Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If the World Stopped Spinning...

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31    Ins0mniac

Ins0mniac

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

avs76 on Nov 23 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

I think FluffyBunny's post was quite relevant to what you wrote because he discussed centrifugal force, which is what keeps the earth from being "sucked into the sun".

I'm pretty sure that centrifugal force has nothing to do with the Earth orbiting the sun.

The Earth is attracted to the sun, however it is also moving beside it (ever since it was created). So it keeps being attracted to the sun but shooting past the sun due to it's sideways movement. It's sideways movement doesn't stop, because there's no friction in space to slow movement down. Something that moves in space, keeps moving until something else stops it.

Well that's how I see a planet's orbit to work anyway. I'm sure someone will correct me on the details (or at the very least, explain it more clearly than I can).

Edited by Ins0mniac, 25 November 2007 - 07:42 AM.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea." - Douglas Adams

#32    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

avs76 on Nov 24 2007, 04:47 AM, said:

Sorry I have to disagree. I feel that the effects of gravity would be higher at the poles because you are not being affected by centrifugal force as much as at the equator. Centrifugal force acts in a direction away from the centre of the spinning object. Think of a bike tyre with mud on it. The faster it spins, the more chance the mud will fly off the tyre. This is centrifugal force acting away from the centre of the tyre.

My bad, I meant to say you would weigh more at the poles. Stupid slip up. linked-image

I also think that the effects of gravity would be more the closer you go to the centre of the earth. Gravitational force is inversely proportional to the distance you are from the object. What that means is that the further away you are the less gravity there is, while the closer you are the more gravity there is. A meteorite flying by the earth might have its course deviate a little toward the earth because of the earth's gravity, but it may not enter our atmosphere and may continue on its way. However, the closer the meteorite is, the more chance there is that it will be drawn towards the planet because earth's gravity is stronger.

I know about the inverse square law, but you're looking at it too simplistically. Look at this image I drew:

linked-image

The ball on the left is at the surface, and so has the entire mass of the Earth acting on it. The one on the right has dug down nearer to the core, which means there is now some mass above it which is trying to pull it upwards, this cancels out the effect of the mass on the other side which is trying to pull it down. Now effectively there is only one smaller sphere of mass which is acting on it. If you're at the center of the Earth, all of the mass will be cancelled out, and you'll float.

#33    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

Oh boy, Let's clear a few things up.

If the earth were to suddenly stop rotating, your weight on earth would slightly increase. The centripetal force created by our rotation about our axis serves to slightly reduce gravity. We can calculate this where it would be the strongest.

We know the acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s2 and we know we can describe centripetal acceleration with v2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the object.

The radius of earth's poles are 6,356 Km and a day has 86,400 seconds. So we can find v by,

6356 km (1000 m/ 1 km) = 6,356,000 m
The circumference would then equal (2Pir)= 6356000*2*pi =39,935,925 m

So to calculate velocity (V=D/t) = 39,935,925 m/ 86,400 s= approximately 462 m/s for the velocity of earth's poles.

Now using our equation for centripetal acceleration,

(462 m/s)2/ 6,356,000 m = .03361 m/s2.

Now this acceleration acts in the opposite direction of the acceleration due to gravity, so to calculate the reduction
9.81-.03361 =9.78 m/s2

a difference of only .3%.

So if you weight 200 lbs now, you would weigh 200.6 lbs if earth stopped spinning.

Rotation can be used to create artificial gravity. For instance, if you were on a space ship spinning very quickly, the centripetal force would pull you away from the ship. If you were to order your floors and walls (floors would really be on the outside) then this could serve as a fake gravity. Like a roller coaster, the CF keeps you in your seat on the loop, if you put a floor on the 'upside' down part of the track, in space you could walk around on that piece of track like you could the ground on a planet.

