Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Possible to clone Dinosaurs?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:39 AM

The post above covers the cloning issue very well.

However, in the far future, might it not be possible to "create" a creature that is dinosaur-like in appearance?  Technically all living things consist of the same molecules at a genetic level.  That's very far-future stretching-it sci fi, but what would be the barriers to that, beyond technology?

I suppose it would be entirely possible to one day be able to "turn on and off" certain genes to create an animal that appears dinosaur like. This would probably best be accomplished with birds who are a more direct decedent of dinosaurs than anything else on earth.

However in this case, we are not really creating a dinosaur, just a new species of animal that has some dinosaur like characteristics.

What would the barriers be? Many.
It would require the ability to completely map and control an animals genome. We can map genes and genomes very accurately now, the control is the problem. Its not as simple as "turning them on and off". Some genes require multiple regulators to work, some genes work on feed back systems, some genes regulators are down stream of the gene or on a different chromosome. It gets complicated real fast.

In my opinion (and despite what the sci-fi writers say), we are a long, long way off from movies like Gattaca. Though it is nice to imagine sometimes  grin2.gif

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#17    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,907 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

Something i have been thinking on. Is it possible to actually clone a dinosaur. Like Velociraptor or Giganotosaurus etc. It would be awesome if they cloned a Velociraptor, and then followed by the other species!

I doubt the possibility of it - DNA tends to degrade. But it would be cool if they could..

#18    darkmanure

darkmanure

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

WraithGod on Oct 15 2007, 02:54 PM, said:

The post above covers the cloning issue very well.

However, in the far future, might it not be possible to "create" a creature that is dinosaur-like in appearance?  Technically all living things consist of the same molecules at a genetic level.  That's very far-future stretching-it sci fi, but what would be the barriers to that, beyond technology?

You  mean by changing it's genetics to form it? hard part to make an exact replica you have to know all the animal's genetics.

It might be possible though.

#19    dinotheorist

dinotheorist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

I thought the Jurassic Park idea of obtaining the DNA from engorged mosquitoes trapped in amber was an excellent one. I later watched a PBS program in which a couple of scientists analyzed a real engorged biting fly and found something interesting.

Even though it is very difficult to re-construct dino DNA with modern technology, I think that's a "today thing." When nanotechnology and genetic engineering become more mature and intertwined, I would hesitate to set limits on what will be possible then.

I don't support the idea that dinosaurs would be highly competitive in our modern ecosystem, and that they would be able to overrun the world and widely re-establish themselves, as much as I like them. If that were possible, then birds and crocodiles would have produced evolutionary lines of dinosaur-like land animals, and reclaimed the glory of their extinct relatives.

The higher oxygen content of the atmosphere could not have been the reason that dinosaurs were able to get so big, like "thevocalist" said, but I think there was something in the environment that was a factor in that. Both the higher oxygen-to-nitrogen ratio and the larger size of the dinos could be explained by the paleogravity theory as discussed in the "gravity and dinosaurs" topic.

I think that dinosaurs cloned in today's gravity would suffer mostly in the egg stage, and then again as they reach their mature body weight if this is ever done.

Edited by dinotheorist, 30 October 2007 - 03:10 PM.

http://www.dinotheorist.com

dinotheorist@yahoo.com

I am in the editing phase of a book entitled The Nonevent Principle, a sci-fi/supernatural thriller.
I am in the market for agency representation.

#20    UtahRaptor

UtahRaptor

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

• Most info on anything you may want to know is out there. Go find it. Do research!

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

Lets just assume that one can fully succesfully clone a dinosaur. Why would you want to? Should you even bring an animal like that here to this time frame? I have studied such animals for 30 years. No one more than myself would want to see a living dinosaur of any specie. These creatures, regardles of size are just too dangerous to have here in this time frame. They take the terms "ferral" and "killer instinct" to such a degree that we simply can not handle. Of coarse this applies to the carnavores. But as for the herbavores, we have not the food for them at all. The plants have changed so much since then. They probably would not be able to consume what we have today. But like I said, no one more than I would love to see a living dinosaur. For me, especially one from the raptor family.

Yippie kai-yay MF

#21    DesertFox

DesertFox

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 86 posts

• Well Played, Sir

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

the problem about getting DNA from amber containing mosquitoes and other blood sucking parasites is that
the chemical that is used to stop the blood from clotting destroys DNA, and if it wasn't destroyed, the time difference
is soo great that the DNA would break down anyway.

but since the mammoths and wooly rhino's lived not so long ago, and that some specimens were snap frozen, it could
be possible

Edited by DesertFox, 08 November 2007 - 08:54 AM.

#22    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

Personally I think dinosaurs will never be alive again..But wait, who knows where evolution will take us?

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users