Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant Squid on "Monster Quest"

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
    -Douglas Adams

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:30 AM

I just finished finished watching Monster Quest on the History Channel and let me tell you, it was great! It was about the giant squid and how they believed to dwell in the Sea of Cortez and preys upon humboldt squid.

They decided to find evidence, they would attach a camera to a squid and see if it caught anything on camera. They attached it to the squid and dived to about 1000 feet. First it ran into a few other humboldts as they investigated the camera. Then, out of the darkness, comes a large squid making attempting to attack. They reeled in the squid after an hour.

The creature caught was very large, at least compared to the 5 foot long squid with the camera. Comparing the length from center of the tentacles to the eye (you can see the eye shining) it was estimated to be I think....60 feet? I'm not sure, first they said 60 feet, than they said 100 feet, it confused me a bit. But you can definitley tell that this was a big squid.

If anyone else like to say anything or give us the estimated size, I implore you to contribute. yes.gif

Edited by Cryptoman, 15 November 2007 - 04:30 AM.

The Earth holds a message for you...
http://www.geogreeti...html?ymBIzDywkx

#2    freak_of_nature

freak_of_nature

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former.

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:54 AM

However big that squid was, one thing's a given: IT WAS ENORMOUS. It actually really scared me, but this is definitely a big breakthrough for science. Hopefully now they can actually study giant squids instead of dissecting rotting carcasses.

#3    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
    -Douglas Adams

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:56 AM

freak_of_nature on Nov 14 2007, 08:54 PM, said:

Hopefully now they can actually study giant squids instead of dissecting rotting carcasses.

I agree, I think it's a more efficient way of studying these undersea behemoths.

The Earth holds a message for you...
http://www.geogreeti...html?ymBIzDywkx

#4    kanji

kanji

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

Ya that was a sweet episode. I love that theres a show that actually finds things rather than just finding the dumbest ugliest most inbred hillbilly to say, "Yep i seen err. Them came out o tha mist and scurred my dog."
Then at the end of the show concluding that there is no evidence and its all imagination.

This soul, although tied to this body in life and there for subject to the laws of this universe of which time is the most sinister; shall be freed from the grip of this universe including time after this life passes away not to exist for all eternity, but to exist with God outside eternity looking in at all points in time at the same moment. My eternal existence shall be both an instant and forever as if they were one in the same.

#5    Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

kanji on Nov 14 2007, 10:53 PM, said:

Ya that was a sweet episode. I love that theres a show that actually finds things rather than just finding the dumbest ugliest most inbred hillbilly to say, "Yep i seen err. Them came out o tha mist and scurred my dog."
Then at the end of the show concluding that there is no evidence and its all imagination.

HAHAHAHAHA That made me laugh aloud.
Its so true, that show that sometimes airs called "Is It Real?" is sometimes like that, especially on the bigfoot and yeti episodes.

"It depends on whos looking"

Posted Image

#6    Carcharoth

Carcharoth

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

kanji on Nov 15 2007, 07:53 AM, said:

laugh.gif  laugh.gif laugh.gif

I haven't seen the program in question, but I'm not the slightest bit surprised that there's enormous beasts down there. God knows what we might find if we ever were to go down to the deepest places of the oceans.

All our days are numbers
We bear the face of men
The rain, the skies are changing
But I will fly again

#7    bball

bball

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Is that a titleist?...A hole in one."

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Cryptoman on Nov 14 2007, 10:30 PM, said:

I just finished finished watching Monster Quest on the History Channel and let me tell you, it was great! It The creature caught was very large, at least compared to the 5 foot long squid with the camera. Comparing the length from center of the tentacles to the eye (you can see the eye shining) it was estimated to be I think....60 feet? I'm not sure, first they said 60 feet, than they said 100 feet, it confused me a bit. But you can definitley tell that this was a big squid.

If anyone else like to say anything or give us the estimated size, I implore you to contribute. yes.gif

They could not tell what species of squid it was so the two estimates are based on two different species of squid.   The first estimate of 60 ft is the estimated length if it was a Humboldt Squid.  The second estimate was 108 ft, which is the estimated total length if it was a Giant Squid.  The arms of this squid (whatever species) were estimated to be a whopping 18 inches in diameter!  That is insane.  Hold that up in front of yourself, those are some thick powerful arms.

Edited by bball, 15 November 2007 - 08:07 AM.

Beauty has no imperfections.  Only perfect and beautiful imperfections.

It is a fool who looks for logic in the human imagination.  However, when that imagination leaves the mind, it is fair game.

"I want to leave every conversation knowing more about you than you know about me."
Chiefs RB, Priest Holmes

For every stupid person, there is a slightly less stupid person to tell them how stupid they are.

#8    ~ MacDDT ~

~ MacDDT ~

___~ ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ ~___

• 1,235 posts

• I hope that I'm reincarnated as a bug because I know where I will find a good meal

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

wow that's a huge squid ,(keeping in mind a 5ft squid can pull you under) how scary would that be if you were diving and saw that

"It’s funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen." Alex - Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange

#9    Carcharoth

Carcharoth

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

macddt on Nov 15 2007, 09:14 AM, said:

wow that's a huge squid ,(keeping in mind a 5ft squid can pull you under) how scary would that be if you were diving and saw that

Personally I'd sh** a brickwall if I saw something like that  crying.gif

All our days are numbers
We bear the face of men
But I will fly again

#10    Mad Manfred

Mad Manfred

Cutesy Wootsy

• 4,505 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:33 AM

Footage?

#11    kenshinx

kenshinx

Poltergeist

• 3,045 posts

• oy' this guy

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Mad Manfred on Nov 15 2007, 08:33 AM, said:

Footage?

YA..!! somebody pleeeease share the vid .. sad.gif i begging you all  crying.gif

I Like Cats

#12    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

A Japanese scientist got one on video a few years ago using a lure. The giant squid, if I recall correctly, actually becaume hung up on the lure and lost a tentacle.

#13    Shadowed Soul

Shadowed Soul

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

I haven't seen it yet...but I can't wait to get home now!!

THE KRAKEN!!!!!   ohmy.gif  thumbup.gif

#14    Urisk

Urisk

Motorhead for life!

• 1,603 posts

• Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

I've seen the tentacle clubs of these beasts! The suckers alone are huge; something like 2-3cm in diameter, which is massive for a squid. The rings are particularly wicked looking. Fantastic creatures grin2.gif

Wouldn't mind seeing one of these Collossal squids. Or even a full Achie in the flesh.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#15    Carcharoth

Carcharoth

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Forbidden Rice on Nov 15 2007, 05:20 PM, said:

THE KRAKEN!!!!!   ohmy.gif  thumbup.gif

If the Kraken of old Norwegian legends actually were to exist, I think seamen all over the world would collectively sh** their pants, as the Kraken was said to be the size of a small island (and that was apparently only the body, not including the squids)  laugh.gif

All our days are numbers
We bear the face of men
But I will fly again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users