Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New proposed Space Currency

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,246 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:43 PM

I heard about this on the radio. This currency was designed to be as safe as can be for use in space. Maybe for trade with anyone we meet out there too.

Here is the link to the BBC article.
Quid

Do you think we will need currency in space anytime soon?

My opinion is that like Antarctica, space will be multinational and I'm really not sure why we couldn't just use the numbers on our cards. People got by with cards before magnetic strips showed up.

Edited by DieChecker, 07 October 2007 - 12:47 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

I heard about this on the radio. This currency was designed to be as safe as can be for use in space. Maybe for trade with anyone we meet out there too.

Here is the link to the BBC article.
Quid

Do you think we will need currency in space anytime soon?

My opinion is that like Antarctica, space will be multinational and I'm really not sure why we couldn't just use the numbers on our cards. People got by with cards before magnetic strips showed up.

What an amazing article!

No, I don't think we'll need currency in space anytime soon.

There are some pretty outlandish ideas in this article, other than the lofty name, which borders on the ridiculous:  

Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination,

Jeez...

Intergalactic, eh?
Someone, it appears is jumping the gun...by centuries perhaps.

It is designed to withstand the stresses of space travel and has no sharp edges or chemicals that could hurt space tourists.

What about existing currency and coinage has sharp edges that could hurt "space tourists"?   And, how is it that existing currency is incapable of withstanding the stresses?   I'm also interested in this bit about chemicals that could harm people.  What are they?

"None of the existing payment systems we use on earth - like cash, credit or debit cards - could be used in space," said Professor George Fraser from the University of Leicester

Hmmm...
That's an interesting statement...

Anything with sharp edges, like coins, would be a risk to astronauts while the chips and magnetic strips used in our cards on Earth would be damaged beyond repair by cosmic radiation," he added.

Using any sort of technology that involved sending and receiving information from Earth would also be impractical because of the distances involved.

I think this is utterly ridiculous.  The distances involved?
Where in the universe do these people think that "space tourists", if and when they ever actually exist, will be going?   And if cosmic radiation is protected against for the traveler him or herself, what makes this person think that a credit card would not survive  (besides, you'd need the number, not the card)?

National Space Centre scientists predict that regular trips into space will be commonplace in the next five years and that tourist facilities on the Moon are a distinct possibility by 2050.

In the next five years?  
Tourist facilities on the Moon by 2050?

These people are predicting commonplace trips into space by 2012???
There will be nothing commonplace about any space flight, even in 2012.  We'll just be getting ready to put Orion through its paces around that time.

I'm having a really hard time thinking that any commonplace private enterprize tourist space flights will be happening anytime within the next 20 years.  Five seems ridiculously optimistic.   And tourist facilities on the Moon by 2050 seems a bit of a stretch as well.

Nothing's impossible of course, and I'd love to see some private space flight development.   Within 5 years indicates to me that someone is dangerously unaware of the difficulties faced in doing such a thing.   But even if these somewhat optimistic predictions take place, and say there is a tourist facility on the Moon in 2050...where only the very richest of humans could possibly go, what are they going to buy that they'll need some intergalactic currency?

What would prohibit electronic transfers of funds, from a computer on the Moon, using a plain old credit card number?

The things people use their time to think of sometimes amazes me...

#3    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

What would prohibit electronic transfers of funds, from a computer on the Moon, using a plain old credit card number?
The things people use their time to think of sometimes amazes me...

About 1.28 seconds, thats all....

Yes, these people are amazing, anything for a buck I suppose.

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,858 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

Yes, these people are amazing, anything for a buck I suppose.

I suspect that you and MID are taking this far more seriously than it is intended. The highly contrived name of this currency just so that the acronym QUID is arrived at is a bit of a give away (for those that don't know quid is British slang for the pound).

This seems to me to be a thought exercise rather than a real attempt to define the future. If it gets people talking and thinking about the future of manned space travel (especially here in the UK where there is no manned spaceflight participation) is it really a bad thing?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:46 PM

I suspect that you and MID are taking this far more seriously than it is intended?

