Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Valuable cross from Middle Age found in trash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:17 AM

August 16
Vienna, Austria - A valuable cross dating to the Middle Ages has turned up in a trash bin in Austria.

A woman looking for old crockery in a trash container in the western Austrian town of Zell am See stumbled upon the precious piece in 2004. They say she apparently she had no idea of it's value and just stashed it behind her couch.

Now experts say the cross could be worth as much as C$575,000.

A local museum has custody of it, at least for the moment. And whether the trash-foraging woman, who has not been identified, will get so much as a penny for her find has yet to be determined.

An investigation disclosed that, until the Second World War, the cross had been part of an art collection belonging to Izabella Elzbieta of Czartoryski Dzialinska, Poland.

Before the outbreak of war, Elzbieta tried to hide the piece from the Nazis by concealing it in the cellar of a building in Warsaw. But the Nazis found it in 1941 and later brought it, along with other items from Elzbieta's collection, to a castle in Austria. It is unclear what happened next.

Experts at Vienna's fine arts museum determined that it comes from Limoges, France, and dates to about 1200.
go

#2    JAKERZ666

JAKERZ666

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

• White And Nerdy

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

How do they know she didnt just make it ?

#3    swtp

swtp

Alien Abducter

• 4,702 posts

• It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

I hope they give the woman something, if not for her it might have been permenantly gone!

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,130 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

at least the Czartoryski Dzialinsk family will feel like they won the lotto, it is their property after all.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Themis

Themis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

How do they know she didnt just make it ?

I would think they got an expert in that period to examine it... there are tests you can do too on the paintwork and metal.

What an amazing find... it never ceases to surprise me where this stuff turns up  yes.gif

Stand up and be counted. Sit down and be applauded. But don't, whatever you do, lie down and let someone walk all over you :)

Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

CLICK HERE TO follow me to the Paranormal Border's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users