Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Physicists 'solve' mystery of levitation

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

user posted image rLevitation has been elevated from being pure science fiction to science fact, according to a study reported today by physicists. In earlier work the same team of theoretical physicists showed that invisibility cloaks are feasible. Now, in another report that sounds like it comes out of the pages of a Harry Potter book, the University of St Andrews team has created an 'incredible levitation effects’ by engineering the force of nature which normally causes objects to stick together.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Telegraph

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

an invisible dream

• 2,958 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hover boards, hover cars, hover cafe's ! The future is here. Finally. It's not just in movies or books anymore  ohmy.gif

#3    Star_girl

Star_girl

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

• I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. Og Mandino

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

I wonder how many decades it will take to eventually get the the level where we can have hover crafts! That would really be cool!

Posted Image
Sig by The Scorpion

#4    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

Flying saucers.....

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#5    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

...Weather balloons.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#6    Ghø§t

Ghø§t

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

• Be my slave. Convert to Christianity! :)

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

...cool grin2.gif

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean.” - Bob Marley.

#7    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,705 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

We are now one step close to make hover boots with little rockets boosters people!  grin2.gif

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#8    Since804

Since804

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

Why wont the government just admit they have alien technology that they are reverse engineering instead of this "OMG WE DISCOVERED SOMETHING NEW COMPLETELY OUT OF NOWHERE WITH NO SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY INVOLVED!" stuff....

UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object. Is it that hard to understand??
"I don't know what it was but I don't think that it was a ufo..." = Fail Statement

#9    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Why wont the government just admit they have alien technology that they are reverse engineering instead of this "OMG WE DISCOVERED SOMETHING NEW COMPLETELY OUT OF NOWHERE WITH NO SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY INVOLVED!" stuff....

Why can't won't you conspiracy theorists just present some actual evidence?

#10    TeraLink

TeraLink

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

• Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up & kills! The people it kills get up & kill!

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:31 PM

...Weather balloons.

happy.gif Finally! I wants me some hovering weather balloons & swamp gas. Of course, the hoverboards, as well.

TeraLink Was Here!

Music's the only thing that makes sense anymore. Play it loud enough, it keeps the demons at bay.

#11    telirium

telirium

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

is levitation another name for anti-gravity or im i just totally not getting it? huh.gif

a child's rhyme stuck in my head...

#12    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

is levitation another name for anti-gravity or im i just totally not getting it? huh.gif

No. There are thousands of things which oppose gravity (planes, balloons, even just jumping in the air), but for something to be anti-gravitational it would have to manipulate the force of gravity, causing it to repel rather than to attract.

#13    Harriet The Ripperologist

Harriet The Ripperologist

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

• What is sacred? Of what is the soul made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer is love, only love.....

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

The future is here. Finally. It's not just in movies or books anymore  ohmy.gif

So it would seem, so it would seem.

Posted Image
And he began to have it in mind, as so many gentlemen had done before him, to marry a woman of fortune and condition. And, as such things so often happen, these thoughts closely coincided with his setting first sight upon a lady who will henceforth play a considerable part in the drama of his life....

#14    robwiljr

robwiljr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

do anyone know how this they did it?

#15    outlooker

outlooker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

linked-imageLevitation has been elevated from being pure science fiction to science fact, according to a study reported today by physicists. In earlier work the same team of theoretical physicists showed that invisibility cloaks are feasible. Now, in another report that sounds like it comes out of the pages of a Harry Potter book, the University of St Andrews team has created an 'incredible levitation effects’ by engineering the force of nature which normally causes objects to stick together. Professor Ulf Leonhardt and Dr Thomas Philbin, from the University of St Andrews in Scotland, have worked out a way of reversing this pheneomenon, known as the Casimir force, so that it repels instead of attracts. Their discovery could ultimately lead to frictionless micro-machines with moving parts that levitate But they say that, in principle at least, the same effect could be used to levitate bigger objects too, even a person.The Casimir force is a consequence of quantum mechanics, the theory that describes the world of atoms and subatomic particles that is not only the most successful theory of physics but also the most baffling.

The force is due to neither electrical charge or gravity, for example, but the fluctuations in all-pervasive energy fields in the intervening empty space between the objects and is one reason atoms stick together, also explaining a “dry glue” effect that enables a gecko to walk across a ceiling. Now, using a special lens of a kind that has already been built, Prof Ulf Leonhardt and Dr Thomas Philbin report in the New Journal of Physics they can engineer the Casimir force to repel, rather than attact. Because the Casimir force causes problems for nanotechnologists, who are trying to build electrical circuits and tiny mechanical devices on silicon chips, among other things, the team believes the feat could initially be used to stop tiny objects from sticking to each other. Prof Leonhardt explained, “The Casimir force is the ultimate cause of friction in the nano-world, in particular in some microelectromechanical systems.

linked-image View: Full Article | Source: Telegraph

It looks very familiar...like the levitron toy that has been around for a lot of years...
this thing: http://www.levitron.com/
the toy actually works by using opposing magnetic fields to levitate the spinning top...and it has to spin to work.
http://www.levitron.com/images/levitron.mpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users