If we are, Waspie, I for one shall be relieved!

wink2.gif

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Ok guys, nice coin, but what is the value supporting the quid? Oxygen units? Or is it supposed to be something valued in itself like the dollar?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Ins0mniac

Ins0mniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,107 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

I'm having a really hard time thinking that any commonplace private enterprize tourist space flights will be happening anytime within the next 20 years.

Maybe five years is a bit optimistic.

But certainly it would be possible in 20 years.

The space Branch of British airline Virgin (Virgin Galactic) have already made their first test flight into space (SpaceShipOne).

And the target for their future fare of $200,000 seems pretty reasonable considering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_galactic

I reckon they are in with a pretty good chance.

Edited by Ins0mniac, 09 October 2007 - 01:30 PM.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea." - Douglas Adams

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,858 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

Maybe five years is a bit optimistic.

But certainly it would be possible in 20 years.

The space Branch of British airline Virgin (Virgin Galactic) have already made their first test flight into space (SpaceShipOne).

And the target for their future fare of $200,000 seems pretty reasonable considering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_galactic

Yes but this is only sub-orbital. You are launched, spend a few minutes in space and then return to the launch site. You never reach orbit. Virgins plans are alos currently being delayed by a fatal accident testing components of the SpaceShip Two's engine earlier this year.

The sort of space tourism that MID is talking about is still some way off, however I think it is possible that if suborbital tourism is profitable then research into orbital tourism will be kick started. Twenty years is not impossible for this sort of tourism, but it will require safe, cheap access to orbit. So far safe OR cheap is possible we have yet to achieve both in the same vehicle (the Shuttle is the prime example of this).

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

The sort of space tourism that MID is talking about is still some way off, however I think it is possible that if suborbital tourism is profitable then research into orbital tourism will be kick started. Twenty years is not impossible for this sort of tourism, but it will require safe, cheap access to orbit. So far safe OR cheap is possible we have yet to achieve both in the same vehicle (the Shuttle is the prime example of this).

There you go!  I think that cuts to the heart of the matter.

Safe, at least somewhat cheap access to orbit is essential.  Maybe in twenty years, on a very limited basis.   However,
I rather view the private enterprises as I've seen them as noteworthy, from an engineeering research prospective,  but more like playing games with a very dangerous business when talking about tourism.  

I visualize a horrid disaster occurring if such a thing is rushed...  

#10    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

I reckon if you have Burt Rutan as your designer, you have the best chance there is of pulling it off...

#11    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,637 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:29 PM

Jeez...

Intergalactic, eh?
Someone, it appears is jumping the gun...by centuries perhaps.

That was my first thought.  mellow.gif

I think it's a bit too soon to be creating a currency for space, especially 'intergalactic'.

Oh darn it........ I have to go again.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#12    Smile Now Cry Later

Smile Now Cry Later

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

This really makes me laugh.

The good die young..

#13    telirium

telirium

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

spacesuit: 1,000 quid
space boots: 250 quid
round trip intergalatic spaceflight: 10,000 quid
using a currency called the quid: priceless

a child's rhyme stuck in my head...

#14    Ins0mniac

Ins0mniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,107 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:34 AM

Yes but this is only sub-orbital. You are launched, spend a few minutes in space and then return to the launch site.

Yeah, but I think MID's comment that I was resonding to was saying he/she thought space tourism in general within 20 years was a bit far fetched.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea." - Douglas Adams

#15    GirlInBlack

GirlInBlack

Apparition

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

ridiculous..

If we are still using currency by the time we are able to travel to other stars I will feel sorry for the human race. The world will evolve along with technology. We should eventually have no need for any type of money. We will work to better humanity, not to make money. People will realize that a select few people being rich while others are poor isn't right. Everyone will have the same quality of life, and everyone will do their part to better the human race. How pathetic would we be if we still used money in the future?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users