Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

does god exist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
143 replies to this topic

#31    DespondentDave

DespondentDave

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

• I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (sonofkrypton @ Jan 9 2004, 01:43 PM)
i understand wot you said i also dont believe in enforcing reloigion on small children all i know is that he hasn't started school yet and has never been to nursery and never watches programs of a religious nature so his sources are limited in his surroundings to have formed his question

Limited yes, but as I say it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility. I appreciate your intrigue, especially as you are a non-believer yourself; what gets me is there are a whole host of people out there who take even the flimsiest of evidence as "proof". I fear for these people. It's important to have beliefs, but it's even more important to be open minded and rational about things.

#32    Sandy Band

Sandy Band

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:21 PM

DespondantDave,

I agree with you 95%

Similarly to you I was raised a catholic but, growing up, I have decided that it is not for me. I have issues both with the faith aspect itself and with a lot of the doctrine involved. That's just my view, and everyone else is entitled to theirs. I certainly can't prove there isn't a god just as no one can prove to my satisfaction that there is.

One thing I would ask though, is that you say that enforcing a parent's belief on a child is always wrong and it just provides an easy answer to difficult questions. Both you and I had certain beliefs given to us as a child but now both of us question it, now we are adults. We grew up and made our own decision on the matter. Did it really do any harm? I certainly don't begrudge believing in Jesus et al when growing up, just as I don't mind that I was told that my presents were from santa and those coins under my pillow were from the tooth fairy.

Certainly I don't condone everything in that sweeping statement. If those views involve persecution due to race, creed, colour etc etc then clearly soemthing is awry. But in general, people are bound to pass on their beliefs to their kids. As long as they also give them the freedom to question those beliefs, I do not see the harm. In that way, I am with you in that I find it disappointing (being diplomatic) that people will not be swayed from they're "I am right - all else is wrong" stance. They could well be right, but that's not to say they definitely are.

Anyway, I swore I'd stay out of the religion threads. They tend to descend into two camps shouting at each other. Just your post touched a nerve or something, i a good way

Cheers

SB

P.S.

When I was four I remember sitting in a bath and asking my mum "if I could have a piss".

That is superb! I did much the same when I was about 6, having heard a word at a playground that I was dying to use. Sitting round the dinner table I apparently turned to my Dad and asked "why are you such a sod". Went down like a lead balloon.

#33    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:22 PM

wacko.gif Oh joyousness . The thread is heading in the  whistling2.gif direction again . Now we are down back to the simple things such as

ATHEIST
*Religion has caused much suffering in the world*

NON ATHEIST
*That wasn't religion , it was a few very stupid people thinking they are following religion*

ATHEIST
*oh yah ? well you speak no logic since evolution is logic!*

NON ATHEIST
*Rambles*

ATHEIST
*Rambles*

MOE EUBLEK
"science is the religion of scientists , so what are you all squawking about ? EL CHUBACABRA !!!! *Moe plays wolfenstein*

NON ATHEIST
*Rambles*

well the conversation seems to be going well except for one misconception .

perhaps it was always there? perhaps the universe is in a constant cycle of being reborn? just because we can't answer that is in no way evidence of a creator god...
what created god?

Bathory , it is known we need faith in god being always their , but in evolution what is needed for "Perhaps" in any theory ? Faith , thats what crosswarrior ws saying , that you do require a bit of faith in evolution in well . Their are fossil records , bits and peices of evidence here and their , so there is an amount of proof in evolution , but what you just said "perhaps it was always there?" proofs crosswarriors point .  

Posted Image

#34    sonofkrypton

sonofkrypton

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

can i just say thankyou to everyone who added to this post it has been very insightful i hope you will reply and reply to the replies ????????? of my future posts

thankyou once again

to be truly immortal you must first live a life worth remembering grin2.gif  

To be truly immortal you must first live a life worth remembering - Brandon Lee

#35    DreamRebel

DreamRebel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

• Knowledge is the weapon of choice. Those who possess it shall prevail.

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:28 PM

[Edit] Post removed

#36    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (doink @ Jan 9 2004, 07:51 AM)
Great experience with the child, I'd have loved to hear it. Thanks for sharing it. As for the question of the existence of God, I think the only evidence someone can have is their own experience. As this can be life changing, and mean a lot to them, they become very offended if someone else ridicules that experience, and the person. It is for this reason that some choose not to reveal the experience, or at least not all of it. On the other hand, someone who has not had an experience like that may wonder why it couldn't happen for them, and since there's nothing wrong with them then the experience must not be true. And then there are others who've been mistreated in some way associated with a certain belief. They seem to want to prove that every thing about that belief is wrong, to vindicate the hurt they felt. There are those that have a belief, yet decide that their belief is the only one that is right, and all others are wrong. I beleve these people have a deep fear of the unknown.
They all have something in common.

Agreed! And I have unquestionable faith in my god No Im not another crazy kid! I have just had my own experiences with the lord... I do put strong faith in the bible
In the event certain parts of it were translated correctly... although I think it would be rather wise to retranslate the hebrew texts with a computer.... then retranslate them by hand to see wich was better.... and of course the massive differences between the originals translations and the new translations  wink2.gif  

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#37    shirini

shirini

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 06:28 PM

When I was four, my friends and I was too consumed excavating the backyard for buried treasure, and playing with my dog, not talking about god.  I just knew that god was up there, he created everything and he loved me no matter what.    