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#34    avs76

avs76

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

• I think therefore you are.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

Raptor X7 on Nov 25 2007, 11:43 PM, said:

My bad, I meant to say you would weigh more at the poles. Stupid slip up. linked-image

s'cool  thumbsup.gif

Raptor X7 on Nov 25 2007, 11:43 PM, said:

I know about the inverse square law, but you're looking at it too simplistically. Look at this image I drew:

linked-image

The ball on the left is at the surface, and so has the entire mass of the Earth acting on it. The one on the right has dug down nearer to the core, which means there is now some mass above it which is trying to pull it upwards, this cancels out the effect of the mass on the other side which is trying to pull it down. Now effectively there is only one smaller sphere of mass which is acting on it. If you're at the center of the Earth, all of the mass will be cancelled out, and you'll float.

Oooooh, I get it now. That explains things very plainly. I see what you mean. Yep, I agree. Thanks for that. Sorry it took so long for me to understand.  blush.gif

#35    chris57

chris57

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• "all of life is a show and in this show there is only one director, writter and actor and that is you" Chris57

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

gravity would still obviously exsist with out the earth spinning the act of spining make us reduce our gravity, the earth is spining over 500mph could you imagine the amount of force exserted on you if it stoped ok it you want to find out i you jump out of a jet traveling at 500 miles per hour and see if the wind makes you want to stay in one spot and not fall.lol the act of gravity has to due with mass, quantum mechanics and the law of attrations not the cool little spinny thing in the carnival that makes you stik to the wall, that is cintrifical foces keeping you at the wall not gravity. gravity is caused by atoms being attracted to one another the more atoms the more gravitational force atoms are attracted to one another due to the law of attarction protons of one atom are attracted to the electron of another visa versa theywill not conect due to this attractioin because there are minor forces of repulsion from proton to proton and electron to electron, so most STABLE atoms won't attatch to one another but the ones that have an unstable electron cloud will jion wilth another unstable atom to reach a point of stability. its simple chemistry and quantum mechanics its easy to understand. if the earth were to stop rotating life on earth would be in grave danger the day side being to hott and night being to cold there might be a boundary of a few miles where life could survive on the surface or life might exsist in hydro thermal vents on the night side but human life as we know it could not survive a planet like that if were were to live like we do now.

"we are helpless to ourselfs, we are helpless to who we are" chris57,

#36    chris57

chris57

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• "all of life is a show and in this show there is only one director, writter and actor and that is you" Chris57

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:04 PM

if you could in theory stop the earth all at once everything would be flong aways and then come crashing back to earth

"we are helpless to ourselfs, we are helpless to who we are" chris57,

#37    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,942 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

Most of the physics in this thread is appalling and beyond redemption.

Part of the problem might be that terms haven't been defined and no
explanation is given for what force stopped the rotation.  There is a force
which is stopping rotation now and the days have been getting longer
because of it.  It is caused primarily by the tidal effects of the moon.

Earth's rotation has relatively very little import on its planetary motion
or the motion of bodies around it.  It is, of course, critical to the even
distribution of solar heating and what time the sun rises.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#38    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

cladking on Nov 25 2007, 03:48 PM, said:

Did somebody call for a substitute instructor?  huh.gif

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#39    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

If the earth stopped spinning we would not fall off of it. Despite what a lot of people apparently think, spinning has nothing to do with gravity, which is a function of the earth's mass.

On the contrary, spinning tends to throw you off the earth. Were the earth to stop spinning, we would be stuck here more firmly than ever. That's because, due to the lack of centrifugal force, you would weigh more.

How much more would you weigh? Well, figuring in your newtons, your velocity, and your gravitational constant . . . about five ounces for a hundred-pound person.

At the equator.

An effect you could achieve right now if you merely walked to the north pole.

And which might be canceled out anyway because a stationary earth would cease to flatten at the poles. So maybe not that big a deal.

The real difference, apart from the end of life as we know it, would be that, no matter what hemisphere you were in, the bathwater would go straight down the drain.

