Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sleep Paralysis:

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    SkepticalEd

SkepticalEd

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:54 AM

any thoughts on sleep paralysis and a possible spiritual or supernatural connection?  now im not just chalking it up to that because science doesnt understand it yet.  well, im not trying to.

the PURE TERROR of the events is very troubling.

heres a link if your unfamiliar with this phenomenon.

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa112000a.htm

I had one episode of sleep paralysis, the classic "old hag."  There are NO spiritual or supernatural connections.  And you're wrong, science understands it and there are experiments going on all the time in labs, I participated in one such experiment back in the 1970s after my SP experience.  I used to sleep on my belly and one night when I "awoke" I couldn't move.  I felt a weight on my back.  The sounds I was hearing were horrific.  I tried to call through the open to my nephew sleeping in another room and my vocal chords were paralyzed also.  Eventually I fell asleep and awoke normally in the morning with memories of the experience.  I never slept on my stomach again.  If it happens again, I'll probably be on my back and I hope to remember the other experience and will just go through the experience.  Prior to my experience, I knew about it from the 1960s.  Here is a definition of SP:
Sleep Paralysis (SP) is a common medical condition and usually tagged nowdays as a Sleeping Disorder.  The symptoms can sometimes include complete to partial paralysis of arms, legs and upper torso, a tight or heavy pressure on your chest sometimes with a choking sensation and almost always experienced as you are about to fall into sleep or just come out of sleep.  The most remarkable symptoms of SP are the accompanying audio and/or visual hallucinations often causing extreme terror and panic in it's sufferers, who more often than not mistakenly believe they are being visited by aliens, malevolent beings and other evil presences.

NOTE: When I finished typing my reply and hit the button I got a pop-up accusing me of hijacking someone's thread and I don't know what that was about.  Does anyone know?

Edited by SkepticalEd, 10 September 2007 - 12:14 AM.

Think for yourself.
Reach your own conclusions.
Seek truth, wherever it may lead you.
Hold no value higher than reason.

You cannot have a cult of individuals.

Anecdotes are not evidence.

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

#17    Skim Milky

Skim Milky

I Want to Believe...

• 1,606 posts

• Xbox Live: SkimMilky Smith

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

Doesn't mean you jump to a conclusion that it is paranormal.

i specifically stated in the op that i wasnt jumping to that conclusion.  geezzz....  i just wanna hear what people come up with about this.

#18    Skim Milky

Skim Milky

I Want to Believe...

• 1,606 posts

• Xbox Live: SkimMilky Smith

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:43 PM

It doesnt have to be either a muscle/brain thing or a 'presence' thing..  We can't really know.  All you know from the small post that I can determine is this:

1.  It scares you.
2.  It doesn't kill you.

So I think the cure is to get over the 'scared' and realize that  you don't die from it.
Then it matters not what about science or presence, you're good either way.

And the part about 'science' that seems to be possibly misunderstood in my opinion is this...

"Sorry, I didn't catch the "science doesn't understand it yet" part."
"Neurological mechanisms are complex, and will occasionally misfire..."

Now, do our body system misfire or do we make mistakes in science and change our minds when we find out better?

Could be either way I'd say.
We didn't think Nature could be more then the machines we make yet Danny Tammet IS alive and IS all this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbASOcqc1Ss
Which science currently 'cant really explainz'...

um... i know it wont kill me...i didnt die.....but its just a fearful experience.  like being awake on the operating table but unable to move.

#19    Ghø§t

Ghø§t

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

• Be my slave. Convert to Christianity! :)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

