Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sleep Paralysis:

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Skim Milky

Skim Milky

I Want to Believe...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

• Xbox Live: SkimMilky Smith

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:37 AM

any thoughts on sleep paralysis and a possible spiritual or supernatural connection?  now im not just chalking it up to that because science doesnt understand it yet.  well, im not trying to.

the PURE TERROR of the events is very troubling.

heres a link if your unfamiliar with this phenomenon.

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa112000a.htm

#2    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,630 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:30 AM

Sorry, I didn't catch the "science doesn't understand it yet" part.

It seems reasonable that when animals lose voluntary consciousness, that the voluntary musculature ought to be disabled, lest we "act out" our dreams.

Neurological mechanisms are complex, and will occasionally misfire.

So, someone regains consciousness before control of the musculature returns. The person is in fact temporarily paralyzed. That ought to get his or her attention.

Moreover, that regained consciousness may be hypnopompic (the sort of 'twilight consciousness' which is neither quite awake nor quite asleep). Hmm, am inherently disturbing situation, and an impaired level of consciousness with which to handle it.

Of course, the same things could happen going from wakefulness to sleep.

What part of this do you suppose that "science" doesn't understand?

Edited by eight bits, 08 September 2007 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image

#3    Skim Milky

Skim Milky

I Want to Believe...

• 1,606 posts

• Xbox Live: SkimMilky Smith

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

well first thing they have no "cure", no definitive "cause", and only suggestions, namely good sleeping habits, to help avoid the episodes.

#4    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,067 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

well first thing they have no "cure", no definitive "cause", and only suggestions, namely good sleeping habits, to help avoid the episodes.

Doesn't mean you jump to a conclusion that it is paranormal.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#5    northwest

northwest

Psychic Spy

• 1,062 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

What you are talking about are night terrors...

I have a case of sleep paralysis, and I don't have hallucinations at all. I used to have them as a little kid, but I don't remember any of that anymore (my parents toled me).

So, you can have sleep paralysis and not have terrors

While it certainly feels like some kind of mystical experience (sometimes you feel that something is present, but I would say I am ever really afraid, more like fighting or troubled by something), I don't think it is anything paranormal.

Though , I'm pretty sure many real cases of presence and encounters have been misdiagnosed as
forms of sleep paralysis.

I believe

#6    IzzyGone

IzzyGone

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:41 PM

It doesnt have to be either a muscle/brain thing or a 'presence' thing..  We can't really know.  All you know from the small post that I can determine is this:

1.  It scares you.
2.  It doesn't kill you.

So I think the cure is to get over the 'scared' and realize that  you don't die from it.
Then it matters not what about science or presence, you're good either way.

And the part about 'science' that seems to be possibly misunderstood in my opinion is this...

"Sorry, I didn't catch the "science doesn't understand it yet" part."
"Neurological mechanisms are complex, and will occasionally misfire..."

Now, do our body system misfire or do we make mistakes in science and change our minds when we find out better?

Could be either way I'd say.
We didn't think Nature could be more then the machines we make yet Danny Tammet IS alive and IS all this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbASOcqc1Ss
Which science currently 'cant really explainz'...

#7    IzzyGone

IzzyGone

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:44 PM

I'll add that perhaps you should take a breath, look at that 'terror' and see what exactly is so 'terrifying' about it.  Might be that its only happened to you twice in your lifetime that you've posted here (seems anyway).  Eventually, we get used to things.  Play with it... let your heart feel the scared a bit and see what that really is.  Might just be 'unfamiliar' and that might just be all it is?

#8    northwest

northwest

Psychic Spy

• 1,062 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:32 AM

Well if the fear comes neurologically instead of a reaction to some kind of idea or concept (like fear of death), then it can not be stopped.
Now this is oversimplification of how brain works, but suppose someone injects a chemical combination into your synapses that causes fear, then you can't think your way out of it, he just pushed your fear button, and that's it, you experience fear.
Perhaps brain does such a thing in night terror attacks, it just goes into "fear" mode, and that's the end of story.

There are many brain functions which we can not control with decision. Our brain is full of "buttons" which can be pressed
to do certain things. I'm pretty sure, someone could convert me to a hardcore atheist and UFO-skeptic with a combination of
injections and light patters or something like that.