I was not raised on religion but spiritualism and mythology, my mother is a Sufi and my father a Zoroastrian.  They read mythology to me, and since they come from a country of religious fanatics and they believed that teaching my brother and me religion would only be psychologically harmful to us.  My husband and I are in a similar situation, different beliefs systems, and we plan to raise our children as my parent raised me.

Remember we are the ones that complicates a child’s faith by feeding religion to him or her.

#38    Nethius

Nethius

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (DespondentDave @ Jan 9 2004, 01:35 PM)
Four year old children are very attentive. They hear things from a whole range of sources, not just their immediate family. Television, discussions in the supermarket, nursery, playgrounds etc. If said parents believe that the only things their son ever learn is from them, then I seriously doubt their mental capacity to be parents.

agreed!

Also did a quick search for "baby tell me about god and the angels i'm forgetting"

found 2 links....

here and here

One tells the story of a young couple who had a little girl, three or four years old and a newborn baby boy. The little girl kept asking to be left alone with the baby, but the parents were anxious. They had heard about sibling rivalry and were a little afraid. "What do you want to do with him." "Nothing." was the reply. "I just want to be alone with him."

She begged for days and was so insistent that the parents finally agreed. There was an intercom in the baby's room, so they decided that they could listen and if the baby cried then they could rush into the room and make sure everything was alright.

Finally, the little girl went in and approached the crib. Alone. She came up to the newborn baby, leaned into the crib and over the intercom the parents heard her whisper, "Tell me about God ... I'm forgetting."

He told me this story about a young couple who had a little girl and a new baby. And the little girl wanted to be left alone with the baby, but the parents were afraid. They heard of jealous children hitting siblings. They didn't want the baby hurt. So they said, "No, no, no, not yet. And why do you want to be with him? What are you going to do?"  "Nothing. I just want to be alone with him."  And she begged for days and was so insistent, that the parents finally agreed.
    Well there was an intercom in the room, and so they decided they could listen. And if the baby cried, they could go in to see if everything was alright. So the little girl went in, approached the crib, all alone. And she came up to the new-born baby, and over the intercom they could hear her whisper, "Tell me about God. I'm forgetting."
  this page states this story came from "Sophy BURNHAM: Angel Letters, Ballantine Books (New York, 1991), pp.139-140"

My conclusion, this story is false.

#39    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for doing the legwork Nethius!

As I said, I was certain that I'd heard it before.

I note that the story has been doing the rounds since 1991. I hardly need point out that this is a considerably longer time than the little boy in the original post.

#40    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:47 PM

maybe there were truly multiple cases of this? either that or its a hoax  wink2.gif  

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#41    sonofkrypton

sonofkrypton

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the sources nethius i'll have to be asking some questions to my relatives sorry for jumping in with both feet everyone in future i will wait and do a little more searching on such things still we had a few good comments anyways cheers everyone thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  

To be truly immortal you must first live a life worth remembering - Brandon Lee

#42    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,696 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:50 PM

...pats himself on the back for not being drawn into this one.... whistling2.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#43    doink

doink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

Personally I have a little girl, and I don't force any beliefs on her. I go to a lot of Native Americam ceremonies and it would be wrong for me to force her to go or participate, as they can be very phycisally challenging. She does choose to go, however, if only to play with the other kids, away from the ceremony. But sometimes she insists in participating. I always ask her if she's sure, the sweatlodge can be very hot, and she still insists. She has a great spirit, and a lot of times I listen to her and how she feels about something, because she has an innocence and sense of magic so pure that she is my teacher, not the other way around. She likes to hear the old Native legends, and I tell them to her. They are often very funny and even inspired the Road-runner and Coyote cartoons. I'm very leary of teaching her the Bible, however. She knows about the difference between good and bad but I don't want to frighten her into submission with the concept of hell. Not to step on anybody's belief system, it's just I believe kids should be kids. I'd rather listen to her and learn how magical the world really is. It's helped me immensely and opened my eyes to how close the spirirt world is. I can offer no proof of the things I've seen and experienced, I wouldn't dare take a picture.  

#44    crosswarrior

crosswarrior

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

• In The Name Of God, Impure Souls Of The Living Dead Shall Be Banished Into Eternal Damnation. AMEN

Posted 10 January 2004 - 12:02 AM

I agree with Doink. Children, and all people for that matter should be allowed to believe the way they will. They should by all means be taught a standard of right or wrong; and If I have children ever they will be raised in a house where the moral center is founded on the Bible. At the same time though, I realilize that they will have to come to the point of choosing to believe in what they really want to. Not what I would desire to force them to believe. People are like soap, when you try to keep them in your grasp, you either crush them, or you lose them.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum.
(Justice, though heaven fall)

Enter freely. Go safely and leave something of the happiness you bring.

#45    Tess

Tess

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:01 AM

I have some questions and thought this would be the right thread to ask............
We were made in God's image?So does that mean God looks like an everyday,normal human?Where did people go when they died BEFORE religions were started?Why do all the religions seem to worship someone different?Like some worship the Virgin Mary,others Jesus,etc.I thought God and Jesus were not the same person,so why do some religions only worship Jesus?How do you know which religion is right and which is wrong?Did God create man AFTER all the other types of man were already here,or was it neanderthal and the other pre-historic men that he created? dontgetit.gif  

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
~Ambrose Bierce~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users