I had one episode of sleep paralysis, the classic "old hag."  There are NO spiritual or supernatural connections.  And you're wrong, science understands it and there are experiments going on all the time in labs, I participated in one such experiments back in the 1970s after mine.  I slept on my belly and when I "awoke" I couldn't move.  I felt a weight on my back.  The sounds I was hearing were horrific.  I tried to call through the open to my nephew sleeping in another room and my vocal chords were paralyzed also.  Eventually I fell asleep and awoke normally in the morning with memories of the experience.  I never slept on my stomach again.  If it happens again, I'll probably be on my back and I hope to remember the other experience and will just go through the experience.  Prior to my experience, I knew about it from the 1960s.  Here is a definition of SP:
Sleep Paralysis (SP) is a common medical condition and usually tagged nowdays as a Sleeping Disorder.  The symptoms can sometimes include complete to partial paralysis of arms, legs and upper torso, a tight or heavy pressure on your chest sometimes with a choking sensation and almost always experienced as you are about to fall into sleep or just come out of sleep.  The most remarkable symptoms of SP are the accompanying audio and/or visual hallucinations often causing extreme terror and panic in it's sufferers, who more often than not mistakenly believe they are being visited by aliens, malevolent beings and other evil presences.

NOTE: When I finished typing my reply and hit the button I got a pop-up accusing me of hijacking someone's thread and I don't know what that was about.  Does anyone know?

What have studies found about these hallucinations? Are there chemicals that activate in the brain to make you see these things? I mean.. these studies have been going since the 60's or so, and if we haven't found the cause for the hallucinations there must be something going wrong.

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean.” - Bob Marley.

#20    SkepticalEd

SkepticalEd

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

What have studies found about these hallucinations? Are there chemicals that activate in the brain to make you see these things? I mean.. these studies have been going since the 60's or so, and if we haven't found the cause for the hallucinations there must be something going wrong.

I've been away from the subject for many years although the memory of that experience is still fresh in my mind.  It is known that we go in and out of deep sleep.  Like bobbing in and out of the water.  It is also known that we have dreams that include "physical" action such as running, leaping, falling, etc.  If you were to be, somehow, sort-of awake during these periods you could hurt yourself by banging part of your bed, wall, whatever.  You cold also hurt your sleeping partner.  My wife had a dream once and I don't know what she was dreaming but I was awakened violently by her elbow on my face!  She could have used SP!  SP comes in handy when you're being active in your dreams so that you don't thrash around.  If you were hooked up to a machine measuring your REM, it would show activity so at that time you are really in SP.  Some people awake during SP before their body is "released" by the brain.  At that time is when you tend to freak out if you don't know and understand SP.  Very few actually do know about and understand SP.  But not that many awaken during SP.  Due to popular culture, and thanks also to the media, these episodes are taken over by irrationality and you then claim an alien abduction!  Not so.

I don't think that SP is the result of chemicals and what you really are experiencing is a dream while you are "awake" and your imagination takes over.  You still wake up normally in the morning (or whenever) and normally you'd attribute the experience to a nightmare.  Nothing wrong, just the wonderful way our brains tell us that there are many things not yet discovered about how the brain/mind works.

Think for yourself.
Reach your own conclusions.
Seek truth, wherever it may lead you.
Hold no value higher than reason.

You cannot have a cult of individuals.

Anecdotes are not evidence.

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

#21    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:45 AM

i specifically stated in the op that i wasnt jumping to that conclusion.  geezzz....  i just wanna hear what people come up with about this.

There is nothing wrong if you did. I've seen this topic debated many times on whether it is scientific or a spiritual experience.

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

#22    dreamer1952

dreamer1952

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

I had the first sp yrs ago. It was only recently that my daughter told me she had experienced an episode ,that I told her I had those yrs ago.I never heard anyone say they had those experiences.I always thought I was weird.Then my daughter said she found a name for them ,sleep paralysis. Wow! Clears up my mystery! The first one I had, this is what I felt,it happened  nearly 40 yrs ago,I felt like I was drifting off into space,a warm comfy feeling,like just drifting off ,floating,you try to move and can't,I tired to talk and say"help " but could not open my mouth.Tried to use my arms and couldn't.My brain felt very much awake but my body asleep. I hear these small munchkin like voices.I can't understand what they are saying but I hear them talking. I keep trying to talk and move till finally I break the sp.After that time,I always know when an episode is coming.It feels like instead of going to sleep you are drifting or floating off.It actually is a good feeling but knowing you will become paralized ,you move before the whole thing takes over.I learned that it always happened when I went to sleep on a certain side of my body. So as soon as I would start to feel that floating feeling, I would turn over. I have not had any of these experiences in many yrs.But now my daughter says she does. They scared me to death ,I do not like feeling unable to move. It is an awful feeling being conscious and not being able to move.I could not open my eyes either or my mouth.I am glad that now there is a name for it. I thought I was possessed or having an out of body experience or something. What a relief!

