Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant statue of Roman Emperor unearthed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:49 AM

August 9
Parts of a huge, exquisitely carved statue of the Roman Emperor Hadrian have been found at an archaeological site in south-central Turkey.

Ruling Rome from AD117 to AD138; he was known as a great military administrator and is one of the so-called "five good emperors".

So far, the excavators have unearthed the head, foot and part of a leg. Other parts of the statue to be uncovered in coming weeks.

The foot is 80cm (31.5 ins) long, the leg - from just above the knee to the ankle - is nearly 70m (27ins) long. The head, which is almost intact save for its broken nose, also measures 70cm (27 ins).

The pieces of this giant monument to Hadrian were found about 5m below ground, among the buried ruins of a bath house on the site Sagalassos, an ancient mountaintop town in southern Turkey.

Born in AD76 into a well-to-do family in Italica, near modern Seville, Spain, Hadrian presided over a period of relative peace and prosperity in the Roman Empire. He erected permanent fortifications along the empire's borders in order to consolidate Roman power.

The northernmost extent of this frontier is still standing: Hadrian's Wall runs across the width of northern Britain, from Wallsend to the Solway Firth. It was built to repel attacks by Caledonian tribes.

The bath house in which the statue was found was destroyed by a major earthquake sometime between the late sixth and early seventh centuries AD.
go

#2    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

August 9
Parts of a huge, exquisitely carved statue of the Roman Emperor Hadrian have been found at an archaeological site in south-central Turkey.

Ruling Rome from AD117 to AD138; he was known as a great military administrator and is one of the so-called "five good emperors".

So far, the excavators have unearthed the head, foot and part of a leg. Other parts of the statue to be uncovered in coming weeks.

The foot is 80cm (31.5 ins) long, the leg - from just above the knee to the ankle - is nearly 70m (27ins) long. The head, which is almost intact save for its broken nose, also measures 70cm (27 ins).

The pieces of this giant monument to Hadrian were found about 5m below ground, among the buried ruins of a bath house on the site Sagalassos, an ancient mountaintop town in southern Turkey.

Born in AD76 into a well-to-do family in Italica, near modern Seville, Spain, Hadrian presided over a period of relative peace and prosperity in the Roman Empire. He erected permanent fortifications along the empire's borders in order to consolidate Roman power.

The northernmost extent of this frontier is still standing: Hadrian's Wall runs across the width of northern Britain, from Wallsend to the Solway Firth. It was built to repel attacks by Caledonian tribes.

The bath house in which the statue was found was destroyed by a major earthquake sometime between the late sixth and early seventh centuries AD.
go

That is so cool!

Edited by glorybebe, 10 August 2007 - 02:55 AM.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#3    swtp

swtp

Alien Abducter

• 4,702 posts

• It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:22 AM

That is an amazing find! And the damage to the nose is only a chip really, i can,t wait to see the whole statue!

#4    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

I pass the wall every day on my way to work in Newcastle (yes the wall is in central Newcastle too). I have no idea how they keep it safe from drunks and kids, but they do... original.gif

Great find..... Excellent year for archaeologists this one original.gif

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

I pass the wall every day on my way to work in Newcastle (yes the wall is in central Newcastle too). I have no idea how they keep it safe from drunks and kids, but they do... original.gif

Great find..... Excellent year for archaeologists this one original.gif

So, you going to get us some pics? LOL

#6    Themis

Themis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

linked-image

This is the bit of Hadrians Wall thats above the Lake District (Cumbria)

Myself and a friend were at Castle Rigg Stone Circle and saw it on the map and couldn't resist!!!

Stand up and be counted. Sit down and be applauded. But don't, whatever you do, lie down and let someone walk all over you :)

Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

CLICK HERE TO follow me to the Paranormal Border's

#7    Regency

Regency

Poltergeist

• 2,854 posts

• I come fully equipped with a papoose. If you need to move me around I slot in the back like a peanut.

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

I saw this yesterday, the statue is really detailed and impressive.  Click on the link and go to the photo link to take a look.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6939024.stm

Reg

#8    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

So, you going to get us some pics? LOL

Should be fine...... How do I upload though?

blush.gif

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9    JAKERZ666

JAKERZ666

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

• White And Nerdy

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Imageshack.us then get direct link the just put

Also very amazing

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

Should be fine...... How do I upload though?

blush.gif

I had to start a gallery of my pictures and then you can put a link.

#11    Regency

Regency

Poltergeist

• 2,854 posts

• I come fully equipped with a papoose. If you need to move me around I slot in the back like a peanut.

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

Click on the above link, there's about 4 photos of it.  The one of his sandal is really detailed.

#12    EmpressStarXVII

EmpressStarXVII

Government Agent

• 3,705 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

Click on the above link, there's about 4 photos of it.  The one of his sandal is really detailed.

That is so awesome!

Posted Image

#13    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

Man, I hope they find enough of good old Hadrian to put him back together again.

That truly is an AMAZING work of art. It's rare to find statuary that detailed from that time period.

Most excellent!

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users