Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Home Cooks!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    Melly

Melly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

• "Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person." - Captain America

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:02 AM

Attention home cooks! Do you have an old family favourite recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation? Or maybe a traditional ethnic dish that you think we would love? Let's share some good food.

Mel's Beef Stew

1/2 lb stew beef
flour, salt, pepper for dredging
few tbsp vegetable oil
2 large carrots, cut into small dice
1 large onion, cut into small dice
half bottle good red wine, any Cabernet is good
1/2 lb small new potatoes, cut in half
1 cup assorted mushrooms (porcini, white, cremini, portabella)
1 packet beef powder
enough water to cover

1. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven.  Dredge the beef in the flour, salt, pepper. Brown beef (in batches) in oil.

2. Add diced carrots and onions to pot and cook til they start to soften.  Add the wine and stir up the bits from the bottom of the pot. Heat til bubbly. Return beef to pot and cook for 1-2 hours til beef starts getting tender.

3. Add potatoes to beef/veg mixture, stir to combine. Add beef powder.  If pot looks a little dry, add a bit of water, maybe upto a cup, enough to cook the potatoes. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, add mushrooms.  Cook til potatoes and beef are tender. Total cooking time should be approximately 2.5-3 hours.

4. Serve with nice rolls (to sop up the gravy).

"...I shake you warmly by the hand."- Willy Wonka
"Nope. I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that!" - Earl Hickey

#2    chemical-licker

chemical-licker

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:24 PM

what a good thread i only wish i could cook,  allways ends up as dog food laugh.gif  thats why she loves me

#3    Ugly1

Ugly1

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

OOOooooOO Touchy subject. I'll be suprised if you find much of anyone who want to give away family secrets.

#4    Sleeping with Fishes

Sleeping with Fishes

Remote Viewer

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Spanky's Special Chocolate Nutty Caramel Apples

2 tbsp. water
chopped nuts
4 firm apples
Baking sheets
Microwave-safe Bowls
chocolates  
4 popsicle sticks
14-oz. bag caramels

Step 1) Wash apples, remove stems and dry with a kitchen towel.

Step 2) Push one stick into the centre of each apple. Push into the top of the apple, where the stem would be. Set apples aside.

Step 3) Unwrap caramels and place with the water in a large microwaveable bowl.

Step 4) Microwave on High until caramels are melted, stirring every minute.

Step 5) Remove caramel mixture from microwave.

Step 6) Hold each apple by the stick and dip into hot caramel sauce, turning to coat. Let excess drip back into pan. Scrape caramel off the bottom of the apple with a knife, or use the edge of the bowl.

Step 7) While the caramel is still warm, roll the apple in chopped nuts.

Step 8) Place coated apples on a greased baking sheet and put in refrigerator for 15 minutes or more, until caramel is set.

Step 9) After the caramel has set, drizzle the apple with melted chocolate for a special treat.

rolleyes.gif

#5    fylgja

fylgja

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

Yummy! The chocolate sounds like a good touch. I never had mine dipped in chocolate before. grin2.gif

#6    Sassages

Sassages

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

• I get heavier as I get older because there's more information in my head...

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

Mine is really bad for you, but my kids, their friends and my family LOVE these...

Make a jam sandwich - no butter (that's English jam, I think Americans call jam something else, is it jelly?)

Cut off crusts.

Cut into 4 triangles

Dip in batter (flour, egg and water mix, no salt)

Deep fry

Sprinkle in sugar.

et voila!

Delicious. This is on old recipe used by the Army to keep the troups topped up on energy.

My Favourite thing about my dog:
My dog is worried about the economy because his favourite tinned dog food has gone up to 99 pence a can. That's almost 7.00 in dog money!

My favourite Quote:

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

#7    fylgja

fylgja

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

Here's a yummy one for this time of year:

Pumpkin Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup nonfat milk
1/3 cup pure pumpkin

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Combine egg, oil, milk and pumpkin in a small bowl. Stir pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Leave to stand for five minutes.
For each pancake, scoop 1/4 cup of batter on to a hot griddle or nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray.
Turn pancakes when bubbles appear and edges are cooked, after about 2 minutes. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes on second side.

