Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meteorite makes villagers ill

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

Do we have any empirical data to support such claims?
If not, in the absence of evidence I'd like to deploy occam's razor.

No we don't, nor do we have any empirical data to support your claim hence there is no way that you can apply Occam's razor to support it.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#17    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

Hmmm...do you play a lot of video games?  wink2.gif

Makes me think of a Stephen King story....and I don't see why a meteorite couldn't bring with it something that could harm humans.  It doesn't have to be a virus, it could be all kinds of chemical reactions caused by the heat on entry to combining with the H2O of water.  Very interesting.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#18    Bill Hill

Bill Hill

Marshal Law

• 9,938 posts

• If I had my own world
    I'd build you an empire
    From here to the far lands
    To spread love like violence

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:24 AM

No we don't, nor do we have any empirical data to support your claim hence there is no way that you can apply Occam's razor to support it.

Sure we can, in the absence of evidence- the event most likely didn't happen. Have we got any verification the event took place?
How reliable is the source?  
Assumpting the info is true, someone somewhere assumed it was indeed a meteorite... based on what? scientific speculation or 'the villager's belief' which let's face it, is probably going to be 'quite out there'. The God's touched the earth or witches...etc
Science is always actively involved in a battle against 'faith.' which might appear bigoted in the same sense skepticism to some people might appear rude.

Edited by billyhill, 19 September 2007 - 01:24 AM.

Posted Image
Something in your heart, feel like someThing nEw.

#19    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,101 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:34 AM

UPDATE

No radiation detected in mysterious crater

No radiation has been detected in a crater caused by a meteorite which slammed into southeastern Peru, causing 200 villagers to fall ill, officials and scientists said today. (AAP)

No radiation has been detected in a crater caused by a meteorite which slammed into southeastern Peru, causing 200 villagers to fall ill, officials and scientists said today.

Scores of residents of the farming village of Carancas began vomiting and complaining of headaches and dizziness after the space object struck the area Saturday, creating an eight meter deep, 20 meter wide crater.

"We have determined with precision instruments that there is no radiation," engineer Renan Ramirez of the Peruvian Nuclear Energy Institute told AFP.

Ramirez said the illnesses may have been triggered by sulfur, arsenic or other toxins that may have melted in the extreme heat produced by the meteorite strike.

"It is a conventional meteorite that, when it struck, produced gases by fusing with elements of the terrain," he said. He also ruled out that the object was a satellite.

Nestor Quispe, mayor of the nearby town of Desaguadero, said about 200 sick villagers are being treated and that Carancas residents fear that they fear long-term side effects.

There is also "a lot of panic and fear because villagers are afraid that other space objects could fall," Quispe told AFP.

The director of the health ministry in the Puno region, Jorge Lopez, said none of the patients was in serious condition but that they would have to undergo blood and neurological tests as a precaution in three to six months.

A medical facility was installed in Carancas to treat the patients, and "if necessary, some will be sent to hospitals in Puno," the nearest big city, he said.

Police have cordoned off the crater. Lopez said that despite wearing a mask while he approached the crater, the fumes irritated his nose and throat.

linky

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#20    raoulduke666

raoulduke666

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• "...many are so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to defend it" Morpheus "The Matrix"

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:43 AM

Hmmm...do you play a lot of video games?  wink2.gif

no, just watch alot of zombie movies   tongue.gif

Edited by raoulduke666, 19 September 2007 - 01:44 AM.

Posted Image

"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." -Hunter S. Thompson-

#21    Bill Hill

Bill Hill

Marshal Law

• 9,938 posts

• If I had my own world
    I'd build you an empire
    From here to the far lands
    To spread love like violence

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for the update jesspy,  yes.gif
although I'm still highly skeptical at this stage about the alleged events.
Could develop into an interesting story though...

Posted Image
Something in your heart, feel like someThing nEw.

#22    Callisto

Callisto

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:20 PM

although I'm still highly skeptical at this stage about the alleged events.
Could develop into an interesting story though...

OR.... it could become top secret, and we will never know what caused it..... I suppose the idea that the particular terrain involved could have triggered the event is the probable explaination, I still get a feeling of unease myself....meteors do that to us, after all, so many Sci-Fi  films begin that way!!  I think it only natural the locals would have been extremely upset..I know I would be in a similar situation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users