Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Drunk Astronauts

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

great post MID thumbsup.gif well worth the read to everyone posting on these topics

Thank you, DArk...I appreciate your compliment!
thumbsup.gif

#17    DДrk_Lotu§

DДrk_Lotu§

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

• Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:11 PM

Let alone the mess you would cause aboard the shuttle when you hurl traveling at 11.2 km/s grin2.gif

edit: anytime MID I'll keep complimenting if you keep up the great posts

Edited by DДrk_Lotu§, 27 July 2007 - 11:12 PM.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done

I'AM SMISSY!!!!

The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

#18    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Personally, I don't think I could get the courage to go up even if I was completely toasted! (I'm not too keen on heights). Once in space I'd probably be ok....but then there's the *back down* to deal with!  crying.gif

Oh, I know that!!!!

You know, if you were drunk and you went up...3 g's accelleration and such, then, zero g suddenly...you know what would happen??

Picture a green complexion and vomit...

I'm trying to think of that scenario....I once flew tipsy on an airplane at night, long ago...at night in instrument conditions.   It was an experiment so I could learn what happens to you in such conditions (I was not pilot in command, by the way...I was flying right seat).   That is not a pleasant experience!

I can not imagine, being launched drunk (or even a wee tipsy), having several g's plopped against me, and then sudeenly, being tossed forward in my seat straps with that momentary feeling of falling, and expect to be functional, let alone being able to hold my breakfast!

#19    DДrk_Lotu§

DДrk_Lotu§

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

• Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

oh god flying on planes and drinking... not a good idea and so bloody expensive too lol

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done

I'AM SMISSY!!!!

The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

#20    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Let alone the mess you would cause aboard the shuttle when you hurl traveling at 11.2 km/s grin2.gif

edit: anytime MID I'll keep complimenting if you keep up the great posts

There you go!  Hurling at 11.2 KMS...that's the net result!   Think of that happening in zero gee (where's there's no "down"...or "up" for that matter... and you get the picture exactly!   And most of us don't need a visual for that scenario!

I'll do my best on the posts, DArk...thanks!

#21    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:17 AM

This whole thing, from unsubstantiated sources, is smeling pretty fishy to me.

This is exactly what the NASA Astronaut Health Care System Review Committee Report to the Administrator says on the subject:

Finding: Interviews with both flight surgeons and astronauts identified some episodes of heavy use of alcohol by astronauts in the immediate preflight period, which has led to flight safety concerns. Alcohol is freely used in crew quarters. Two specific instances were described where astronauts had been so intoxicated prior to flight that flight surgeons and/or fellow astronauts raised concerns to local on-scene leadership regarding flight safety. However, the individuals were still permitted to fly. The medical certification of astronauts for flight duty is not structured to detect such episodes, nor is any medical surveillance program by itself likely to detect them or change the pattern of alcohol use.

Source: NASA Astronaut Health Care System Review Committee Report to the Administrator (81 Kb PDF)

However NASA points out the following:

5. Two instances were noted in the report where astronauts were intoxicated prior to flight, prompting flight surgeons and/or fellow astronauts to raise concerns to leadership. Who were the astronauts who, according to the report, abused alcohol before a flight? Will there be an investigation?
The committee received allegations regarding alcohol use that it did not attempt to confirm or verify. The committee included the comments in its report to NASA, but the committee has not provided NASA the names of individuals or flights involved in the alleged incidents.

NASA is unaware of any astronauts who were intoxicated prior to flight. However, the administrator and deputy administrator have directed an internal review, which will be conducted by the Office of Safety and Mission Assurance. Until we have more information, NASA cannot determine the veracity of these claims.

Source: Findings of Astronaut Health Reviews, Frequently Asked Questions

It seems to me that this is a cause for concern and indeed the whole attitude towards the mental health of the astronauts. I do think that we have to move away from a finger pointing exercise and towards an improvement in these matters.

Did it really happen? I don't think it really matters. What is actually important is whether there was the possibility that it could have happened. What is important now is that NASA takes the necessary steps to ensure that no such thing can happen in the future and takes the necessary steps to protect the mental health of it's astronauts. Lisa Nowak's very public break down may just save the life of a crew in future, an astronaut with mental health issues on a flight to Mars could be a serious issue.

