Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Intact Etruscan tomb discovered

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

August 14
Rome, Italy - Archaeologists have discovered a more than 2,000-year-old Etruscan tomb perfectly preserved in the hills of Tuscany with a treasure trove of artifacts inside, including urns that hold the remains of about 30 people.

The tomb, in the Tuscan town of Civitella Paganico, probably dates from between the 1st and 3rd centuries B.C., when Etruscan power was in decline, said Andrea Marcocci, who led digging at the site.

It's quite rare to find a tomb intact like this, he had suspected one might exist in the area after work on a nearby road scattered with pieces of artifacts.

Inside the tomb, a narrow corridor led to a small burial chamber, about 2 meters long and 1.79 meters wide, he said. It housed about 80 objects including vases and mirrors in bronze and ceramic. Urns holding human remains were also found.

"It's quite exceptional to find so many objects in a tomb so small," Marcocci said. "Some of the vases (urns) were fairly small, so we think they were probably for children."

One of Italy's first and most mysterious civilizations, the Etruscans lived north of Rome in present day regions of Tuscany and Umbria. Their civilization lasted for about 1,000 years, reaching its height roughly from the 7th to the 6th century B.C., before its cities were replaced by Roman settlements.
go

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,606 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I wonder how the art scavengers missed that one.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,749 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

A really fascinating find....

#4    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,254 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Most excellent! I can wait until we start hearing more about what's in this tomb. The Etruscans were so interesting... unfortunately, I don't think they had much of a written language, or at least not in the way the Egyptians and Greeks did--so they probably won't find anything written down, but those tombs were often lavishly painted and decorated with frescos and pictures.

Cool. I'm happy to know there's still a lot to discover in Italy.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#5    swtp

swtp

Alien Abducter

• 4,702 posts

• It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

The archeologists are sure having a good run of things lately! I can,t wait to hear and see all about these new finds as they get them sorted and begin presenting them to the public! I hope there good luck doesn,t run dry anytime soon!

#6    Themis

Themis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

I wrote a paper on the Etruscan treatment of women last term for college - they are a fascinating culture.

I will be interested to see the paintings in the tomb - towards the end of their civilisation they became increasingly 'dark'.  There did have writing, however not much of it was preserved.

Its an amazing find... I wish I was there working on it... I love the Etruscans

Stand up and be counted. Sit down and be applauded. But don't, whatever you do, lie down and let someone walk all over you :)

Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

CLICK HERE TO follow me to the Paranormal Border's

#7    Mad Manfred

Mad Manfred

Cutesy Wootsy

• 4,505 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:49 AM

Umm...if it's 2,000 years old...wouldn't it be a Roman tomb?

#8    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,254 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

Umm...if it's 2,000 years old...wouldn't it be a Roman tomb?

Mmmm, the last Etruscan kings of Rome would have been about 2400 years ago... but the Etruscan people and customs lived well beyond that.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#9    Themis

Themis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

The Etruscans were a seperate culture that existed at the same time as the Romans in what is now known as Italy...

Stand up and be counted. Sit down and be applauded. But don't, whatever you do, lie down and let someone walk all over you :)

Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

CLICK HERE TO follow me to the Paranormal Border's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users