I believe

#9    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,630 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:17 AM

Hi, 1StormSignals.

We have a crossed connection. You quote from my post, which replied to the OP question:

any thoughts on sleep paralysis

Sleep paralysis is exactly a "muscle/brain" thing. Some people have said that they find the experience of regaining consciousness while retaining sleep paralysis frightening. I can believe it.

In subsequent discussion, northwest opened the floor to the related subject of "night terrors," rightly distinguishing that from sleep paralysis.

My comments concerned only sleep paralysis.

Posted Image

#10    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:21 AM

sleep terrors are common especially with kids. I've had them on and off most of my life and they always get worse under stress, which marks it as physical. There may not be a cure yet but nor is there on for the common cold either but we don't educatedly attribute that to the paranormal.

the same with 'sleep paralysis'. All of us go into a sort of paralysis in sleep to keep ourselves safe , sometimes however we can wake during these cycles and in doing so experience some very disturbing sensations and sights.

same with sleep terrors. you can be both 'awake' and dreaming still. I'll be awake and speaking to my partner as I'm looking for the giant spiders only to slowly wake up and realize it was a night terror. Sometimes I don't wake up , sometimes I wake up in another room . but stress definitely plays a role. nor are we aware we are under stress sometimes.

and anyone can have either or both.

Edited by Lt_Ripley, 09 September 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#11    northwest

northwest

Psychic Spy

• 1,062 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

It's good that you have mentioned stress, because I tend to have sleep paralysis and other anomalies when I lay down stressed.

But I must say that all kinds of strange things can happen to a mind that has these tendencies, and
there is not a specific list of symptoms, though some are more common than others.
It's just enough to say that a mind enters a state in which it gets extremely "confused", both regarding motorical and
perceptive/consciousness functions, and out of that can come a wide variety of effects.
It's not as simple as waking up paralyzed and being scared of it.
Specially considering that people who tend to have one of these manifestations, can have other similar sleep disorders too, so
there is not a very clear line between these things.

I believe

#12    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:41 AM

It's good that you have mentioned stress, because I tend to have sleep paralysis and other anomalies when I lay down stressed.

But I must say that all kinds of strange things can happen to a mind that has these tendencies, and
there is not a specific list of symptoms, though some are more common than others.
It's just enough to say that a mind enters a state in which it gets extremely "confused", both regarding motorical and
perceptive/consciousness functions, and out of that can come a wide variety of effects.
It's not as simple as waking up paralyzed and being scared of it.
Specially considering that people who tend to have one of these manifestations, can have other similar sleep disorders too, so
there is not a very clear line between these things.

of course strange things happen not to a mind but in the mind. think of dreaming. a dream can feel so real that when you awake you can wonder if you had actually experienced it.

sometimes in sleep paralysis one isn't totally awake ( rarely is) and wondering 'hey I can't move'  but usually coming out of rem sleep .  To remain calm and try to remember that this is a 'natural occurrence' compared to aliens ect ........... helps keep anxiety down .

and people who do have one sleep disorder alot of times have others.  They may not have a 'cure' but on eeg's these things are registered. Just like epilepsy. I myself because of a medication , woke up during the end of a small epileptic seizure. The tremors scared me. Because it didn't feel like I was shaking , but the bed. But in fact it was me. It was a wave like feeling from one side of the body to the other ending with my right arm. Med change and it never happened again.

that's also another point ---- certain medications can make night terrors or sleep paralysis worse. even make dreams worse or not able to remember. Some once you come off a med your dreams are wild.

#13    northwest

northwest

Psychic Spy

• 1,062 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:46 AM

Speaking of weird things, last night I had a dream I was in some bar and getting extremely drunk from just 2 beers, the feeling was so real, then waking up to find I have a high temperature (making me feel dizzy, and my head feel heavy, which accounts for the dream)

I believe

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,340 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:43 AM

Ever wake up with sleep paralysis and have to pee? Now that would be a drag.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#15    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:12 AM

My last & only (hopefully) SP episode, if I had had a weak heart, I'd be dead right now. No kidding. It was real, and the terror was real. I'm glad my heart aint weak.

anyhoo.

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users