Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Force fields...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 09:14 PM

Looks like the MOD has been developing 'electric armour'. :s8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2002%2F08%2F19%2Fnmod19.xml

:sg

EDIT - fixed link

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 20 August 2002 - 10:29 PM

That is astounding!!!   :o

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#3    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 20 August 2002 - 10:50 PM

:o I want some........ :sk

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#4    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 11:31 PM

[blue]It makes the mind boggle as to what the applications to other craft/buildings/weapons will be...
[/blue]
:si

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#5    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 11:49 PM

A 100% effective mosquito net maybe ?
:sq

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#6    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 01:16 AM

I just hope they don't forget to turn it off when they try to get out of the tank.   :sf

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#7    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:18 AM

Outstanding scientific/military discovery. By discovery I mean a new application of existing materials. Good idea crosis, an effective mosquito net would be an excellent application.

Force fields are cool 8)

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#8    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,909 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:12 PM

Imagine the application of the force feild as a bullet proof vest, of other instead of police riot gear, the possibilities are endless.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#9    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 05:31 AM

I think the telephone companies should find a way to utilize the forcefield to keep #@%!! telemarketers away :s08

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#10    azazel

azazel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• I have crossed Oceans Of Time ....... Bram Stoker's Dracula

Posted 25 August 2002 - 01:11 AM

Tommy thanks for the story, very interesting.

I was wondering with this highly charged capacitor applied around the vehicle..............would it be as effective during a thunderstorm??????? Would lightning short circuit the capacitor ? :sr :sr :sr I'm sure the inventors have thought out this scenario, but I welcome comments in relation to this. :s9 :s02

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean......ST Coleridge

#11    Test_Bear

Test_Bear

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 04:26 AM

I don't see too many overly sinister applications to this device.

Team this up with space-lasers and NASA psychics and I bet we can finally stop black flies.

"If I laugh at any human thing 'tis so I do not weep."     -Lord Byron

#12    Ghostboo

Ghostboo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 06:35 AM

Electric Armour...Sounds interesting.Could prove useful for a kamikaze fighter.I quote:

Base commander:Oh my God!Wuzzat?!

Kamakaze fighter pilot:HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Commander:NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Plane hits,base explodes,plane flies up unharmed.

Pilot:DIE OSAMA!

Sweeeeet...

I'm bored all the time and that is why I'm....bored.

-Ghostboo

#13    Electro

Electro

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 04:39 PM

The link points to an unavailable page.

Is the shield like a Tesla Shield?

Just wondering.

Cheers,

Electro.

#14    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 28 October 2002 - 06:21 PM

Electro,

Fixed the link, it should work for you now.  :su

Magikman  :)

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#15    Electro

Electro

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 09:38 PM

Ah cheers. The link works fine now.

This looks like an interesting development indeed, especially given the details supplied. It would be interesting to know the exact specifics of power consumed in order to vaporise the copper from the warhead.

It is stated that, "despite the high charge, the electrical load on the battery is no more than that caused by starting the engine on a cold morning." I would have thought that it would take considerable power to vaporise copper given the following:

Latent Heat - The latent heat of a substance is the amount of heat required to change the state of unit mass of a substance from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas/vapor without any change in temperature. When solid changes to liquid, the heat provided is called the latent heat of fusion (this heat will be given out when liquid changes to solid). When liquid changes to gas/vapor then heat provided is called the latent heat of vaporisation (this heat is given out when gas changes to liquid). The quantity of heat required to change the state of m g of a substance having latent heat L is Q= mL. (heat = mass/latent heat of vaporisation)

The heat of vaporisation of copper is 300.3 kJ/mol. (Check out http://environmentalchemistry.com for loads of info).

The atomic mass of copper is 63.540 g/mol. Therefore the heat energy required in order to vaporise 1g of copper from its liquid state is:

Q = 63.540 x 300.3

gives 19,081 kJ

In 1Kg we have 1000g, therefore in order to vaporise 1Kg of molten copper we need to use 19,081,062 kJ of energy or 19081062 x 1000 gives 19,081,062,000 Joules of energy required. (19 billion Joules of energy).

This approximates to (using an online energy converter at http://cactus2000.vi...ice/massenr.htm) to 5300 kW or 5300000 Watts.

Given the equations P = I2R (I squared R) and P = VI

P = Power (Watts)
I = Current (Amps)
R = Resistance (Ohms)
V = Voltage (Volts)

In order to achieve the remarkably high figure of 5300000 Watts it would be preferable to achieve this by maximising the voltage used in the energy discharge. By minimising the amount of current flow you effectively bypass the ill affects imposed by P = I2R, where resistance impedes power given an increase in current.

The supply voltage curve on a starter motor might typically range from (12V..0A - 6V..1500A). This means that a maximum current of 1500A or a maximum voltage of 12V could be supplied by the starter motor alone. The necessary voltage levels to provide the necessary power output could be:

Given P = VI

5300000 = VI

V = 5300000/I

Say that we can use the starter motor top output of 1500A. Then,

V = 5300000/1500

gives 3533 Volts. Hoever, given the high current I certainly wouldn't want to touch the interior. Therefore it would be a good idea to raise the voltage as high as posible and minimise the current.

Anyhow, it all looks possible using just the energy consumption stipulated (starter motor on a cold morning), but I wonder what the frequency of attack was on the vehicle? I wonder how quicky the system re-charges after an attack. After all there must be a re-charging time for the capacitor.

I wonder if part of the specification requires the operator to stand on the tank turret whilst shouting, "please cease fire whilst we re-charge. We should be done in a minute or two! Thanks for your co-operation!"

Anyhow, looks interesting. It would be a bit harder to do if the copper wasn't already molten though.

To be honest, I don't think it would quite work out either as personal body armour because as well as frying speeding bullets, it would probably fry you first!

Anyhow, sorry for all the math, which is probably wrong anyway (you are welcome to check it), but I just wondered if this was one of those flights of fancy or a real invention. Looks like it could be a reality!

:su

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users