Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turnbull Canyon

Chemically_Romanced

Whittier is a nice quiet place in southern California. About a week and a half ago, I was in a car with my two friends and they're cousin was driving. It was my friend Leslie's idea to go up to Turnbull Canyon (a hilly area sandwiched between the suburbs of Whittier and Hacienda Heights) because we heard it was haunted. Driving up there we didn't see much because besides this gray figure walking by as we drove and some noises in the bushes. We stayed on the main streets because it was already dark and no one brang a cell phone or a knife.

I've been doing research on this place and I can't believe what I'm finding. There is a white supremacist, pseudo neo Nazi group there. There is a place called "The Swings" and that’s where they hang out mostly.

There is a satanic cult. They all live in a small community that is secluded. There are two properties surrounding them and they have been for sale for years and years because no one wants to buy them.

One way to get to their community is through Hells Gates. Now, trust me, DONT GO THERE. Unless you want to die, I wouldn’t risk it. Hells gates is off of Avocado terrace and there is a for sale sign against the rock wall. If you look, you can see some bricks and a path dug into the wall... that’s hells gates.

There’s another place that is just plain creepy. I’ve been by it and from what my friends have told me, its the other property connected to the cult property. It has large black iron gates and also a old for sale sign in front. This is off some old narrow road that name I don’t remember. Supposedly there are very large X's arranged in there. Some are painted, some rocks are organized into X's and such. My other friend told me that he had went there, and 3 very large identical dogs came to the gate and so they took off.

But my friends who told me about the Xs said when they were there, they shined a flashlight into the bush's and saw eyes and took off.

And here are some stories:

The hanging tree... supposedly there is a tree, near the base of the hill on the Whittier side where a man was hung. Its called the hanging tree because supposedly around the time when the man was hung (not sure what time that is) you can see a man hanging.

In the late 60's a couple were driving through the canyon to find some seclusion so they could be together, and someone followed them up. There was some kind of malfunction with the car, and the boyfriend got out to go find help, and told the girlfriend to wait in the car and not let anyone in except for himself. As the time went on the girlfriend started to get worried, she could hear it start to drizzle and branches hitting the roof of the car. She eventually fell asleep while she was waiting for her boyfriend to return. The following morning she woke up to a cop telling her to get out of the car, and not to look up. Of course she looked up, she saw her boyfriend hanging from the tree... the sound of the rain was his blood dripping onto the car, and the sound of the branches were his feet on the roof.

Continued here:

Edited by Tiggs
Please always name a source when quoting articles & please do not cut and paste the entire article.

Those all sound like stories.. where is the proof to any of those happening? Such as the kid who got his eyes cooked from a sudden bolt of electricity?

• Like 2

Those all sound like stories.. where is the proof to any of those happening? Such as the kid who got his eyes cooked from a sudden bolt of electricity?

I would like to learn more about it also :yes:

I lived in La Habra for many years and held a job on the border or Whittier. I used to climb the Hacienda Heights all the time to walk the dog. I used to climb the hills of Brea also and that was a strange place. But as for this Whittier Turnbull canyon I haven't heard a word about this haunted place. You live very close to me ( I live in Fullerton) now.

I hope you continue to keep us informed about how your further investigations go about this canyon. Having your own proof will make the experience less like old stories but relevant places to seek out for those who are willing to see for themselves. Are you a paranormal investigator that looks at all areas or just this place?

Who knew that a haunted place was right in my own OC backyard, cool.

Take care and good luck.

Were it me, I'd go through and pick the obvious Urban Legends out of the thread and then see what you have. There have been threads before about paranormal occurrences at this spot. But when you have stuff mixed in like the legend of the kid leaving his girlfriend to walk for gas it decreases interest and credibility in the "real" stuff. JMO.

Chemical, the rules clearly state...NO PLAGIARISM.

You cut and pasted your entire article without crediting the author or website.

Website where you copied the story

Edited by Aztec Warrior

Well spotted, Aztec - OP adjusted accordingly.

From the site's Terms and Conditions:

2c. Copyrighted material: If you quote text from another web site then please properly credit the source. Not doing so constitutes plagiarism, always include a source link with quoted material. Members are asked to copy only as much as is necessary when quoting copyrighted material from other web sites, do not copy and paste entire articles or web pages

Thanks in advance,

Tiggs [Forum Mod Team]

I would like to learn more about it also :yes:

Well, there was the 1952 plane crash that was almost like in Donnie Darko: There was no American Airlines flight scheduled in that area and there were no identifying numbers on the craft, Plus, none of the 29 passengers had identification, not even the pilots! And, the only published report of the crash in existence was in an old copy of my newspaper Whittier Daily News. Otherwise, time forgot about the passengers on the unknown flight.

• Like 1

Well, there was the 1952 plane crash that was almost like in Donnie Darko: There was no American Airlines flight scheduled in that area and there were no identifying numbers on the craft, Plus, none of the 29 passengers had identification, not even the pilots! And, the only published report of the crash in existence was in an old copy of my newspaper Whittier Daily News. Otherwise, time forgot about the passengers on the unknown flight.

Oh wow....I can see how there could be so much activity in that area!!! So many unsuspected deaths! So your going to investigate! GOOD LUCK!!! I can wait too see the outcome. YAAAHHHHHH another ghost hunter!!!

