulfilled in Him.  In Luke, the geneology ascends from Jesus to Adam so the relation from the first to the second Adam is established.  In Matthew, Joseph is shown to be strictly descended from the royal line of David which makes sense because although Jesus was not a blood relative of Joseph, in the eyes of the law He was Joseph's son and therefore of David's royal line.  For the blood relation to David spoken about in prophecy, Luke shows us that Mary is also a descendent of David although not through the royal line.  
As for the "difficulty" of Jeconiah, it was through Joseph's lineage that Jeconiah came and because Jesus was not a blood descendent of Joseph the prophecy was strictly fulfilled in that if He had been Joseph's natural son, He could not have come to the throne, but becuz He was Mary's natural son, He could inherit the throne through her marriage to Joseph becuz of her relation to Nathan.  So these "difficulties" only confirm the accuracy of the scriptures.
The 1Chron. reference was strictly speaking of Solomon's rule of the nation in life which should not have been becuz he was not first in line.  However, God chose him over David's other sons.  This did not refer to the coming Messiah.  Some of the scriptures which speak to the Messiah descending from David are 2 Samuel 7:12-19, Psalms 89:3-4, 34-37; 132:11, Acts 2:30; 13:22-23, Romans 1:3; and 2 Timothy 2:8. These were fulfilled through Mary.

Be encouraged!

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in everything

#10    Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower

Alien Abducter

• 4,480 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

The Genealogy of Jesus.

Hiya CoI:)

Question for you, what do you think Christ is?

I am not taking the mickey, I am curious as to what you consider Christ is original.gif

Edited by Lotus Flower, 03 August 2007 - 08:28 PM.

One crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name
Thomas Osbert Mordaunt

The only time you fail is when you haven't tried in the first place!

#11    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Matthew's is one parents genealogy line and Luke's is the other'. I want to say from memory - Matt's is Joseph's and Luke's Mary's - thus showing that no matter how you look at it - Jesus did decend from David.

#12    moonlit12

moonlit12

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

But he has been, and no Mary's bloodline is NOT recorded,lineage is recorded through the Father and according to Matt and Luke the genealogy mentioned is Joseph's, yet Joseph was not the Father of Jesus.
thumbsup.gif

Mary's is recorded in Luke 3:23.  Joseph is listed as Heli's son because Mary, Heli's daughter, was a woman and males alone were listed in the line.  Joseph was Heli's son-in-law therefore making him a son of Heli by marriage.  Joesph's blood father was Jacob listed in Matthew 1:16.

#13    dlv

dlv

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

I think of this, and feel like a liar.

This topic has been argued before, but in the end, Jesus Christ is God, not just a mere messiah, which is a saviour of the Jewish people from their enemies... Perhaps over zealous, early Christians wanted to tie in Jesus with this messiah concept to gain more followers -- who knows??? You know the old saying: "If you want it bad enough..." Thank God I'm a 21st century Christian... I'm sure if you ask seanph kindly, he'll give you enough articles to convice you why Jesus Christ is not a mere messiah for the Jewish people. Besides, they are always a good read, and logical. And regardless, Jesus Christ is God, at least to me, with or without the NT.

#14    Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

You folk know nothing about Jewish customs...Temple Judaism was a patriarchial society, women counted for nothing, the mere chattle of the male.  No one anywhere in the OT or NT recorded the linage of a mere woman.  Luke and Matthew disagree because they were both making it up...they also disagree about when Jesus was born...they are 11 years apart!  So why should they get anything right!

A man is accepted into church for what he believes--and turned out for what he knows.
-- Mark Twain

#15    moonlit12

moonlit12

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

You folk know nothing about Jewish customs...Temple Judaism was a patriarchial society, women counted for nothing, the mere chattle of the male.  No one anywhere in the OT or NT recorded the linage of a mere woman.  Luke and Matthew disagree because they were both making it up...they also disagree about when Jesus was born...they are 11 years apart!  So why should they get anything right!

Rude and inaccurate - this thread is an honest search for answers... if you have nothing to add please don't insult the rest of us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users