Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meteorite makes villagers ill

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

Villagers in southern Peru have been struck by a mysterious illness after a meteorite made a fiery crash to Earth in their area.

Around midday Saturday, villagers were startled by an explosion and a fireball that many were convinced was a plane crashing near their remote village, in the high Andes department of Puno in the Desaguadero region, near the border with Bolivia.

Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a "strange odour."

Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being taken to hospital.

Rescue teams and experts were dispatched to the scene where the meteorite had left a crater 30m wide and 6m deep, said local official Marco Limache.

Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby.
go

#2    PODNickerz

PODNickerz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

Oh could it be an alien biological weapon ??? ohmy.gif

#3    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,107 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

Mystery illness strikes after meteorite hits village

linked-image
The impact that the meteorite left. (AAP)

Villagers in southern Peru were struck by a mysterious illness after a meteorite made a fiery crash to Earth in their area, regional authorities said today.

Around midday Saturday, villagers were startled by an explosion and a fireball that many were convinced was an airplane crashing near their remote village, located in the high Andes department of Puno in the Desaguadero region, near the border with Bolivia.

Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a "strange odor," local health department official Jorge Lopez told Peruvian radio RPP.

Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being hospitalized, Lopez said.

advertisement
Rescue teams and experts were dispatched to the scene, where the meteorite left a 30-metre-wide and six-metre-deep crater, said local official Marco Limache.

"Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby. Residents are very concerned," he said.

linky

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#4    sede-x-teh-bomb

sede-x-teh-bomb

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• formaly known as zombie jesus

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

you would think there would be some mention about some sort of follow up?
couldnt something like that potentially be dangerous ?

LOL

#5    Hissie Sola

Hissie Sola

Phantom Of The Forest

• 3,611 posts

• No circle is complete without its center.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

Weird. Maybe it's some type of alien virus, that will plague mankind for the next 5 years. Untill the last human being dies from it on december 21st 2012.  huh.gif

Posted Image

#6    Rowan! At The Disco

Rowan! At The Disco

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• "Penguins are slowly stealing my sanity." - Gerard Way

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:30 PM

Maybe it was something in the ground that caused it, which was released after the meteorite hit?  It could be all sorts of things, I doubt it was directly caused by the meteorite.

Edited by Rowan! At The Disco, 18 September 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#7    LittleIrishVampiress

LittleIrishVampiress

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

• What you seek above, sow below.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

eek, that sounds quite serious?? dontgetit.gif
i hope they're treating it as so..

"I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               - Ray Bradbury,  Zen in the Art of Writing

#8    Bill Hill

Bill Hill

Marshal Law

• 9,938 posts

• If I had my own world
    I'd build you an empire
    From here to the far lands
    To spread love like violence

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

sounds like mass hysteria!
C'mon a backward village... do we of the scientific-minded west.. actually need to add anything else?

Posted Image
Something in your heart, feel like someThing nEw.

#9    Bear's Quest

Bear's Quest

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

WHOA!!  Thats a huge hole of a crater!  ...and that it was boiling the water inside it giving out toxic fumes!?  

Anyone here thinks it could be radioactive?

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,454 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

sounds like mass hysteria!
C'mon a backward village... do we of the scientific-minded west.. actually need to add anything else?

Comments like this are absolute proof of the lack of a scientific mind set of many in the west. Where is your evidence? Simply saying "it is so, no more to be said" is about as far away from scientific method as it is possible, it does show a rather bigoted attitude towards other cultures though.

There are any number of reasons that this object could have caused illness. Viruses from space are highly unlikely to be the cause, however this "meteorite" could easily be a part of a satellite or spent rocket stage that has survived re-entry. Some rocket fuels and oxidisers are highly toxic.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    ships-cat

ships-cat

Alien Abducter

• 5,122 posts

• ..it's all too confusing for the working Cat to understand.... :(

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

Comments like this are absolute proof of the lack of a scientific mind set of many in the west. Where is your evidence? Simply saying "it is so, no more to be said" is about as far away from scientific method as it is possible, it does show a rather bigoted attitude towards other cultures though.

There are any number of reasons that this object could have caused illness. Viruses from space are highly unlikely to be the cause, however this "meteorite" could easily be a part of a satellite or spent rocket stage that has survived re-entry. Some rocket fuels and oxidisers are highly toxic.

<sigh> Minor volcanic activity. Brief light on the horizon. Sulphur released. Villagers ill. Cat goes to bed.

Meow Purr.

A cat stretches from one end of my childhood to the other.

#12    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,669 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

The Andromeda Strain.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#13    raoulduke666

raoulduke666

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• "...many are so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to defend it" Morpheus "The Matrix"

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

when i see stories like these I always think of a virus that would turn the world into nothing but flesh eating zombies  gunsmilie.gif

Posted Image

"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." -Hunter S. Thompson-

#14    Bill Hill

Bill Hill

Marshal Law

• 9,938 posts

• If I had my own world
    I'd build you an empire
    From here to the far lands
    To spread love like violence

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:34 PM

Do we have any empirical data to support such claims?
If not, in the absence of evidence I'd like to deploy occam's razor.

Posted Image
Something in your heart, feel like someThing nEw.

#15    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,964 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

when i see stories like these I always think of a virus that would turn the world into nothing but flesh eating zombies  gunsmilie.gif

Hmmm...do you play a lot of video games?  wink2.gif

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users