Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Anorexia. Schitzophrenia. possession. psychic

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

<a href="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...8-23272,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...8-23272,00.html</a>

<a href="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...2-23272,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...2-23272,00.html</a>
A DAD'S relationship with his daughter may influence whether or not she will develop an eating disorder, Australian researchers have found.

Girls whose fathers exerted tight control over them were more likely to develop anorexia nervosa, while low levels of paternal care increased the risk of both anorexia and bulimia nervosa, but to a lesser degree, Dr Tracey D. Wade of Flinders University in Adelaide and colleagues found.

On the other hand, high parental expectations, usually thought of as a risk factor for anorexia, actually weren't related to the eating disorder in the researchers' analysis. However, they found, such expectations did predispose girls to developing bulimia.

These findings are reported in the International Journal of Eating Disorders.

Positive negative thoughts..

<a href="http://www.proactivechange.com/motivation/...ts/positive.htm" target="_blank">http://www.proactivechange.com/motivation/...ts/positive.htm</a>

The process I am going to outline is similar to how you’d handle communication with another person. You listen to what the other person is saying, you do your best to understand where this person is coming from, and you tailor your arguments to address this person’s concerns. Needless to say, you don’t just pay attention to the words themselves, you also pay attention to the emotional undertones of the discussion.

So, how do you apply this when you have negative thoughts?

Normally, you would tense up and tell yourself “Don’t go there. This is dangerous territory. Think positive!”. Instead, I’m inviting you to acknowledge the negative thought: “I believe I cannot do it”.

Does this mean I’m inviting you to give up? No. It’s a fact that you believe you can’t do it… But it is not a fact that you actually cannot do it. Think about it. Ask yourself: What is behind your belief? Is there concrete, foolproof evidence that you can’t do it? Or is this the voice of fear?

Chances are what you’re hearing is the voice of fear: “I want to do this, but I’m so afraid I’ll fail that I’m convinced I won’t be able do it”.

Let’s see what’s happening now that we’ve recast the negative thought as fear. Maybe you feel bad about being afraid? So let me reframe this. You would not be afraid if you were sticking to what feels safe to you. Being afraid is a sign that you’re daring to venture out of your comfort zone. You are taking a risk. It is normal to feel fear when taking a risk.

Notice how things are subtly changing. I’m inviting you to see the negative thought as a sign of fear, which is a symptom that you are taking a risk. Hopefully, this makes you feel more positive about yourself (a risk-taker) as well as more understanding of the fear that is behind the negative thought.

“But”, you say “this is ridiculous. I shouldn’t be afraid of something like this”. Whether or not you should be afraid, the fact is you are. You’re better off facing reality: You’ll be better able to deal with it.

Dealing with fear does not mean being cowed by it. You can acknowledge the fear, respect it… and still decide to go ahead! “I want to do this, I’m afraid, but I still decide to do it anyway”.

If you’re able to accomplish what you wanted despite the fear, it will be a great victory. You will have experienced how misleading your fear can be, and how it can distort your perceptions of what you can do.

But what if you go ahead despite the fear, and are not able to accomplish what you wanted? In a sense, you will have failed. But you will also have accomplished something positive. Having acknowledged your fear, you consciously decided to confront it. This, in itself, is a victory—and a good practice for future challenges.

I hope this article inspires you to see your negative thoughts in a different light—not as stumbling blocks, but as a springboard for consciously stretching your comfort zone.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/h...ought-patterns/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Movement
INTERVOICE is supported by people who hear voices, relative and friends and mental health professionals including nurses, psychiatrists and psychologists. INTERVOICE members assert that the most important factor in the success of their approach is the importance placed on the personal engagement of the people involved, meaning that all participants are considered an expert of their own experience. They see each other first as people, secondly as equal partners and thirdly as all having different but mutually valuable expertise to offer. This can either be through direct experience of hearing voices or having worked with voice hearers (and/or wanting to).

INTERVOICE is critical of psychiatry in relation to the way the profession generally understands and treats people who hear voices and holds that their research has led them to the position that schizophrenia is an unscientific and unhelpful hypothesis which should be abandoned, (Romme, 2006).

The Hearing Voices movement regards itelf as being a post-psychiatric, (Bracken, 2005 and Stastny/Peter Lehmann, 2007) organisation, positioning itself outside of the mental health world in recognition that voices, in their view, are an aspect of human differentness, rather than a mental health problem and that, as with homosexuality (also regarded by psychiatry in recent times as an illness), one of the main issues is about human rights. Therefore by changing the way society perceives the experience, they believe, psychiatry, as it did with homosexuality, will follow.