#23    Belial

Belial

Love me grub i do.

• 4,430 posts

• We all want to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get their.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

I feel that this sort of 'dream state' is nothing more than a overactive brain, trying to work out complex emotional thoughts, and just freezing at a single point in time/thought, and thats the thing you remember most.
If your computer crashed now, you would be more likely to remember the crash than the last thing you was doing.

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

#24    LostInTheWoods

LostInTheWoods

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Since a very young age I’ve been interested in the paranormal, and believed that I had been witnessing paranormal activity. I was always telling my family but they didn’t really take me seriously as I was young. When I was younger I hadn’t learnt of sleep paralysis yet, so when I was sure that I was awake in my bed but could not move, also hearing strange noises and seeing shadows move across the room, I was certain that it was not normal. It’s only in recent years that I have really become fascinated by this subject, and with the interest growing, it seems that there has been more paranormal activity surrounding me. Just things like seeing things out of the corner of my eye, or hearing noises when no one else was at home with me, objects shaking, and just a feeling of some kind of abnormal presence. I suppose I am paranoid about it quite a lot of the time, but I really do feel that this is real. Now skipping forward to this year. One night whilst everyone else in my house was asleep, I was sitting in my bedroom and heard a woman crying, it was only faint (almost like a quiet whimpering) but I heard it, and although I was sitting right next to an open window, I was sure it was coming from inside my house, maybe even my bedroom. I even went to check on everyone after this and they were all very much asleep. I was very scared whenever I stayed in this room, and this sounds very silly, but I could not sleep in this bedroom, often I waited until morning to sleep because the light would be coming through the window, and I felt safe as it was daytime. Whenever I did try to sleep in the dark, I just felt like I was being surrounded by something, like there was always something right next to me, and there was movement all around the room. In the end I had to swap rooms with my sister, this is only going back about a month. Now I felt that I would be fine in this room, as my sister had never experienced anything strange in there. For about the first week nothing happened, it was absolutely fine and I thought I would be able to get back into a normal sleep pattern. One night I was sitting up in bed watching TV, and I heard something moving about and scratching under my bed, it wasn’t very loud but loud enough to get my attention; I thought it was one of my cats, as they often did that. I was watching a spooky movie on TV and started to get a little freaked out and turned it off in fear of another sleepless night. I was about to sleep and decided to kick the cats out as they usually woke me up by jumping up on the bed during the night, and then discovered that there were no cats in my room. This scared me, a lot. I turned on the hallway light, turned off the light in my bedroom and got in bed, pulled the duvet over my head and tried to sleep. After a while, shadows, or shapes, started moving around the room and I was hearing unintelligible voices, then it felt like something was lying directly on top of me, and putting pressure on me. I was scared as I felt awake and thought it was happening. Then it just stopped, and I have no idea whether this was a dream, or not, because it felt extremely real. So I told myself I had been dreaming, but just the thought that I could have been awake and that actually happened scares the hell out of me.

#25    momentarylapseofreason

momentarylapseofreason

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,132 posts

• Warning: This member may contain traces of Nut

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I had a 3rd SP that turned into a rape. Like an Incubus type thing. I didn't see anything but I felt it and heard it.

It threatened to slam me on the edge of the metal bed post if I didn't shut up and quit fighting it.

It was covering my mouth as I was screaming at the top of my lungs with all my might. I couldn't move but I could scream. I saw everything in the room and heard my mother & son snoring/breathing next to me. (we were in a Hotel) I felt being attacked, physically elevated in the air, spun around as it threatened to drop me. This started out like a very, nice sensual dream at first, until I realized it was/seemed real but I couldn't see anyone and I could not wake up, move or escape. I then panicked. I felt fully awake though. The window was open, the moonshine lighting up the room, and a nice breeze was moving the curtains. I could feel the breeze.