I've heard all the stories: the cults up at the water tower, albino colony (also attributed to Griffith Park) the swing, UFO's, the water fountain, gravity hill etc etc. The satatic rumors are just that...rumors. Hanging tree was cut down a few years back, but the fence surrounding it is still there. The axe-murder bush is still there though...Another lesser known spot nearby is Rideout Hill off of Beverly, but people around there call Whittier PD if you fart the wrong way in that neighborhood now.

I think the real danger at TBC is being run of the road by import posers who are too scared to run on a real track against real racecars.

I remember some a-holes were leaving pumpkins filled with rocks or concrete or something, and when cars were hitting them, they were damaging the cars, I used to work for a local CHP contracted towing company that would tow wrecks out of TBC weekly.

There was a girl whos body was found somewhere in Hacienda Heights by a passerby in the early morning hours, deputies followed a 4 mile long drag mark/blood trail which ended at Skyline and Turnbull, a popular teenage drinking/makeout spot.

http://blogging.la/archives/2007/03/top_la...nbull_can.phtml

Edited by rorschach

I heard about, Gloria Gaxiola was her name.

Unfortunatly, I can't drive yet so I can't just go there whenever I want. And I'm not allowed out too late either so I don't have much options. But at least it gets dark earlier now so I have more time to explore when I can. I have to call up my friend's cousin and he can drive us there. He's one of those people that drive way too fast on Turnbull like you said.

This story sounds like 20 different stories put all together in one

I know. It's like every scary thing you can think of rolled into one.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I live in the area, I've heard about all those stories but the OP has left the best one out, Midgets! yes, you read that right, Midgets, there is suppose to be a midget town somewhere up there where only midgets live, small houses, shops etc..

• Like 1

I live in the area, I've heard about all those stories but the OP has left the best one out, Midgets! yes, you read that right, Midgets, there is suppose to be a midget town somewhere up there where only midgets live, small houses, shops etc..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow Chemically Romanced , I know it's been a while since you' posted_

Who'd a thung..... right? And Right. I live in Whittier , at the base of turnbull canyon. anyway..

Since the 60"s I've felt weird just starting to ,rather, to TRY and get my dog to walk w/ me up there .

She won't go. So I started going to the library to lookin into Whittier's old News papers. yup ! as

you've stated . wow . what really caugh my attention was..... 'Dead Mans Park' .. on Broadway & Mag.

Ha! They really did just keep the bodies in the ground ! And made a park out of this 159 years old graveyard.

And two boards just for the names ....( Whittier Daily News) A lot of history!

I agree , Whittier and it past is very strange.

Quote Sarcasm is the lowest from of comunication

~ Hans Decos~

Edited by rrainn
  • Like 1

Cool article, though many of the ghost stories just sound like regular clichéd ghost stories/urban legends. The blood dripping onto the car, the hanging man...

But still cool, nevertheless.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I LIVED IN WHITIER! i knew Gloria Gaxiola. she was my neighbor. when i was in second grade i found out she was murdered. i am 17 now and ive been following anything and everything ther is about Turnball Canyon. Gravity Hill, the cults, albino areas, and every ******* nightmare u would ever dream of is ther. im not kidding i went up ther back in June. if u go to Universal Studios halloween horror nights, or Knotts Scary Farm, yeah try going to Turnball canyon.Turnbull Canyon is not a safe place. Standing in the canyon, you can get a feeling of something being slightly wrong. Those of you who have been there know that feeling.

Its legends range from satanic cults to psychotic murderers, from extraterrestrial activities to haunted burial grounds.Its legends range from satanic cults to psychotic murderers, from extraterrestrial activities to haunted burial grounds. so long story short before i get into any more i just want to say it took me a long time to find this page and website. its taken me a couple of years to find ANY possible information that i have the feeling of a born local of Whittier or Hacienda Heights. so DONT GO ALONE, and if u do bring a coffin, its for you. if you go in a group, dont be an idiot, bring a gun or guns. because i was chased with my friends one night in January 2011. so thank u for this page who ever created it. if anybody would like to see further information, *SNIP*

**Please do not publically post e-mail addresses**

Edited by Lilly
removed private content

Cool article, though many of the ghost stories just sound like regular clichéd ghost stories/urban legends. The blood dripping onto the car, the hanging man...

But still cool, nevertheless.

dear MisstreeDove dont feel like its all fake ive been ther ive even seen **** you wouldnt beleive

That is a crock of BS. that wasnt true people tried to put up a happy side of the canyon but there just being ****ing stupid

That is a crock of BS. that wasnt true people tried to put up a happy side of the canyon but there just being stupid

I heard about the midgets. They are said to be VERY mean and can kill you. But all sorts of odd people lived in the empty houses before they were torn down it might even be true.

The plane crash did happen but it's not a mystery. It is true there was no American Airlines flight. But it wasn't an American Airlines that crashed.

Check it out--

http://www3.gendisas...-hills-apr-1952

Many that died were servicemen, NOT children.

Drifters, stay outta Hacienda Heights. The police are watching you at The Gates of Hell and you all deserve to be caught!

/myth busted

• Like 1