The Hearing Voices movement is also seeking more holistic health solutions to problematic and overwhelming voices that cause mental distress then what it regards as the generally reductionist, disease based model offered by mainstream psychiatry. Based on their research they hold the opinion that many people successfully live with their voices and that in themselves voices are not the problem. For this reason they are prepared to accept a range of explanations offered by people who hear voices including spiritual ones and assert that recovery (see recovery model) from overwhelming voices can be achieved by seeking to understand the meaning of the voices to the voice hearer.

A detailed and neutral account of the significance of the Hearing Voice Movement entitled "Can You Live With the Voices in Your Head?" was published in the New York Times Magazine in 2007, the author Daniel B. Smith noted that the movements "brief against psychiatry can be boiled down to two core positions. The first is that many more people hear voices, and hear many more kinds of voices, than is usually assumed. The second is that auditory hallucination — or “voice-hearing,” H.V.N.’s more neutral preference — should be thought of not as a pathological phenomenon in need of eradication but as a meaningful, interpretable experience, intimately linked to a hearer’s life story and, more commonly than not, to unresolved personal traumas."

Edited by crystal sage, 04 December 2007 - 08:34 PM.

#17    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

Voices in the head 'are normal'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5346930.stm
Hearing voices in your head is so common that it is normal, psychologists believe.

Dutch findings suggest one in 25 people regularly hears voices.

Contrary to traditional belief, hearing voices is not necessarily a symptom of mental illness, UK researchers at Manchester University say.

Indeed, many who hear voices do not seek help and say the voices have a positive impact on their lives, comforting or inspiring them.

Human diversity

Researcher Aylish Campbell said: "We know that many members of the general population hear voices but have never felt the need to access mental health services.

"Some experts even claim that more people hear voices and don't seek psychiatric help than those who do."

Some who hear voices describe it as being like the experience of hearing someone call your name only to find that there is no one there.

It doesn't seem to be hearing voices in itself that causes the problem
Researcher Aylish Campbell

"I learned to live with voices"

People also hear voices as if they are thoughts entering the mind from somewhere outside themselves. They will have no idea what the voice might say. It may even engage in conversation.

The Manchester team want to investigate why some people view their voices positively while others become distressed and seek medical help.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/73002.php

Edited by crystal sage, 04 December 2007 - 08:42 PM.

#18    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Then ... one has to think of Mediums... who hear ..see... experience spirit...communicate with the dead...

Telepathy...  

Empathy...

Think of the more spoken about one... where sometimes the partners of a Woman going thru labor pains  experiences the same thing.!!!

or when twins know... feel ..anything traumatic or out of the ordinary happening   to the other???

Or a mother knows when her child is in trouble...  can sometimes hear them calling , even when they are miles away...

These events are usually accepted... but seen as a wonder.. spiritual.. then references are made of the strength of love.. how it can promote/inspire supernatural..experiences...

we smile.. get all these religiousy feelings... think it's time we went to church again.....reconnected...

So some hearing voices... strange connection feelings are seen as positive.. others not so...

Yet they exist...

Mostly we treat it with  fear...  as if something were wrong...

If we think of all the energy around us also can project radio (hearing).. feeling... thought signals...

and that we have the ability to be the receiver.. were we have the basic where with alll to selectively tune into all or any experiences... multidimentionally...

but we automatically have a 'child lock' on most channels  as it would be hard to function in this world if all our senses where constantly bombarded with information...

We learn to select our  level of awareness.. via  what we see as 'expectation'  it kind of pushes the buttons to various channels when we are ready for them.. or will them... or if it is important, for our functioning.. survival...

prods.. are usually felt as intuition...

#19    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

... huh.gif ...I wonder if... visual exercises such as these may help psychological conditions???

<a href="http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/" target="_blank">http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/</a>

75 Optical Illusions & Visual Phenomena
(Visual Illusion · Optische Täuschung)
by Michael Bach

These pages demonstrate visual phenomena, and »optical« or »visual illusions«. The latter is more appropriate, because most effects have their basis in the visual pathway, not in the optics of the eye. When I find the time I will expand the explanations, to the degree that these phenomena are really understood; any nice and thoughtful comment welcome.
linked-image

linked-image

Whether by using positive feedback.. training the mind to observe how perceptions can  be changed thru expectation..

Would it have theraputic benefits????

Edited by crystal sage, 07 December 2007 - 08:51 PM.

