Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Our real size in the Universe

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:10 PM

I like these kinds of videos. They really get your mind working. It's actually kind of creepy to see these, and then wonder how many other planets could sustain life. Then thinking of how long those civilizations have been around, how advanced are they? What do they look like? Are they like us? If we ever somehow found each other, what would happen? That's the terrifying question for me. I've seen too many movies where aliens try to take over and kill us. dontgetit.gif It's pretty cool to think about the future too. Could we someday live on one of these other planets?

Of course, there's no proof that there is life out there, but it's such an interesting thing to think about.

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.
Posted Image
That ain't no vampire.

#17    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:58 AM

The conclusion to the 2nd video was ridiculous.  "There are so many mysteries that prove the existence of God."  I'm sick of this argument that if we don't understand it, then it must be God, and I'm one who actually believes to some degree in God.  Whatever your beliefs, it's an entirely fallacious statement.

Edit:  Typos!  angry.gif

Yeah, it was brill until it went to the religion. If I'm not mistaken, the video was about the vastness of the 'Verse. Not a biblical lesson laugh.gif

Apart from that, the video's were amazing.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#18    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:18 AM

For all we know, this is the only planet where everything was right for life to arise. I know its unlikely but it IS possible. But in truth, we only know about carbon based life forms, we have no idea what else could be out there.
Woah so hostile. I love the idea that there is, somewhere in this galaxy, an intelligent looking at our humble Sun and asking the same question we ask. But you have to remember that wishful thinking doesnt make it true. I think it was Carl Sagan who said that intelligent life on earth was this great thing that might never have appeared before in the universe, and after we're gone it might never appear again.

As for the universe being infinite, the evidence is strongly against that.
I'm not hostile. I just think it's very arrogant to sit back and say there's no possible way there's other intelligent life in the universe and can't be visting earth just because WE don't have the capability  to travel outside our galaxy. And i'm sorry  but i don't believe that human beings are special enough to be the only intelligent being in the universe. I think earth is one of the many planets of the universe that harbors intelligent life. And as far as the universe being finite there's no evidence of that. Several scientists have come out and said the the universe is expanding.

Edited by spikeman25, 18 August 2007 - 03:26 AM.

#19    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:47 AM

I'm not hostile. I just think it's very arrogant to sit back and say there's no possible way there's other intelligent life in the universe and can't be visting earth just because WE don't have the capability  to travel outside our galaxy. And i'm sorry  but i don't believe that human beings are special enough to be the only intelligent being in the universe. I think earth is one of the many planets of the universe that harbors intelligent life. And as far as the universe being finite there's no evidence of that. Several scientists have come out and said the the universe is expanding.

He said there is no possible way or he said there is the possibility? Cause for a minute I was pretending you were actually reading what he was typing.

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#20    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

He said there is no possible way or he said there is the possibility? Cause for a minute I was pretending you were actually reading what he was typing.
I did read what he typed smart ass. He said he loves the idea of the idea of other intelligent life but he also said there might be a chance we are it. Which i just disagreed with . Is that allowed on here or am i required to be one of the sheep and agree with the skeptics in order to be considered intelligent?

Edited by spikeman25, 18 August 2007 - 03:57 AM.

#21    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,637 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

For all we know, this is the only planet where everything was right for life to arise. I know its unlikely but it IS possible. But in truth, we only know about carbon based life forms, we have no idea what else could be out there.

That is the problem, we don't know, we don't know if there really is life out there or not, all we know is about this planet, we haven't being here so long to see what other kinds of elements can be an ingredient for life, we don't know, the unknown sorrounds us, all we can do now is face the odds and the odds say that life is somewhere else, maybe not intelligent, maybe nothing big, maybe just bacteria, but it's there, until we really know if life is out there or not, until something prooves that life is out there or isn't there, we have to face the odds and keep exploring and researching and not say this with such a secure position:

It IS entirely possible that this is the only planet with life on it in the entire universe.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#22    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

I did read what he typed smart ass. He said he loves the idea of the idea of other intelligent life but he also said there might be a chance we are it. Which i just disagreed with . Is that allowed on here or am i required to be one of the sheep and agree with the skeptics in order to be considered intelligent?

So were you just twisting his words deliberately then?

He said: It IS entirely possible that this is the only planet with life on it in the entire universe.

You said he said: There's no possible way there's other intelligent life in the universe.

Those sentences have completely different meanings. He's absolutely right in saying that the life on Earth might be the only life in the universe, it's entirely possible. Probable? No, but that's not the point. It's not arrogant, it's a logical truth. Until we know there is other life, we can't say for sure that we aren't alone.

Edited by Raptor X7, 19 August 2007 - 01:12 PM.

#23    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:40 AM

So were you just twisting his words deliberately then?

He said: It IS entirely possible that this is the only planet with life on it in the entire universe.

You said he said: There's no possible way there's other intelligent life in the universe.
Those sentences have completely different meanings. He's absolutely right in saying that the life on Earth might be the only life in the universe, it's entirely possible. Probable? No, but that's not the point. It's not arrogant, it's a logical truth. Until we know there is other life, we can't say for sure that we aren't alone.
No i didn't. I was disagreeing with him when he  said there's a strong possibility were it, Which i believe is dead wrong. The universe is too big to be just for us, Which is more wishfull thinking than their being other intelligent life which is a high probability. Don't try to put words in my mouth.

Edited by spikeman25, 20 August 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#24    punish3ment

punish3ment

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• I choose death before dishonour, I'd rather die than live down on my knees

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

I think its difficult to get our heads around the actual size of our galaxy and the entire universe. Many people know its big, but they haven't an idea on how big it actually is.

Posted Image
"I dress to kill, but tastefully." -- Freddie Mercury

#25    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

I think its difficult to get our heads around the actual size of our galaxy and the entire universe. Many people know its big, but they haven't an idea on how big it actually is.
True. That's why i find it funny that some people actually believe were all that there is.

#26    postalz

postalz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

spikeman25

You're right alex. It ludicrous to say were the only intelligent life in the universe, Since the universe is infinite and it still continues to grow.

how can something thats infinite in size, grow larger, ever think about that?

and i agree it's very unlikely we are the only life in the universe, but that doesnt take away that there is a CHANCE we are actually the only life in the universe. everything is possible.

#27    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

Since the universe is infinite and it still continues to grow. how can something thats infinite in size, grow larger, ever think about that?

It's commonly accepted among physicists that the universe is actually finite.

#28    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,303 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:24 PM

It's commonly accepted among physicists that the universe is actually finite.

...expanding into infinite .... (maybe)

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#29    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,637 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

The universe is infinite to us becuase we can't reach it's end, and we will never reach the universe's end. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have an end, but the end is not reacheable, due to it's expansion and some other factors. So yes you could say it's infinite, but it's also finite in another point of view. It's complicated, you understand? original.gif

Edited by Alex01, 21 August 2007 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#30    Jindujun

Jindujun

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

Pretty cool videos though, as some have said, the conclusion of the second one is laughable. Why would a vast universe prove anything other than it's vast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users