My mother heard my muffled screams (yes muffled) eventually, that's what's odd, and turned the lights on asking what the heck was going on. then everything stopped.

My mother got her first chronic life threatening allergy right on this very night  directly after my SP, which pretty much ruined the rest of her life.They never found what was causing it. Coincidence ?

Edited by momentarylapseofreason, 23 January 2009 - 05:57 PM.

If religion contained any truth, it could be ridiculed, insulted, even defiled without being diminished in any way. Its truth would shine through undimmed, unblemished, shaming those who abused it into silence. But that's not how things are. Religion is prickly, it's intolerant, it's ultra-defensive precisely because it's brittle and fragile.- Pat Condell

#26    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

^ interesting.

My sister has issues with SP all in the same nature as you described.

very disturbing. She's been suffering with this stuff for years now.

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

#27    InnerSpace

InnerSpace

• 3,359 posts

• "Follow your bliss." J. Campbell

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

All in the Mind?
by Paul Chambers

The human brain is a far more extraordinary organ than most of us imagine. It is quite capable of manufacturing 'experiences' that have no basis in consensus reality. Sadly, for paranormal researchers, some of these effects resemble the kind of phenomena we are attempting to study. Unless we are aware of this possibility our effort may be wasted on purely natural phenomena.

The degree to which the human brain assists in the generation and understanding of paranormal experience has been a hotly debated topic for over a century now.
Skeptics would argue that all paranormal experiences are generated by the scientific workings of the brain and are therefore not 'paranormal' but simply cases of misinterpretation. Parapsychologists generally believe that the brain is capable of producing completely unknown powers, such as extra-sensory perception and psychokinesis, which may be involved in a range of paranormal phenomena such as crisis apparitions and poltergeists. Those of a religious or Spiritualist nature will more commonly believe that many paranormal phenomena are generated totally outside the brain through the intervention of discarnate entities such as spirits of the dead, angels or demons.

In recent decades the use of technology such as EEGs (electroencephalograph - an instrument that measures brain electrical activity), CAT (computerized axial tomography - a method of producing a detailed cross-section of internal organs such as the brain) scans, computers and sleep laboratories, has allowed the science of psychology to move away from the more theoretical days of Sigmund Freud into an era of measurement and understanding of the way in which the mind and brain work and interact. This process has uncovered a number of now very well documented sets of psychological conditions and disorders that, under the right circumstances, can make a person believe that they are undergoing a paranormal-type experience when in fact they are not. Common causes here.  

In the modern world the supernatural entity said to assault the sleep paralysis victim is derived directly from their cultural traditions.
In St. Lucia, West Indies, an attack of kokma comes at a time that the individual is just falling asleep or just waking up. The sensations include pressure on the chest, inability to move, and anxiety. The kokma is the spirit of a dead baby that haunts an area, attacking people in their beds. In a familiar pattern, they jump on the victim's chest and clutch at the throat. The victim attempts to cry out, or in some other way to get another's attention, someone that might scare off the kokma. Informants described the babies clutching at their throats. The notion that the attacks are thought to be initiated by dead, unbaptized babies is also found in Ireland. "The kokma cannot be controlled, they grab people just for the hell of it" (Dressler, 1977, cited in Ness, 1978).

In Thailand experiences referred to as Phi um (ghost covered) and phi kau (ghost possessed) involve pressure, immobility, and something black covering the body. In Japan kanashibara ("to tie with an iron rope") is a common and widely known experience (Fukuda, 1993). In Korea, people are afflicted by ka wi nulita ("scissors pressed"), an experience felt to be brought on by fear. In the Far North one speaks of agumangia (Inupik) or ukomiarik (Yupik) in which "a soul" tries to take possession of the paralyzed victim. In Laos, (Lemoine & Mounge, 1983) da chor is described as follows: "You want to listen, you can't hear; you want to speak, you are dumb; you want to call out, you cannot; you feel you are dying, dying; you want to run away. You piss with fear in your sleep" (cited in Firestone, 1985, p. 61). In the Philippines people are afflicted with urum, ngarat (Simons & Hughes, 1985). Among the Hmong of Laos the nightmare spirit is referred to as dab (nightmare) tsog (evil spirit) or tsog tsuam (evil spirit who crushes, smothers, or presses upon) (Adler, 1994).  http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/night_mare.html