#20    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Is there any level of Synesthesia involved????

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/2/21/144256/437

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes...g_summary.shtml

The synaesthete in all of us
Two synaesthetes seldom agree on the colours or tastes they experience. While Covent Garden may taste of crinkly chocolate to James, it's very unlikely to have the same taste for another synaesthete. And Dorothy's brother Peter, also a synaesthete, won't see M or Z in the same colour as she does. But despite these differences, scientists are now beginning to discover more and more overarching synaesthetic patterns.

Dorothy doesn't only see letters and numbers in colour. Music produces a riot of colour, too. As Dorothy hears notes going from low to high, her colours change from black and purple to mid-browns and then yellows and whites. Overall, lower notes evoke darker colours and higher notes brighter colours - and this pattern is true for most synaesthetes.

But surprisingly, when non-synaesthetes are asked to match colours and music, they show a similar pattern. Most of us seem to associate low notes with darker colours and high notes with brighter colours.

The evidence of the synaesthete in all of us doesn't end here. Another clue comes from the way we manipulate numbers. More than half of all synaesthetes who see coloured numbers also experience their numbers arranged in space around them. Heather Birt is such a synaesthete, and she's followed by a stream of numbers wherever she goes.

Recently, scientists started to investigate how non-synaesthetes deal with numbers. They found they're better at manipulating small numbers with their left hand, and their bigger numbers with our right hand. This suggests that we all somehow think of numbers as arranged in space, even if we're not aware of it. More evidence, it seems, that we're all synaesthetic to some degree. It's just that some people experience a more exaggerated version.

http://neuromaggio.blogspot.com/

Edited by crystal sage, 07 December 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#21    Electra Rain

Electra Rain

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

• Always remember that you are connected to all you see and know. Love always protects.
    Blessed be

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

crystal sage on Dec 3 2007, 10:12 PM, said:

The present way is to see anorexia as a disease.. separate it from the person.. call it the negative mind...

That way the sufferer can learn to separate him/herself from these thoughts..look at them from another perspective..and even draw a chart of the thoughts that they have... which are real..belong to the individual... and positive... and which  thoughts are of the negative mind...that do not benefit the individual...  which is the anorexia... the eating disorder...

It gives them a base to work from...  it helps gives the  person the strength to fight this illness back... by recognizing it   as separate  part of their mind... that  is has been altered.. hurt by some past   or accumulated stress..  

Once they learn to separate oneself from the anorexia..  or  binge purge... eating disorder..

learn how it's controlling it's thoughts... one can anticipate situations... rethink how one used to  behave/react in any situation...and how it has now changed..

so that they can see whether   or how their sudden reaction thought processes to any event is triggered by the eating disorder..( the anorexia/binge/bullimia negative mind..)..and learn to try to control /rethink their present responses...

(

ohmy.gif  I knew I was on to something when I connected Demon possession, or Demontic hauntings to negatitive thinking.  Thanks for the imput guys, this really helps in my studies, I'm preparing to take a course in psychology. And I can use any imput, anyone has to give...

Edited by Electra Rain, 07 December 2007 - 11:05 PM.

'Broken Angels'
Author: Electra Rain
http://www.publishamerica.com

#22    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:57 AM

I have noticed that you get the same reaction..of fear and anger.. the same wild look... from a person suffering anorexia when you try and get them to  eat some extra food as you do when you try and limit the intake of alcohol from an alcoholic ....

I wonder if negative minds are at work at both ends???

Do alcaholics hear voices..have powerful persuasive thoughts too???

Are addictions just fractured parts of the mind that have build their own world... reality...that has taken over???

If you don't cater to them.. their needs... the chemical that feeds them.. eg.. alcohol for the alcoholics.. the  relevant adictive drug for the drug addict.. the chemical imbalance created by starvation for the annorexic.. the power to that part of the mind weakens... and the balance begins to be restored so that the balance of the rest of the mind can take control again...  the voices..the urges  get dimmed..

However that fractured part of the mind needs to be healed.. the reasoning for the fracturing needs to be uncovered so that it can reconnect ..rejoin with the rest of the mind..or it will reawaken if the balance tips again....

the sleeping dragon....

Edited by crystal sage, 10 December 2007 - 06:00 AM.

#23    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:07 AM

Then there is the idea of 'walk-ins'....
http://www.crystalinks.com/walk_ins.html

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/walkin.htm

...note:  there would be reputable contracts in the spirit world ..where they take over with permission...  if that is the case... there would be less reputable spirits that would try it's chance to take over with out permission... all it needs is ..a glimpse of an 'open door'... a weak moment.. that needs only a momentary opening....

