Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

You die in your dreams, you die in real life.

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#31    ApaX

ApaX

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

• " All those times I said ' Kill all humans ', I'd always whisper ' Except one '. Fry was the one, and I never told him so. " -Bender

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

Heh, I don't even know how to control myself in my dreams, let alone getting myself killed. However, I remember I got shot and died but I saw it from a third person view in my dream.

#32    Chickens

Chickens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• yes

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

I also Died in my dreams But..In crazy ways o.o

-first Dream death: Falling of a Waterfall

But when I had that dream, I didn't Fall and Bam Everything went black and I got a Diffrent dream ( I twitched When The Boat I was on Fell)

- I just suddenly died o.o in my dreams

- I had a 2nd Dream (I didn't Die in this one) but I had one of those Sleeping-Awake Dreams. I saw The Grim reaper in my dream and I was About to scream but I was as stiff as a Board.

That's Pretty much all I can say

The Zombie may be gone, but the Threat lives on.

#33    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:18 AM

kallisti on Dec 8 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

I heard this one as a kid. Anyone have any idea where it came from?
A nightmare on elm street

#34    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:24 AM

spikeman25 on Dec 12 2007, 11:18 PM, said:

A nightmare on elm street

Not even. The belief, or urban legend, has been around far longer than that.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#35    Dogma

Dogma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

Unprovable

God? Lonely. But funny. He's got a great sense of humor. Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the ridiculous faces you people make mid-coitus.

#36    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:15 AM

Incorrigible1 on Dec 13 2007, 07:24 AM, said:

Not even. The belief, or urban legend, has been around far longer than that.
Huh. I've never heard that one.

#37    Dark Bloody Wind Goddess Haruka

Dark Bloody Wind Goddess Haruka

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• "Every tool can be a weapon if you hold it right" Ani Difranco

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

oh geeze dreams are one of two things some people think that it is just your imagination running wild others thing it is your higher self telling you someting in code if you die it usually means that something in your life died like a bad habbit your self essteme or something and rebirth must take place

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#38    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,637 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

Whether it was original with him, I don't know, but the root idea is "You cannot die in your dreams" (which implies the conditional that is the title of this thread), and the idea has currency because of Freud. Its truth depends upon the "fine print" of what he meant by to die in your dreams.

Freud's point was that you cannot quite both accurately imagine your own non-existence and also be aware that you are accurately imagining your own non-existence (just as you cannot be conscious of complying with the request "do not think of apples").

So, you get something like the earlier poster's "I remember I got shot and died but I saw it from a third person view in my dream." A big but, no?

Freud was surely aware of the Attending Your Own Funeral dream - it is a perennial favorite - but again, the essential you has not died, on the contrary you are taking in the show, enjoying your role as guest of honor.

First person viewpoint dreams of accomplishing the transition to death are rare, but people imagine what it would be like to die this way or that way all the time when awake, often vividly. Anything you can think, you can dream. Dreams are, after all, thoughts.

It's just that most death-dreaming people wake up, since we are usually "nearly" awake anyway when we dream, and Cheating Death is the best dream of all, ours for the taking on such an occasion. Only a chump would stay in the dream.

But if you do choose to continue dreaming, then you are back to Freud's point: you didn't die.

Heads, Freud wins. Tails, Freud doesn't lose. This is why everybody thinks he was a smart guy.

Edited by eight bits, 17 December 2007 - 03:45 PM.

Posted Image

#39    cryptid sea

cryptid sea

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• ACTA NON VERBA

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

false i have died in my dreams many times and im still typing. so either im a ghost of its false.

Posted Image

#40    NexusDragon

NexusDragon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

There are on occasions where I am about to die within a dream, though I always wake up just before it happens. It generally happened alotmore when I was younger, maybe it was caused by stress or just having a colourful imagination. I sometimes find that my dreams involve many things that I had been subconsciously thinking about during that day.

I dont get these anymore but most of my dreams included:

Being chased and stabbed by a dark figure, this can also include animals, vicious/rabid dogs trying to take my arm off.
Drowning/sinking in deep water - Just as I am about to give up I suddenly take a breathe and realise I can breath underwater.
Falling - Slipping uncontrollably from a high place or being in an elevator, it shoots up and out the top of the building.
Being shot - When I am shot or stabbed I sometimes find that I do not die, but am infact invincible. I mock my attacker by laughing at them.
Being crushed - Suffocation or crushing by large machinery, being in like an egyptian pyramid, crushed by booby-trapped walls.

I have also been told I have once laughed in my sleep.. I do actually remember laughing within the dream, and it just hapened to come out physically.

I've sometimes kicked my legs very suddenly and woken myself up - I have actually read that when you go to sleep you can on occasion swallow your tongue. You stop breathing and after a while you subconciously kick out and wake yourself up. If you are dreaming about drowning or suffocation, maybe thats why! dontgetit.gif

Edited by NexusDragon, 19 December 2007 - 02:56 PM.

#41    knightcrusaders

knightcrusaders

Alien Embryo

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

in my dreams i never died before , sometimes like when i fell from somewhere but when comes near the ground the i'll wake up

#42    chupacabra99

chupacabra99

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

kallisti on Dec 8 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

I heard this one as a kid. Anyone have any idea where it came from?

it could be a possibilty that that someone had a heart attack during a dream but who knows? cool.gif

#43    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

I don't think I have ever died in a dream.  Good for me.  

I do have sleep apnea, but am not plagued with nightmares.

Embrace the impossible.

#44    TehGrant

TehGrant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

• "It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you're not...."

-Kurt Cobain

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

I asked this doctor he said its half true have false if you die in your dream and your brain will sometimes but very rarely just stop working and then your body will die because your brain stopped

Posted Image

#45    unsere

unsere

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

• "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

I have been shot in a dream and felt myself die. I was in horrible pain from the wound, everything faded to black, then I woke up. I had a lingering pain in the spot where I received the gunshot for several hours afterward. Thankfully that was the only time that happened to me...once was enough.

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users