Research suggest that Geomagnetism is one of the main causes of sleep paralysis, along with Infrasound and Electromagnetic fields.
"This preliminary report, of a longitudinal study, looks at the relationship between geomagnetic activity and the incidence of isolated sleep paralysis over a 23.5-mo. period. The author, who has frequently and for the last 24 years experienced isolated sleep paralysis was the subject. In addition, incidence of lucid dreaming, vivid dreams, and total dream frequency were looked at with respect to geomagnetic activity.

The data were in the form of dream-recall frequency recorded in a diary. These frequency data were correlated with geomagnetic activity k-index values obtained from two observatories. A significant correlation was obtained between periods of local geomagnetic activity and the incidence of isolated sleep paralysis.

Specifically, periods of relatively quiet geomagnetic activity were significantly associated with an increased incidence of episodes.
http://www.websciences.org/cftemplate/NAPS...cfm?ID=19961337

Tons more studies just like this.  There's a higher incident of deaths, suicide, car accidents, heart attack, seizures, psychiatric disorders, sleeping disorders, and other illnesses when exposed to the ever fluxing geomagnetic activity, electromagnetic fields,  as well as cosmic ray & solar activity.  It all affects our health and our minds in a profound way, and when someone is under stress…it's far far worse.  

A few studies on how our environment affects our health and psychology:

CONCLUSIONS:

• Monthly death number is linked to cosmic ray activity, and inverse, to solar activity. Central place of stroke-related deaths in cardiovascular mortality is emerging.
  • Cosmic ray variations of solar origin in relation to human physiological state during the December 2006 solar extreme events:
  • There is an increasing amount of evidence linking biological effects to solar and geomagnetic disturbances. A series of studies is published referring to the changes in human physiological responses at different levels of geomagnetic activity.

CONCLUSIONS:
  • The number of deaths is significantly related to physical activity in the space environment.
  • Ambient electromagnetic field activity impact behaviour in a clinically meaningful manner. The study furthermore raises issues regarding other sources of stray electromagnetic fields and their effect on mental health.
  • Increased psychiatric admissions, seizures and heart failures due to increased GMA
  • The monthly number of preterm births showed a significant and direct correlation with solar activity indices.

Sources:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/10235q7670436t83/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1771557...ogdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1630469...Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1473704...ogdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1799880...ogdbfrom=pubmed

The body/mind…a human antenna
-------------->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDINHkuN0n8&NR=1

Posted Image
"Justice will not come . . . until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are." ~Thucydides

#28    InnerSpace

InnerSpace

• 3,359 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Duplicate posts due to board problems/flood control

Edited by innerSpace, 23 January 2009 - 10:14 PM.

Posted Image
"Justice will not come . . . until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are." ~Thucydides

#29    InnerSpace

InnerSpace

• 3,359 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Duplicate.

Edited by innerSpace, 23 January 2009 - 10:14 PM.

Posted Image

#30    momentarylapseofreason

momentarylapseofreason

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,132 posts

• Warning: This member may contain traces of Nut

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

That's fascinating stuff IS !!

It's funny, because I just told my husband the other day, that it may have something to do with magnetic fields, even though I never have read these bits.

I just know about that helmet thingy.

What I'm wondering is, if there is something really/actually there, and we are just being "tuned in" by these magnetic fields. Maybe it's just a way of our brain interpreting "something" of which it can't understand or compute. Our brain only interprets parts that we have on file or a pattern of familiarity. The brain may "create" to fill in the blank parts that it can't make sense of or work out ?

Edited by momentarylapseofreason, 23 January 2009 - 10:29 PM.

If religion contained any truth, it could be ridiculed, insulted, even defiled without being diminished in any way. Its truth would shine through undimmed, unblemished, shaming those who abused it into silence. But that's not how things are. Religion is prickly, it's intolerant, it's ultra-defensive precisely because it's brittle and fragile.- Pat Condell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users