...could it happen during a traumatic time when the person has 'had enough' and wishes to leave.. wishes it were all over..and at a weak moment.. 'allows' another spirit to take possession???

or at an energetically  low time when astral travelling in sleep..a stronger spirit takes over.. or tries to squeeze in by trying to negatively  manipulate the person..to weaken it energetically ..so that it can slowly take over???

Note the personality change of the afflicted person.. the rages.. the changes of mannerisms... tastes.. behaviour...

..Could this be the case???

..Any ideas????

Anyone???

Edited by crystal sage, 10 December 2007 - 06:11 AM.

#24    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

... mellow.gif ... I can't help feeling that there is a link there somehow...

http://www.mytherapy.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2186

When we read quietly to ourselves... can't we at will hear it on different levels???

Then there is telepathy...  the
catching of other's random thoughts on accasion..

It has been reported to have accured at highly stressful times... when there is an empathic link.... like when a parent can hear their child calling when they are in danger..

Why can't someone hear someone else's negative talk.. especially when energetically they are on the same channel...wave..

or when they move into a negative space ..that has had some trauma in the past... a haunted place...????

#25    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

Archive of Resistance:Anti-anorexia/anti-bulimia

http://www.narrativeapproaches.com/antiano...rexia_index.htm

This web-site intends to provide a response to the question that has been at the very heart of its inquiries - 'why are so many of the 'concentration camps' of anorexia invisible to their inmates, despite the slave labouring and death marches, let alone the rest of us who stand by seemingly unaware?'

But just look carefully around on those pleasant sunny afternoons. Wander through city parks and you will see them kitted out in $250 Nike triathelete running shoes and the latest in fashion gym-wear with designer logos emblazoned along the stripe running the length of their track-pants and across bulky sweat shirts. Perhaps you wonder about their leg and arm warmers. But if you dare, look into the eyes of these torture-cizers. To this question - 'Can you tell the different between a woman exercising and torture-cizing at your gym? -no anti-anorexic veteran has any difficulty whatsoever discerning one from the other. They say - 'It's all in their eyes. The pain on their faces!'

Anti-anorexia allows us, if we listen carefully, to not only hear what anorexia has to say but how it says it. However it does not tell us exactly what we are hearing. That is for all of us to find out. There are some questions that might guide our enquiries. For example, what sense can we make of the fact that anorexia speaks so convincingly to so many young women (and some men) in so many places around the world? And why some places and not others? Anorexia's ubiquity is ironic when you learn that it provides so many with reassurances, fondly whispered, such as 'You are the only one' 'You are so special to me!'. Claiming that anorexia is so widespread in no way denies it capacity to find almost any young woman's Achilles hell.

How does anorexia enter a young woman's life, impersonate her for a period of time before becoming her ventriloquist? What is so frightening is that the words coming out of their mouths in any number of mother tongues is so much the same. For such reasons, shouldn't we we then concern ourselves about what is this 'power' that is pulling so many strings on so many lives? And furthermore, how does such 'power' spin so many deadly webs than entangle so many young lives, bleeding them of hope so that nothing but their annihilation is imaginable? How does Anorexia conceal itself so that it can proceed without much resistance to speak of or without almost any public outcry? We know all too well that executioners keep their faces well hidden. But anorexia's 'power' is far more treacherous, so insidious in fact that it has young women torture and violate themselves while it remains in the shadows of their lives surveilling them. Anorexia not only claims its innocence but goes further than this. It now promises these young women the means to escape the very web in which it has ensnared them. They are told that a strict adherence to anorexia's regime of rules and regulations will 'set you free' "You are not to put a foot out of (my) line!" "If you do what I say, you will be richly rewarded by your heart's desires" "If you fail, you will deserve what you get and get what you deserve!" They are soon to learn that they can never satisfy Anorexia and they are now on a 'diet to death'. Each and every attempt to reach the anorexic standard and their inevitable failure to do so unwittingly tangles them further into the web. And the web now starts closing in on them, slowly but surely squeezing the life out of them.

Anorexic torture is applied with exquisite psychological sophistication and a cruel professionalism. Nowhere does it apply brute force, dismemberments or public spectacles so typical of tyrannical powers. Rather anorexia acts not by deed, but by incitement, invisible to be sure but audible. It has a voice that speaks with such guile, authority and finally inspiring such fear that young women are gagged and silenced. To its very 'voice' we turn to find it out and it reveals a great deal.