#8    Melly

Melly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

• "Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person." - Captain America

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

Oh my goodness...I'm drooling lol. Anything with pumpkin gets my vote grin2.gif.

"...I shake you warmly by the hand."- Willy Wonka
"Nope. I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that!" - Earl Hickey

#9    capoeiranger

capoeiranger

The Self-Proclaimed Genius

• 2,437 posts

• Thou shall not...what was that again?

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

This is an Indonesian cuisine from West Sumatra, Padang. It's a spicy beef cutlets. I like this very much and you can measure yourself the spicyness to taste by reducing or ading the amount of the red chilli pepper. Best to eat with Rice, or you can also try to mix this with Risotto.

Rendang
Ingredients:     2 lb of beef, 20 pieces of shallots, 10 pieces of garlic, 150 gram red chilli pepper, 50 gram ginger, 10 pieces of clove leaves, 60 gr turmeric, 300 gr candle nut, 5 bay (laurel) leaves, 8 cups of thick coconut milk, 8 cups of thin coconut milk.
Direction:

Cut beef into several-bite sized pieces, and boil until half done
Skin shallots, garlic, and mix with chili, ...
Brown this spice mix for a few minutes
Boil beef and this spice mix in the thin coconut milk
Put in bay(laurel) leaves
Boil until dry
Add thick coconut milk, boil until coconut milk dries while mixing it occassionally

Enjoy!

Edited by capoeiranger, 19 November 2007 - 05:46 PM.

Posted Image
The Official Signature Of The Self-Proclaimed Genius

#10    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,785 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

I love recipes. I hope more people add some. I would but when I cook I never measure and I add + delete stuff each time. I only follow a recipe the first time then change it there after. I guess I could try to explain one. Beef roast with Dill sour cream gravy. Brown a beef roast, add a little water and about a tbl spoon vinegar, some dill weed and whatever sounds good. Cook in oven or crock pot till almost done then add carrots, potatoes, onions, turnips, whatever you like. Strain the juices out and add some sour cream, more dill, and a thickener to make gravy. mmmmm

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#11    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

OMG - This is sooooooooo easy and sooooooooo good.

Take a box of instant stuffing mix.
Mix in bowl with a can of chicken broth.
Add a stick of melted butter.
Brown a pound of crumbled mild sausage and add.
Add a cup of crushed pecans.
Whip three eggs and stir in.
Spray baking dish and pour in.
Bake at 350 degrees until brown on top, about 20 to 30 minutes depending on how soupy mixture was.

Melt apple or apricot jelly and use brush to put a light glaze on the top.

Posted Image

#12    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

2 salmon filets (approx. 1/2 lb each)
olive oil
tartar sauce
A quick and easy dish that requires very little effort. It works best with fresh salmon purchased the same day you plan to eat it.

Put salmon filets in a glass baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil over the filets and flip them over a couple of times to spread the oil and get a little oil on the bottom of the baking dish and the under side of the filets.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the filets. You want them to be cooked until they start to flake and become opaque inside, but don't dry them out.

Serve with tartar sauce and carrot salad.

Edited by cryingwoe, 20 November 2007 - 09:19 AM.

#13    chemical-licker

chemical-licker

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Sassages on Nov 18 2007, 09:38 PM, said:

Mine is really bad for you, but my kids, their friends and my family LOVE these...

Make a jam sandwich - no butter (that's English jam, I think Americans call jam something else, is it jelly?)

Cut off crusts.

Cut into 4 triangles

Dip in batter (flour, egg and water mix, no salt)

Deep fry

Sprinkle in sugar.

et voila!

Delicious. This is on old recipe used by the Army to keep the troups topped up on energy.

huh.gif we won the war so it must be good laugh.gif

#14    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 5,044 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

In the UK we have apple sauce with pork, horseradish with beef, mint sauce with lamb, etc. would this be the norm in other countries?

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#15    capoeiranger

capoeiranger

The Self-Proclaimed Genius

• 2,437 posts

• Thou shall not...what was that again?

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

In Japanese restaurant, of course you can have a horseradish with beef, and when I was in the Netherlands, my host family's favorite food is whatever cooked with apple sauce.

Posted Image
The Official Signature Of The Self-Proclaimed Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users