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#40    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

cladking on Nov 25 2007, 06:48 PM, said:

Part of the problem might be that terms haven't been defined and no
explanation is given for what force stopped the rotation.  There is a force
which is stopping rotation now and the days have been getting longer
because of it.  It is caused primarily by the tidal effects of the moon.

Earth's rotation has relatively very little import on its planetary motion
or the motion of bodies around it.  It is, of course, critical to the even
distribution of solar heating and what time the sun rises.

I thought I put that in my post above, but reading over it again I guess I forgot. Cladking is correct though, our rotation about our axis is of no import to our rotation about the sun.

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

#41    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,942 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:01 AM

Tom R on Nov 25 2007, 06:00 PM, said:

The real difference, apart from the end of life as we know it, would be that, no matter what hemisphere you were in, the bathwater would go straight down the drain.

You have the right idea but the direction water would spin down the drains
would be random rather than predisposed to one or another.  

You're right that weight change would vary dependent on the position rel-
tive to where the equator had been.

#42    avs76

avs76

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:47 AM

Tom R on Nov 26 2007, 11:00 AM, said:

I think that is the real issue here, don't you?  grin2.gif

#43    Egyptian-Illuminati

Egyptian-Illuminati

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:46 AM

Raptor X7 on Nov 25 2007, 12:43 PM, said:

linked-image

So basically from what I read so far, for there to be no gravity on the Earth, the mass would have to cancel out or not exist - which is impossible, obviously... everything has mass. So the mass causes the rotation of the earth, but NOT vice versa. Say if you stopped the spin of the earth, it would not affect the mass, correct? Thats how I take it anyway.

So Raptor X, what you are saying is that if we dug half way to the core of the earth, we would weigh significantly less. So really, there could be Subterranian civilizations utilizing this right now.... just a crazy thought. We could do this!
Alright guys, hop on the bus, we're goin to hell! devil.gif  w00t.gif

Fri. Nov. 7th/08

"Our nearness to you grows each day and soon we shall walk shoulder to shoulder with you."

-SaLuSa
Extraterrestial from the Sirius Constellation, member of the Galactic Federation of Light.

#44    avs76

avs76

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:34 AM

Egyptian-Illuminati on Nov 26 2007, 04:46 PM, said:

So basically from what I read so far, for there to be no gravity on the Earth, the mass would have to cancel out or not exist - which is impossible, obviously... everything has mass. So the mass causes the rotation of the earth, but NOT vice versa. Say if you stopped the spin of the earth, it would not affect the mass, correct? Thats how I take it anyway.

So Raptor X, what you are saying is that if we dug half way to the core of the earth, we would weigh significantly less. So really, there could be Subterranian civilizations utilizing this right now.... just a crazy thought. We could do this!
Alright guys, hop on the bus, we're goin to hell! devil.gif  w00t.gif

Yeh, that's where Hitler's Nazis, in conjunction with the underground lizard-men, perform experiments into the field of anti-gravity vehicles. But that's a topic for another forum...  tongue.gif

#45    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,942 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

Egyptian-Illuminati on Nov 25 2007, 11:46 PM, said:

A body in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.  This is inertia.  

You can think of inertia as a property of matter (which has mass) though this isn't really the
best science probably.  The Earth rotates because of its rotational inertia; there is no out-
side force to stop it in a brief time frame.  Inertia is mass times speed.  It's a vector equa-
tion and is relative to defined objects.  

Mass has inertia whether it's moving or not.  You can't even really define not moving since
the entire universe might be moving for all we know.  The planet has many liquid charact-
eristics so the means employed to stop such a large sloppy mass would be important to de-
scribing the effects.  But simply changing an object's inertia has little effect on its mass ex-
cept at relativistic (very high) speeds.  

Escape velocity of the Earth is 5.5 miles per second and the spin is about .3 miles per sec-
ond (at the equator) so nothing should be thrown clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users