The 'torturer's 'voice' is beguiling by speaking both as the 'good guy' and the 'bad' guy'. Such tactics are well known where the intention is to break the 'will and the body. The 'good guy' is so obsequious and flattering, promising glittering prizes, perfect happiness and superiority. Such promises will be delivered when these young women relinquish themselves - mind, body and spirit - and become obedient and docile. The 'bad guy' doesn't administer punishments but has these young women inflict them upon themselves. What is withheld, although it cannot be kept forever, is that such a submission entails signing their own death warrant.

For all intents and purposes, it has these young women execute themselves. Their death certificates will show 'drug overdoes...no suspicious circumstances...no police investigation warranted', 'heart failure' which omits that the deceased was required to do thousands of push-ups daily or frantically run-on-the-spot as if her life depended on it, or a 'diagnosis of anorexia nervosa' which has good standing in the DSM-4 as a psychiatric disease with a long history. The 'good guy' charms, courts and beguiles whereas the 'bad guy' vilifies, insults and intimidates. The 'good guy' does not persist for long. Once the young woman is deceived and walks innocently into the snare, this 'voice' becomes less frequently heard and far less audible when it does speak.

If we were unaware of this, how could we possibly understand why women 'run' themselves into their early graves? How could we fathom how these young women are so uninterested and seemingly deaf to our 'treatments' and wise counsel as to their physical deterioration? How else can we grasp what seems like a secret lovers' pact that excludes from their lives all those who care about and love them? And should we try to intervene, how do we respond when our well-meaning attempts are met with violence, both verbal or physical? And what do we do with our observations that such violence is so out of character as to seem to be a form of madness? How is the 'voice' of anorexia so deafening in their ears but we cannot hear it and are bystanders to such infamy?

Another order of inquiry has us consider - if we do speak out, are we so sure we do not speak in Anorexia's favour? For example, if we call someone 'an anorexic', are we unwittingly complicit with Anorexia's sinister purpose to cast these young women out of the human fold? Why are those terms of self-reproach, otherwise quaint and old-fashioned, so commonplace amongst those taken in by anorexia - 'I am worthless', 'I am unworthy', etc. If we, in our speaking, disease them, are we collaborating with Anorexia? Must we guard ourselves against arrogance, thinking it is only they who are being taken in by Anorexia? What guarantee do we have of our immunity? Could we be complicit without even realizing it? Could we perfidiously betray them without even any second thoughts?

After all, anorexia is everywhere and nowhere in the Western world and right now is very likely following in the wake of MacDonalds as it blazes its trail through the former communist empire. Do we have to know how anorexia operates before we can even offer an informed opinion? And must we do something soon? After all, "more cases of anorexia and bulimia are reported every year, and between 5% and 10% of females 14 and over, suffer from such disorders, according to the no-profit group, Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention" (McDowell, J. and Park, A., Time, June 29th, 1998 p.52) Has anorexia wormed its way into the very languages (e.g. psychology, psychiatry, etc) we use in our vain attempts to track it down and find it out? Perhaps anorexia speaks these language(s) even more fluently and with more dexterity than most of us. Why? Is it surer about its purposes - to break these young women's will, to convict them as inadequate or flawed, demand their confessions than we are with our healing intentions? I propose this because so many of the 'treatments' for anorexia blame either the victim of it or their families (and in particular, their mother) and proceed by way of 'examination' of everyone's every thought and feeling until one or more of the parties agree to confess. So often, in my experience, anorexia had already instigated these young women to surveil and police their every utterance and gesture against anorexia's 'measure'. Their lives, in a manner of speaking, are numbered, counted, compared against 'norms, specifying what qualifies them as a person gendered female. And what's more, a 'good' person or woman. Anorexic 'measures' never stand still but keep shifting until Perfection is the minimally satisfactory criterion for the status of 'woman/person'.

Edited by crystal sage, 11 January 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#26    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

http://www.narrativeapproaches.com/antiano...hting_words.htm

If she could have spoken 'anti-anorexically' *, she may very well have proclaimed her conscientious objection to Anorexia rather than such a confession of her offenses.

"Anorexia, why are you trying to confound and confuse me so that the contradictions I experience growing up as a woman in these times are obscured? Why did you appear just when I started to make myself up? How did you turn what I began to critique into my own estrangement? Why would you want to turn me against my very desires, wishes, opinions and appetites? And if I were, with a community of like-minded women, to reflect upon such matters as how and why you conscript us into prison camps, where we are defenseless against your tortures and violations, might we turn against you rather than our own bodies, minds and spirits?"

