Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What happened in the begining?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1    knightwalker41

knightwalker41

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:08 PM

I believe in the Bible and i believe in creation, but from reading the bible through and reading ancient texts there is a lot more that happened in the time period of genesis that hasnt been included. The Bible shows in the begining that God made the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. but the jewish word that it was translated from could mean 24 hours or 1 million years. I believe in Adam and eve, but there was a lot more that happened that i wish i could find out.   Lately im trying to work out whether we all started on earth, whether we were on mars ,or whether we are just going around and around (i.e. Matrix Revolutions, there has been 6 City of Zions and all were destroyed and started again and no one knew).  I know that before the Flood (or disaster or whatever it was that caused a lot of creatures and people to disappear) that technology more advanced then we orginally thought. but what did they know? What happened back then?
why was there a disaster? Anyways probably doesnt help answer any questions but its something to think about.

#2    Consummate Deist

Consummate Deist

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:22 PM

Face it, Genesis (scholars now believe that it was written in the 5th Century BCE) is an analogy, not factual history....Only Christians believe that it more than a "Morality Story" (Just ask any Jew or Muslim).  If you want to know about the beginning, study science, if you want to know about religion, study the Torah, Bible, Koran, or such scriptures of the religion of your choice. thumbsup.gif  

Blashemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition on common sense.

#3    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:05 PM

Well face it people trying to disprove adam and eve (Im not saying that was really there names) there had to have been 2 first people somewhere along the line even if your a aithiest

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#4    Consummate Deist

Consummate Deist

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

there had to have been 2 first people somewhere along the line even if your a aithiest

Actually, there doesn't have to be only two, but neither here nor there, why would they have to be "Adam and Eve"?  There is no proof that the Judeo-Christian take on the whole matter is the truth, in fact there is more evidence that it is just a fairy tale than not..... thumbsup.gif   Incidentally, I am not an Atheist, I believe in the Creator (not the bible god) and am (as my handle implies) a Deist!  rolleyes.gif  

Blashemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition on common sense.

#5    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

So yours assuming that the first human was asexual? never heard of a asexual mammal.

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#6    Void

Void

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:12 AM

No he is right, there have never been just 2 humans on Earth in the way that is commonly thought. Populations of species constantly change. We are currently called "Homo Sapiens" but long ago beings in this population were different and would have been classified differently.

Defining where humans began in this gradually changing timeline is as tricky as determining where red starts on a gradual yellow to red color gradient.

So even though the entire human race probably shares common ancestory with a male and female individual a long time ago, it is not necessarily true that these individuals were human, or in fact that they were the only ones of their species.

#7    Duofrost

Duofrost

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

• Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing Empire, or to challenge
    the fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destin

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:33 AM

alot of ppl think that it was the big bang that started everything me personally i agree with God created us all that is what i was always told and it is what i will always believe.... then there is the Robin Williams thought "in the begining God went click and there was life:. huh.gif  

#8    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• It shouldn't be "Seize the day" but "Seize *every* day"

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (Void @ Jan 14 2004, 11:12 PM)
No he is right, there have never been just 2 humans on Earth in the way that is commonly thought. Populations of species constantly change. We are currently called "Homo Sapiens" but long ago beings in this population were different and would have been classified differently.

Defining where humans began in this gradually changing timeline is as tricky as determining where red starts on a gradual yellow to red color gradient.

So even though the entire human race probably shares common ancestory with a male and female individual a long time ago, it is not necessarily true that these individuals were human, or in fact that they were the only ones of their species.

We are called Homo Sapien Sapien there's two 'sapien'.

It take it that you are referring to evolution in your post? I think that I agree with this one too. That it started with the big bang and we all evolved. Though I frankly don't really care about the beginning - I'll agree with whatever sounds most plausible original.gif. Accoridng to my limited knowledge at this point in time, I'm going for evolution.

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Long live PLGROYR!

#9    knightwalker41

knightwalker41

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:31 AM

I didnt really start this post as a discussion as a science vs. Religion topic, as that can never really be proved or disproved. God would never come down here and say "right. everyone believe in me or i will smite you all in the next 10 seconds" we have free will, we have minds. We arent like animals who just act on instinct.  Maybe God started creation with a big bang. I dont know.  And we know from natural selection that species would change to suit their environment (although it has not been proven that a fish will change into a bear or something. whether a fish grows fur or not its still a fish. it still has the same number of dna strands or chromosons), what im really asking as to what happened with the first humans. Whether your an athesist or not, people still must be wondering what happened back then. people have found razor blades for shaving that date back to beginning of the human race. I dont believe humans were club weilding stone age neathdrathls. I believe that they  were a lot more advanced. and I believe that maybe they had some ideas that current scientists have not discovered yet.

#10    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:38 AM

please oh please research the concepts you are attempting to argue, at least so you don't look foolish..

#11    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:12 AM

"right. everyone believe in me or i will smite you all in the next 10 seconds"

Do the words "Noah's ark" mean anything to you? huh.gif He DID smite the entire population of the world for not believing in him and sinning....what you really should be asking is why he hasn't done it in a time when the people who would record it aren't ignorant, irrational, supersticious people, for whom a flood really would be considered an act of god tongue.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#12    doink

doink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:20 AM

What I'd like to know is how the heck Noah could have found and kept alive 1.4 million known species of animals (x2) and contained them within an Ark? How big was this thing?

#13    Sandy Band

Sandy Band

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:08 AM

I'm sorry knightrider, but I'm utterly bewildered by this thread.

What are you trying to ask or say? You seem to be saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong on this) that you believe in the bible "adam and eve" version of creation, but also that we migrated from mars and that we are possibly just the latest incarnation of a species, Matrix style. Then you start talking about the big bang theory, albeit a big bang performed by god, as well as natural selection

How do these separate ideas possibly fit together? Creationism, evolution, aliens and some sort of global reincarnation in one handy package?

And,

I dont believe humans were club weilding stone age neathdrathls. I believe that they were a lot more advanced. and I believe that maybe they had some ideas that current scientists have not discovered yet.

They weren't. Neanderthals were neanderthals. Humans are humans. Different species entirely. Popular evolution theory has it that early homo sapiens survived, eventually becoming modern humans, while the less intelligent neanderthals died out.

And what sort of knowledge do you believe they had that we now don't, other than the knowledge of what saber-tooth tiger tastes and wooly mammoth taste like?

Ad don't get me started on the fish turning into a bear thing. For a more sensible explanation of natural selection you could look here

http://www.biology-online.org/2/11_natural...l_selection.htm

#14    Sandy Band

Sandy Band

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:11 AM

Oh and doink, at least he didn't have to find room for all the fish, marine mammals, crustaceans etc. They could all just swim near the ark, so they didn't get lost.  wink2.gif  

#15    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:46 PM

all i can say is LOL grin2.gif  

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users