We have seen a vast improvement in NASA since the loss of Columbia, I strongly believe that they will take seriously these recommendations and continue to move forward. I worked for more than twenty years in quality control, one of my bosses was fond of saying, "the perfect organisation never makes mistakes, but the perfect organisation doesn't exist. The best organisations recognise their mistakes and do something about them". We will see if NASA is one of the best organisations once again. I believe they are.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#22    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,406 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

You know, if you were drunk and you went up...3 g's accelleration and such, then, zero g suddenly...you know what would happen??

Picture a green complexion and vomit...

Kind of like this:  linked-image  ?

Another reason why I'd never do any of this...I hate puking!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#23    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:05 AM

Kind of like this:  linked-image  ?
Another reason why I'd never do any of this...I hate puking!

grin2.gif ...yea, just like that!

#24    Stixxman

Stixxman

Poltergeist

• 3,222 posts

• "Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
    ozzy osbourne
    "you have nothing to fear but fear itself"
    Roosevelt

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

I was reading an article about astronauts taking a little nip before launch and how scandal like that is and couldn't help but think, the world is turning into a playground for lames and larrys.  Who cares if they have a little drink before launch, as long as their not the pilot or copilot who cares.  These guys have the craziest job in the world, I don't blame them if they need a little liquid courage.  Its funny too but the quetsions they asked were supposed to be anonomous, which shouldn't include releasing the results to the public so that without knowing who exactly does it every nincumpoop will assign it to all astronauts.  Im really tired of some of the dumbest people in creation(journalists) deciding whats news worthy, these dummies are clueless.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Oct18/0,4...ronauts,00.html

Edited by Stixxman, 19 October 2007 - 03:07 PM.

Proud charter member of UMA

With UMA all things are possible

#25    Finsup22

Finsup22

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

• 2,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

"You have this buildup of tension. You go out there and then it gets scrubbed, then you don't know when you're going to go. ... There were definitely times when people drank during that period. Duh. But I don't think it was ever an issue before a mission, like the day of or the day before."

NASA Flight Surgeons say "Duh". mellow.gif

"It's like a football team that's got a really bad record. You've got to pull yourself up and reinvent yourself and do a better job," he said. "In my estimation, it could be one of the best things that happens to NASA."

We'll... they are close to Miami, I wonder if there's something to that? ph34r.gif  tongue.gif

#26    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

I don't know.

I don't know what the other astronauts who aren't flying are responsible for.

I can't drink at my job, why should they be allowed to drink at theirs?

Plus, if they need "liquid courage," maybe they aren't fit for the job?

I guess it's not the drinking that bothers me. It's the idea that someone who can potentialy hold the lives of their crew members in their hands might "need" a drink at all that bothers me.

#27    Stixxman

Stixxman

Poltergeist

• 3,222 posts

• "Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
    ozzy osbourne
    "you have nothing to fear but fear itself"
    Roosevelt

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

And you exist in a perfect bubble right?
People need to lighten up.

Proud charter member of UMA

With UMA all things are possible

#28    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

doesn't bother me one bit.
don't know much about it, but from what I get there's not too much for them to do on the way up except sit back and hope they don't blow up.
wonder what it's like pulling G's with a tequila hangover?

#29    Finsup22

Finsup22

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

• 2,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Celumnaz on Oct 19 2007, 10:36 AM, said:

doesn't bother me one bit.
don't know much about it, but from what I get there's not too much for them to do on the way up except sit back and hope they don't blow up.
wonder what it's like pulling G's with a tequila hangover?

It doesn't bother me either, unless I was on the Shuttle, which will nerver happen.  I bet that ride up sobers you up pretty quick.

Oh man, I'm sober and that just made my head hurt thinking about it.

#30    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

Stixxman on Oct 19 2007, 04:26 PM, said:

And you exist in a perfect bubble right?
People need to lighten up.

Sorry but if your going to do something important like being a astronaut and go into space then dont do something stupid and drink before you take off even if you are not the pilot or co pilot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users