#27    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

http://www.narrativeapproaches.com/antiano...er/hgletter.htm

Letter to the Editor, Transcultural Psychiatric Research Review

Response to Howard Steiger's (1993) review of "Psychiatry as Social Ordering: Anorexia Nervosa."

Helen Gremillion  1994

I am writing in response to Howard Steiger's (1993) review of my  article, Psychiatry as Social Ordering: Anorexia Nervosa, A Paradigm  (Gremillion, 1992). I appreciate this opportunity to clarify my ideas about psychiatric constructions of anorexia, and to respond to Steiger's criticisms.

First, let me briefly summarize my argument in *Psychiatry as Social Ordering*. In this paper, I write about approaches to understanding and treating anorexia that work with the problem as if it resides within individuals and/or families. These approaches objectify and pathologize anorexia by focusing on a damaged "self" within a damaged body and within a "dysfunctional" family. I argue that, while this objectification works to remove anorexia from its cultural context, it is based on ideas that are culturally constructed. For example, objectivist approaches within psychiatry assume a mind/body dichotomy, and also assume an individual/family dichotomy by supporting individuation and individuals' "separation" from families. These ideas are culturally specific, but are taken to be self-evident.

yes.gif
I argue that these powerful cultural dichotomies provide a context or the emergence of anorexia in the first place. Anorexia is about a struggle with these dichotomies a struggle that is experienced as  "internal" to persons and families, just as an objectivist psychiatry would represent it. However, even as anorexia depends on a tacit acceptance of these dichotomies, it also problematizes them by revealing  that they are embedded in gendered power relationships. Treatment approaches that are pathologizing participate in these power relationships by representing anorexia as deviance from a "healthy" norm. In contrast, I try to show how anorexia *challenges* dominant norms of "health" by  exaggerating them e.g., control over the body, calculated self-management, individualism. The challenge is that this exaggeration has paradoxical, and horrific, effects: total lack of bodily control, and  a profound experience of inefficacy and dependency. I show that treatments for anorexia positing a damaged or deficient self, and prescribing techniques of self-control to overcome this problem, recreate  the very conditions of the problem.........

Edited by crystal sage, 11 January 2008 - 08:07 PM.

#28    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

What is Anti-anorexia/anti-bulimia???
©  David Epston, All rights reserved
http://www.narrativeapproaches.com/antiano.../eva_wisdom.htm

What is anti-anorexia? How is it to be defined? We cannot appeal to a dictionary to find its definition. It is a term that has as many interpretations as those who externalize anorexia and by doing so, venture on the beginning of an anti-anorexic life.

Externalising anorexia is a two stage process. The first stage requires being able to 'see' it as separate from you. This involves your mind in coming to understand it as being a separate identity to yourself. The second stage is to engage your heart in KNOWING anorexia's separateness from yourself. This is essential to sustaining your anti-anorexic venture. Aren't 'seeing' and 'knowing' the same? No. For isn't it possible to 'see' something and understand that it exists without necessarily 'knowing' about it? Anorexia is no exception. Reaching the place of 'seeing' it as separate to you does not involve your heart in being able to feel that separateness and without that, there is a lack of power and control. By merely 'seeing' anorexia, that does not annihilate it. It can continue, albeit at times slyly, to exert it's control over you. There will be times when an anti-anorexic life venture seems promising but lacking what I have referred to as 'heart knowing' of anorexia's separateness from yourself, it remains impossible to sustain your anti-anorexia. For with such 'knowing',there comes control and with control, there is power.

http://psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/.../full/56/9/1168

Edited by crystal sage, 11 January 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#29    Intelligent Insight

Intelligent Insight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

• The Man Who Walked With a Limp and a Cain Knew Not How lucky He Was Until He Met The Man With No Legs.Think about that-

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

My grandma had anorexia for a few years....I dont think i know anyone else anorexic

The world is just an endless circle that has no begining and no end for without a begining there is no end of the world.

A Circle starts with a begining wich is actualy the end,Although that end is realy the begining wich is the end.

Makes no sense does it?Neither does life as we know it.

#30    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,326 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

http://www.wellmindminnesota.org/nutrition.html

While the doctors here brag about their 0 percent recovery rate for treating mental illness, the doctors in Canada have been quietly building their expertise in orthomolecular treatment. They have a 90 percent recovery rate for treating mental illness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users