Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Buddhist monk heart beat decrease?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    emerja

emerja

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been searching this site for nearly an hour now, and despite a lot of good reading, I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.
Recently a friend of me and I agreed on a bet dealing with buddhist monks.
I'm very sure that I have recently read about some buddhist monks that, by meditating, deliberately can lower their heart beat frequence to a mere eight - 8 - beats/minute!
8 beats per minute!!

I haven't had any success looking it up on the Internet, but then again, my English is not perfect, so perhaps someone from this forum can help me?

I'm really looking forward to see if any of you guys have come upon any articles, books, magazines, web sites or anything like that which can support my claim.

THANK YOU,
Emil Jacobi, Denmark

#2    LadyHay

LadyHay

Poltergeist

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

Wow, that seems extreme!  I know that when I meditate or do some forms of yoga, I can significantly lower my heartrate.  Not to 8 beats a minute though!! I'll be interested to hear more!

#3    GeneBrowne

GeneBrowne

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

• Keepin it real since 1985.

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

Interesting Read

Couldnt really find what you're looking for outright ... but that article may help ... I never read it all.

Information is not knowledge. - Albert Einstein

With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another.  - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

The supernatural is the natural not yet understood. - Elbert Hubbard

Oh wow, far out man - Tommy Chong

#4    chris57

chris57

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• "all of life is a show and in this show there is only one director, writter and actor and that is you" Chris57

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:19 AM

its easy to control your heart if you cocentrate on your heart beat it can increase or decrease number of beat but this is potiential damaging to your heart and if you have a weak heart it could lead to yourself being taken to a hospital or even death. when i was younger i experiments with my heart a few times i found that i could almost entirely stop my heart it was fascinating yet very painful and i got an odd expirence from it i felt like i was dying for a second and afew a few mins i felt different like i just had new found energy. it is best to aviod doing such experiments on your own body after all you don't know what the concequences might be.

Edited by chris57, 28 November 2007 - 02:20 AM.

"we are helpless to ourselfs, we are helpless to who we are" chris57,

#5    Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower

Alien Abducter

• 4,480 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:34 AM

I would be very wary of doing such a thing (not implying that you are going to Emerja mind! original.gif )

As far as I am aware, there are certain muscles within the human body that work irrespective of whether we will it or not.  The heart is one of those and if someone were able to slow their heartbeat, they would be interferring with its natural movement - do it too often and the person could find that their heart will not know what the hell it is doing.

I have no trouble, however, with believing that some people can do it - Buddhist monks included, but I should imagine they would have had years and years of training and meditation to be able to do this and I should also imagine that they would be fully aware of all the risks involved.

I too, looked around the internet for the 8 beats per minute thing, but was unable to find anything sad.gif

Edited by Lotus Flower, 28 November 2007 - 02:35 AM.

One crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name
Thomas Osbert Mordaunt

The only time you fail is when you haven't tried in the first place!

#6    Nik Xues

Nik Xues

The Still Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

im not surprised if other animals can feign death [hibernate]
then why not mentally slow the heart

True Scientists consider all possibilities until they have evidence stating otherwise.
the others are idiots simply waiting for proof of existence.

#7    emerja

emerja

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

Thank you for your replies. I still haven't found "evidence" of the phenomena, but it does seem reasonable that training would enable you to perform it.

Don't worry, I'm not going to try it out myself, Lotus Flower original.gif

Anyway, I found the article from Gene Browne interesting even though it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thank you guys,
Emerja

#8    dreamland

dreamland

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:23 AM

David blaine made his hearth pulse stopped for 10 sec on Carson daly.Nothing new.

#9    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

This is very possible, but not recommended. Strong concentration can be used to take control over parts of your body that are normally operating en-auto. You can even move blood from one hand to the other to the point where your skin in one hand starts to turn pale and your skin in the other begins to "blush". Its not a good idea though. Theirs a reason why your body handles those things automatically.

Posted Image

#10    timbeau

timbeau

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

I always thought Buddhist monks were totally cool.

#11    Dalmati

Dalmati

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

timbeau on Dec 10 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

I always thought Buddhist monks were totally cool.

There is the deep sea diving champion he can stop his heart beat to 7 beats a min its sometimes useful but risky like making psy balls and similiar stuff conected with the brain and the parts of your body you dont control!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users