Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study finds twist in human evolution

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,730 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

WASHINGTON - Surprising fossils dug up in Africa are creating messy kinks in the iconic straight line of human evolution with its knuckle-dragging ape and briefcase-carrying man.

ADVERTISEMENT

The new research by famed paleontologist Meave Leakey in Kenya shows our family tree is more like a wayward bush with stubby branches, calling into question the evolution of our ancestors.

The old theory was that the first and oldest species in our family tree, Homo habilis, evolved into Homo erectus, which then became us, Homo sapiens. But those two earlier species lived side-by-side about 1.5 million years ago in parts of Kenya for at least half a million years, Leakey and colleagues report in a paper published in Thursday's journal Nature.

In 2000 Leakey found an old Homo erectus complete skull within walking distance of an upper jaw of the Homo habilis, and both dated from the same general time period. That makes it unlikely that one evolved from the other, researchers said.

It's the equivalent of finding that your grandmother and great-grandmother were sisters rather than mother-daughter, said study co-author Fred Spoor, a professor of evolutionary anatomy at the University College in London.

The two species lived near each other, but probably didn't interact with each other, each having their own "ecological niche," Spoor said. Homo habilis was likely more vegetarian and Homo erectus ate some meat, he said. Like chimps and apes, "they'd just avoid each other, they don't feel comfortable in each other's company," he said.

They have some still-undiscovered common ancestor that probably lived 2 million to 3 million years ago, a time that has not left much fossil record, Spoor said.
STUDY

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,258 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

Nice find, but it is verosimil that two, or more, species of humanoids co-existed occupying different ecological niches. Evolution is not about advancing, about better or about upper and lower. It is about survival. Whatever it takes will be done by the species that want to survive.

Sometimes the evolution even goes backwards, like the Flores Man has proven.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Shaftsbury

Shaftsbury

Transitional Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

Surprising fossils dug up in Africa are creating messy kinks in the iconic straight line of human evolution

I think it's rather simplistic to think of any evolutionary path as a straight line.

The fossil evidence has been telling us a more complicated story all along, but we seem to have been stuck with this simple model for human evolution. Nice to see that the science is moving forward in this area. original.gif

"He hath need of his wits who wanders wide,
aught simple will serve at home;
but a gazing-stock is the fool who sits
mid the wise, and nothing knows."

from the Elder or Poetic Edda

The Isles of Aledeon - Roleplay World

#4    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,789 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

I read the whole article and used it in another post to demonstate how a single fossil find at any time can change the whole evolutionary ladder. I am sick of hearing "well, they would have found fossils by now.." "we know by the fossil record..."
The fossil record is incomplete and the whole human evolutionary chain is up for grabs. I think it's only a matter of time before something BIG is found that really challenges what we think we know.

"The agony and the irony, they're killing me"
Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger

#5    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,332 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

The idea that this find 'proves' erectus didn't evolve from habilis is a good example of the way so many people totally misunderstand evolution.

In this case, what may have happened is that a group of habilis found themselves living in an area where environmental changes of some kind prompted evolutionary changes.  This resulted in this group of habilis evolving into erectus.

However, elsewhere, another group of habilis did not encounter such environmental changes and had no need to evolve to deal with them.  So they stayed as habilis.

Thus, erectus evolved from habilis and later co-existed with habilis as well.

Simple original.gif

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#6    Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

The idea that this find 'proves' erectus didn't evolve from habilis is a good example of the way so many people totally misunderstand evolution.

In this case, what may have happened is that a group of habilis found themselves living in an area where environmental changes of some kind prompted evolutionary changes.  This resulted in this group of habilis evolving into erectus.

However, elsewhere, another group of habilis did not encounter such environmental changes and had no need to evolve to deal with them.  So they stayed as habilis.

Simple original.gif

Well I would imagine the professional scientists would be aware of this. I read this from another article which was larger, and mentioned that the question of habilis evolving to erectus has been under question for some years. So this isn't first evidence. Also they mention the skulls were found within walking distance of each other, probably adding evidence that they didn't undergo significantly different evolutionary pressures.

In case you want to see the other article . The core of it's the same.

"Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;"

#7    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,789 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

Simple original.gif

OK sure, but I think I'd believe Meave Leakey on this one....
"Their co-existence makes it unlikely that Homo erectus evolved from Homo habilis," explains Meave Leakey, one of the lead authors of the paper. Instead, both species must have had their origins between 2 and 3 million years ago, a time from which few human fossils are known. "The fact that they stayed separate as individual species for a long time suggests that they had their own ecological niche, thus avoiding direct competition." http://www.geneticarchaeology.com/Research...n_Evolution.asp

....considering if I can't believe a Leakey on fossil knowledge I can't believe anyone.

"The agony and the irony, they're killing me"
Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,258 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

OK sure, but I think I'd believe Meave Leakey on this one....
"Their co-existence makes it unlikely that Homo erectus evolved from Homo habilis," explains Meave Leakey, one of the lead authors of the paper. Instead, both species must have had their origins between 2 and 3 million years ago, a time from which few human fossils are known. "The fact that they stayed separate as individual species for a long time suggests that they had their own ecological niche, thus avoiding direct competition." http://www.geneticarchaeology.com/Research...n_Evolution.asp

....considering if I can't believe a Leakey on fossil knowledge I can't believe anyone.

And we have to agree there. The aim of evolution was not to create Homo Sapiens but to create surviving species. We are a by-product of survival. And we are at the top of the food chain (now) because we adapted best to changes.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    swtp

swtp

Alien Abducter

• 4,702 posts

• It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

We only have a hand full of pieces to a puzzle with billions of pieces! I think it,s going to be a very long time if ever that we can prove without any doubt what the whole picture and the truth really is! But i do enjoy wondering about it all! yes.gif

#10    Jiatao

Jiatao

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

And we have to agree there. The aim of evolution was not to create Homo Sapiens but to create surviving species. We are a by-product of survival. And we are at the top of the food chain (now) because we adapted best to changes.

Exactly what I was thinking!

#11    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,745 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

Simple original.gif

One theory states that some Halibis left Africa and evolved into Erectus in Asia. Then returned to Africa. That could of been the very enviromental change you mentioned. There were less edible plants in Asia and meat eating brought about the evolutionary change. Just a thought.

Lapiche

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#12    dest_titor1

dest_titor1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

• Are you in Plato`s cave, or are you on the surface?
    (Plato`s cave allegory)

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

Evolution of the humans their must have been several variations to adapt to many differing areas then the died and the most adaptable survived.

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings

Socrates

Silence is the virtue of fools.

Sir Francis Bacon

The glass is never half full or half empty, the glass is just twice as tall as it should be!

Religion is a great tool for the smart and poor and hopeless, but a weapon in the hands of the ignorant and moronic and violent persons.

Religion does not start wars... Idiots that contrive and twist it to their own plot do.

#13    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

Well I would imagine the professional scientists would be aware of this. I read this from another article which was larger, and mentioned that the question of habilis evolving to erectus has been under question for some years. So this isn't first evidence. Also they mention the skulls were found within walking distance of each other, probably adding evidence that they didn't undergo significantly different evolutionary pressures.

In case you want to see the other article . The core of it's the same.

I don't think scientists aren't aware of this, Every anthropologist or biologist I have ever talked to certainly is. It has been known for a long time that human evolution was not linear. The media latched onto to the idea of "from ape right to man", the classical

linked-image.

The media is an institution of their own rules, they do not abide by current scientific opinion, they spread what gets them the most attention. They are a bad forum to get your science from. I wish I had a quick fix for the system, but I do not. I do know though, that the media needs to be more responsible when relaying information between science and public.

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#14    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

This kind of idea has been around for years.

linked-image

I guess it does not seem as interesting to people as the picture I posted above.

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#15    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,870 posts

• ďIf you canít explain it simply, you donít understand it well enough.Ē ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

Nice find, but it is verosimil that two, or more, species of humanoids co-existed occupying different ecological niches. Evolution is not about advancing, about better or about upper and lower. It is about survival. Whatever it takes will be done by the species that want to survive.

Sometimes the evolution even goes backwards, like the Flores Man has proven.

It's interesting how when you start out with a conclusion firmly grasped, no matter what data you find, no matter how obtuse your logic has to be, the data will fit the conclusion.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users