Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US develops lethal new viruses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:44 PM

A scientist funded by the US government has deliberately created an extremely deadly form of mousepox, a relative of the smallpox virus, through genetic engineering.

The new virus kills all mice even if they have been given antiviral drugs as well as a vaccine that would normally protect them.

The work has not stopped there. The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way.

The new virus, which is about to be tested on animals, should be lethal only to mice, Mark Buller of the University of St Louis told New Scientist. He says his work is necessary to explore what bioterrorists might do.

But the research brings closer the prospect of pox viruses that cause only mild infections in humans being turned into diseases lethal even to people who have been vaccinated.

And vaccines are currently our main defence against smallpox and its relatives, such as the monkeypox that reached the US this year. Some researchers think the latest research is risky and unnecessary.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Newscientist.com

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#2    DreamRebel

DreamRebel

Psychic Spy

• 1,038 posts

• Knowledge is the weapon of choice. Those who possess it shall prevail.

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

[Edit] Post removed

#3    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:10 PM

Now why the hell are they creating virii, to destroy animals and have no means of stopping it? I know to first cure you must understand, yet this is ridiculous. Wait a second didn't we just oust a dictator, for similar reasons?

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#4    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• 1,821 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:14 PM

You're right, Blood Angel.  Why is the US government allowing this.  I wonder if this has sparked anything up within NATO.  This matter should be addressed to all countries and should not have been made without their consent.  If this virus ever escapes laboratory confinement, who knows where it'll end up.  We're only one world after all.

Edited by Magikman, 02 February 2004 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#5    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Blue-Scorpion @ Jan 30 2004, 01:44 PM)
He says his work is necessary to explore what bioterrorists might do.

and that might be to just wait and steal them.   ohmy.gif  

#6    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:37 AM

Now why the hell are they creating virii, to destroy animals and have no means of stopping it? I know to first cure you must understand, yet this is ridiculous. Wait a second didn't we just oust a dictator, for similar reasons?

its ridiculous how exactly?  

#7    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:20 PM

....*blinks*....

Anyone remember that book, "The Stand"? Where for some insane reason the US government had created an airborn virus that could and did wipe out something like 98% of the world's population.

Why is it that US scientists seem far more interested in making the next 'big discovery' than they are in bringing our species forword, and finding ways to improve our lives with science rather than destroy it?

I agree that this doesn't sound at all like 'understanding' bio weapon terrorists...who are probably buying stuff already made rather than creating their own...if anything, it's building a bridge for them to get newer and deadlier weapons to use against people.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#8    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:39 PM

Quote from the link: "The work has not stopped there. The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way."

I can understand wanting to wipe out mice, but why would anybody want
to wipe out cows? wacko.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#9    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 01 February 2004 - 09:29 PM

Its not going to hurt people  rolleyes.gif They have already tested it on enough American Citizens to perfect it, of course whos going to miss 100 or so people out of the billion of american citizens?

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#10    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:24 AM

I agree that this doesn't sound at all like 'understanding' bio weapon terrorists...who are probably buying stuff already made rather than creating their own...if anything, it's building a bridge for them to get newer and deadlier weapons to use against people.

thats a nice big assumption:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users