Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What happened in the begining?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46    Void

Void

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:43 PM

Anyone going to mention that the flood account in the Epic of Gilgamesh tells of a local river flood not a global flood? and there were other survivors (clearly as it wasn't global). Also local cattle were taken onto the boat, not every animal on Earth.

Subsequent versions, the old testament containing one of them, have become more and more over-exagerated with hills becoming mountains and the local flood becoming global. The characters were also changed to suit the current religious fashion.

#47    LittleIrishVampiress

LittleIrishVampiress

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

• What you seek above, sow below.

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Void @ Jan 18 2004, 01:43 PM)
Anyone going to mention that the flood account in the Epic of Gilgamesh tells of a local river flood not a global flood? and there were other survivors (clearly as it wasn't global). Also local cattle were taken onto the boat, not every animal on Earth.

Subsequent versions, the old testament containing one of them, have become more and more over-exagerated with hills becoming mountains and the local flood becoming global. The characters were also changed to suit the current religious fashion.

exactly what i said. religions change the orginal stories to their own liking, making it difficult to determine what actually happened.

"I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               - Ray Bradbury,  Zen in the Art of Writing

#48    sabretooth

sabretooth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

• serve to protect ,shoot to kill ! the undead must die!

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:36 PM

man explains things the best its mind can grasp

#49    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Jan 17 2004, 01:23 PM)
It's interesting...I was actually talking to my mother earlier today about all these lovely little debates we have...and for those who haven't read it elsewhere, she's a Christian...

oo how wierd... My dad's athiest... he says you die you turn to dirt end of story... can't find a more rational guy.  Has his degrees and a history of international business deals... Tall Blonde hair hazel eyes... I'm quite the dissappointment being short and all brown... and Christian...

I can also understand why Some religious types wouldn't want to talk to an athiest... it's a challenge to their faith.

Many things are Impossible to rationalize, and if their knowledge or intellect is weak they will succomb to the agruments of the "rational" and lose their faith.  I know my dad's challenged my faith in many ways... still does...  If I had weak faith I'd be athiest by now too...

Yeah it's off topic, but I'm tired of trying to figure out the truth this morning... rather listen to some music or something...

Well, to keep it semi-on topic...

Do I have this order right?
Flood of some kind.
Gilgamesh written.
OT written.

#50    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:30 PM

yes celumnaz thats right thumbsup.gif  

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#51    sabretooth

sabretooth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

• serve to protect ,shoot to kill ! the undead must die!

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Celumnaz @ Jan 19 2004, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Seraphina @ Jan 17 2004, 01:23 PM)
It's interesting...I was actually talking to my mother earlier today about all these lovely little debates we have...and for those who haven't read it elsewhere, she's a Christian...

oo how wierd... My dad's athiest... he says you die you turn to dirt end of story... can't find a more rational guy.  Has his degrees and a history of international business deals... Tall Blonde hair hazel eyes... I'm quite the dissappointment being short and all brown... and Christian...

I can also understand why Some religious types wouldn't want to talk to an athiest... it's a challenge to their faith.

Many things are Impossible to rationalize, and if their knowledge or intellect is weak they will succomb to the agruments of the "rational" and lose their faith.  I know my dad's challenged my faith in many ways... still does...  If I had weak faith I'd be athiest by now too...

Yeah it's off topic, but I'm tired of trying to figure out the truth this morning... rather listen to some music or something...

Well, to keep it semi-on topic...

Do I have this order right?
Flood of some kind.
Gilgamesh written.
OT written.

the world will never know sad.gif  

#52    Consummate Deist

Consummate Deist

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:07 PM

Wow! Isnt there some rule against Relegion bashing? Regardless what you guys think , Its is very rude to call Christians "Cultists"

No Student&Alive, to call something by it's true name is not rude, it is truthful.  As I have said before, I am a third generation Deist, I have never belonged to your belief system nor any other organized belief system and consequently see them with an unbiased eye.  A cult controls the actions and thoughts of members through threats and force - Christianity attempts to control the actions and thoughts of it's member through the threats of eternal Hell and the act of shunning (all denominations practice shunning, most just don't call it that), a cult is usually very interested in money - since it's foundation Christianity has always put money and power before the welfare of it's membership (remember the story of the husband and wife that were "struck dead by God" for cheating the church?), some denominations are more money and power hungry than others, but they are all quick with the collection plate and would force their beliefs on others in an instant (provided they could get away with it), and finally - a cult offers a totally ludicrous, unprovable (secularly) belief to be accepted on faith only - Christianity is all about faith in the Trinity.  That is a three - three match up and my Mama always said "If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, it probably is a duck!"  I am not bashing your religion, I am simply making the comment that all organized religions are cults. wink2.gif

Blashemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition on common sense.

#53    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:39 PM

*eats popcorn, giving a head nod to Consummate Deist*

He's goooood cool.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#54    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Absurdity

• 2,753 posts

• Life is not meaningful, therefore it is.

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:45 PM

Catholic-Christian confusion strikes again .  rolleyes.gif  

In the way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain. Normally, you only need to see what's happening in stage. That's how reality works. If you don't know then it's for the best. Actually, learning about the supernatural only increases the number of things you don't know.

Posted Image

#55    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:50 AM

oh geez, catholic-christian confusion, remove the trinity references and its the same deal:P

#56    ambyglam

ambyglam

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• When in disgrace with fortunes and mens eyes,
    Be glam!

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (knightwalker41 @ Jan 14 2004, 01:08 PM)
I believe in the Bible and i believe in creation

this is an easy statement to answer!

i believe in the bible too, but as a great novel and nothing more, yes there are many things which could be percieved as similar, but then its a bit of a nostrodamous predicament, if u write enough then surely somethings will be right.

as i see it man evolved from something ape like, then they began to worship the sun, because man has always needed something bigger than themselves to believe in, so there they were worshipping the sun because it gave them heat, light and made the crops grow! then someone clever thought of a higher being and called him god, he then went to the people and said that although the sun was the most powerful idol and should be worshipped, there was someone behind the sun controlling it called god and if they did not do exactly what god wanted then he would stop the sun shining so then there would be no heat, light or crops, so of course these primitive people followed. the leader then became a religious icon in society because he knew gods wishes (as well as his own).

this continued for many many years until there were men of faith all over the place who all thought, with our wisdom we should write down the stories and lessons taught to us by our ansestory, thus the bible was created.

however it is a fantastic novel and a great way to see how people believed in things long ago

but i find it difficult to believe that it is the only way there is to live as so many people still do.

as a gay man, it says it is an abomination for me to lay with mankind as i would with womankind, if this is such an abomination why does it occur naturally in the animal kingdom!

sorry great book but ill stick to anne rice, i like her writing better

and the next time you need to believe in anything bigger than yourself just look out of your window, the sun is still there, giving us warmth and light and making our crops grow, and it will still be there long after we are gone still doing the same thing it always does, watching over us.

p.s. adam and eve obviously did exist but not in the christian sense of it, due to the evolutionary way of life there was once a first man and a first woman, just as the egg came first not the chicken!

ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users